British Airways flies to wrong destination

PAULCRAIG

Today a British Airways Cityflyer flew to the wrong airport, not only that but the wrong country!! The flight from London City airport was due to fly to Düsseldorf in Germany but instead ended up in Edinburgh Scotland. Apparently it was due to an incorrectly filed flight plan.

The pilots went where the flight plan said, not the destination they were to fly to.

And no-one queried it, when the flight took the several hundred miles out of their way, to a destination that meant nothing to anyone on board?

I guess the robots have taken over the asylum!

I guess the robots have taken over the asylum!

I think I would prefer an artificially-intelligent robot over pilots who didn't check their route progress during the flight. Isn't a perfunctory step-through of the FMC's flight plan supposed to be part of the standard checklist? Imagine if it had been: "Haven't we been flying over the ocean for a very long time now???"

I think I would prefer an artificially-intelligent robot over pilots who didn't check their route progress during the flight. Isn't a perfunctory step-through of the FMC's flight plan supposed to be part of the standard checklist? Imagine if it had been: "Haven't we been flying over the ocean for a very long time now???"

If a man is in charge I'd rather he were ACTUALLY in charge, not at the whim of a prat on a computer mistaking the flight plan...

`I remember when pilots were people you looked up to, not an unblinking screen you blindly obeyed`.

They didn't traverse the ocean, though.

But they should have done, shortly after leaving LCA airspace, if they were on course for DUS.

The thing is, they didn't even realize that they should've been heading to DUS. The FP said EDI and they never questioned it, why would they? With airlines and flight crews under the pressures they are these days, it's a wonder this doesn't happen more often.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

But they should have done, shortly after leaving LCA airspace, if they were on course for DUS.

No, that's the English Channel, which though large water would not be "flying over the ocean for a very long time now." It would be a very short time over water, possibly with land in sight most of the time.

It was the time (long) I was questioning, not whether there was water.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I was thinking of the North Sea (which was known as the German Sea before WW1), rather than the Channel. There's usually plenty of cloud cover over the UK, once above it you could be anywhere!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 5 weeks later...
Just curious....what was the YEAR that they took off? This year? (HeHe).
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

And these guys get paid how much to fly the airplane? Maybe too much?
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I have always thought the airlines monitor their flights (Dispatch). In this case meaning the crew would get a call from ground sometime after leaving the intended route. Surely, someone on the ground must have known something? These days, I cannot imagine an airline not monitoring their scheduled flights?? Sounds like personnel other than the crew on board were dozing.

Monitoring the flights isn't the same as watching them on radar. Dispatch doesn't have radar to follow them, and monitoring isn't a minute by minute scrutinizing of everything they do.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!