How many aircraft sub folders can I have in SimObjects?

ColR1948

This is what I have now:

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\AI Aircraft

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\General Aviation Props

SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\Mil

I want to re-organise the folders by adding a few more and sorting out my AI aircraft better, so how many can I have or is there a limit?

Col.

I'm not aware of a limit, and I've got 18 of them in FSX. Just keep adding, tracking what you've done, until you have enough for you -- tracking so it's easy to back out if you need to. But I suspect you can add what you need just fine.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

There is no limit (other than HDrive free space) to sub folders. You can make it simple, or you can make it complicated (lots of 'categories' list) so have at it. Nothing untoward will happen if you do. Here is sample of what is very possible.

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Aircraft FS9

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\Aircraft FSX

//

SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\Race Cars

SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\Concept & UFOs

SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\USA Jet AI

SimObjectPaths.11=SimObjects\Europe Jet AI

SimObjectPaths.12=SimObjects\USA Prop AI

SimObjectPaths.13=SimObjects\Europe Prop AI

The classification categories are limitless. At least you know where to go to delete a sim object as the SimObjects folder can (and does) get very crowded and it thus is hard to find things.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks Chuck, my folder/s are getting crowded that's why I wanted to clean them up in some sort of order.

When I was running FS9 I used to name certain aircraft types by adding a number in front of the name like:

0 Boeing 737

1 Bell 286

3 DC3

That kind of thing so I knew where certain types were.

Col.

I can't speak for how many SimObjectPaths you can have.

But I have a QW 787 with over 100 liveries for each of the -8 and -9 folders and still no issues other then when changing aircraft, FSX seems to take a while before I can switch them.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I can't say that I've found a limit, either. I add planes as I please, and when I click "Change Aircraft", it takes several minutes for FSX to chew through it all. The collection includes several payware aircraft with multiple liveries, almost any propliner you can think of, most of the better known turboprops, almost all of the flying boats Pan Am flew, and a smattering of military aircraft, and any general aviation or executive aircraft that seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, where's those Trident 3s when you want them...

Robert Smith

A trick that might offer a slight decrease in load times for some is to disable any individual liveries that you know you won't want to use.

Look in the aircraft.cfg file and change the panel= option for each livery that you don't want to read panel=0 (note this is a ZERO and not O for Oscar) - this will prevent FSX having to load the thumbnail for the livery.

If the aircraft has a specific panel or multiple panels, you can keep record of what the original setting was by using // to make a comment which is not read by FSX as it loads stuff - e.g if the original entry reads panel=HD you change it to panel=0 //HD or panel=0 //original setting HD etc

I did this for the Just Flight/CLS Airbus Long Haul product - it contains over 150 liveries in the base package. As I am only interested in a few of the liveries I made the change above and noticed a small decrease (about 5 seconds or so) in the load process. Someday, I'll eventually get around to doing the same for other aircraft.

Edited by longbreak754

Regards

Brian

Another way to cut down load times....

For every aircraft, rotorcraft or vehicle I copy the entire file into a folder called FSX Hanger.

Then, within FSX I delete all those I don't usually fly.

If I want them back, I just copy them back in from the FSX Hanger folder.

• 1 month later...

I installed NL2000, the entire scenery for the Netherlands and also all the airports.

It cluttered up the Aircraft folder with about 20 AI aircraft. So I made another folder for them...

NL2000AI in the SimObjects folder and moved them all inside.

and added...

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\NL2000AI

to the FSX.cfg file.

Do I need to edit ANYTHING else for them to be found?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Another way to cut down load times....

For every aircraft, rotorcraft or vehicle I copy the entire file into a folder called FSX Hanger.

Then, within FSX I delete all those I don't usually fly.

If I want them back, I just copy them back in from the FSX Hanger folder.

Yes that's similar to how I used to do it. It makes no difference to loading time if the files are all in the SimObject folder, or any other within the FSX core file structure. So I'd move the aircraft folder to the hangar - leaving sounds, gauges and sundry addon files in-situ, making moving things back a simple drag'n'drop.

What you are doing ColR1948 is making things difficult for yourself for no aggregate benefit: ALWAYS put non-active flyable aircraft in a SEPARATE folder OUTSIDE of the core files.

Thanks Brian,

AI is not a topic I'm very knowledgeable in since I just buy ready made like UT Traffic Live and let it do it's thing.

IME it is not the changing of the aircraft that is slow but the overall load time of FSX.

At start up all of the aircraft simobjects (along with the scenery info etc), are read into memory.

However, when you go to change an aircraft only those items that have a Panel= line in the aircraft.cfg are loaded in to the aircraft selection view. As most AI model .cfg files have no Panel= line they are not loaded into the aircraft selection view.

Regards

Brian

Hi Col, where can I find more information about User Objects?

In your simulator you have [Main] User Objects = Airplane, Helicopter. Under my FSX main root (is this [Main] in your sim?) I don't have it, just SimObjects.

I used World of AI and it placed all AI Aircraft under SimObjects\Airplanes. After learning how to work with the User Objects I would like to move AI Aircraft from SimObjects\Aircraft?

In the SimObjects you need to create sub folders like this then name them to whatever you like then put the appropriate aircraft in them.

SimObjects.jpg

Then you need to edit the FSX.cfg to match the folder names.

fsx.jpg

Edited by ColR1948

I have my aircraft in folders AI Aircraft, AIG Aircraft, Airplanes, FLAi Aircraft, UT2 Aircraft, TrafficGlobalFleet.

I then use SIMstarter NG to create multiple SimObject ConfigSets.

The VATSIM config set only contains Airplanes and FLAi Aircraft, which are used for model matching. The AI config set contains everything, except FLAi Aircraft. The AI option only includes Airplanes, which is the FSX default and payware aircraft.

This allows me to reduce the number of aircraft which accessed during the initial load.

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel

If for some reason you don't want a certain type of aircraft to show, then just rename the folder like I did above with the Seaplanes, I just put an X in the folder name then it didn't load.

Sometimes if you are experimenting with and aircraft you can rename all the folders and just have one called 'Test' or something and have the aircraft you are experimenting with in there.

So if you have to keep restarting FSX it will load faster.

Some don't know this but you can do some changes to an aircraft and keep FSX still loaded then click on the 'Reset' in the top menu bar.