B-24 USAAF Formation plane taking off (FSX)

The B-24 Formation plane from 492 nd Bomb Group taking off from Linton-on-Ouse RAF base for a raid over Northern Germany. Formation planes or Assembly ships were usually older war-weary planes that were painted in gaudy colors (and sometimes had extra lights installed) for easy identification in the air. This allowed other planes from the group to find the proper formation in the sometimes crowded skies of southeastern England. They did not stay with the group all the way to the target as most had all armament and armor removed.

FSX Gold Incl. Acceleration

Payware Alphasim B-24

Freeware Linton-on-Ouse RAF AB UK

Drzewiecki Grass textures

HDE-V2clouds

Please click on the pics to enlarge:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

More take off pics in the reply******

Edited by peer01
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As pointed out in the link Peer posted these brightly coloured aircraft were 'Assembly Ships'. They allowed other aircraft from the same Squadron to formate around them before heading off to the target. The Assembly Ship would not participate in the raid as, besides their bright colours, they usually had all their armament removed.

But B-24s at Linton-on-Ouse? I don't think so ...

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

Great info! I knew bombers had to circle a while to wait all planes to get in formation, but I didn't know the story of those dedicated plane. Much fine! check the links given by Peer! Some planes really colorfull! Sure a lot of simmers would have like to fly those!!!
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Luckily German planes at the time of large bombings didn't came much to UK shore! :)

On the other hand, that's making me think about something named like the Circus, if I remember well, which was Germans flying Allied planes they could capture. Circus, those clowny liveries! Strange

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

I know Dave, but It's a nice military scenery.....:o:rolleyes: I'm very interested in the WW2 sceneries you're developing btw

Peer, if you remember I sent you some sceneries a little while ago for you to test but you never came back to me with your comments. I have a nice Linton-on-Ouse 1940's by the way ...

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

Dave, had a major crash (great virus:mad:) in my Planet mailbox, disaster. couldn't find anything and had to ask my provider to rescue things. My new Outlook mailbox works Ok now. I'll PM you my new account. Lots of SORRY! Did you ever post them in the libraries?
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow! You must have been excited to fly this one! You didn't even take the time to completely unwrap it! :eek:

At least you took the giant novelty bow off. :rolleyes: -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Dave, had a major crash (great virus:mad:) in my Planet mailbox, disaster. couldn't find anything and had to ask my provider to rescue things. My new Outlook mailbox works Ok now. I'll PM you my new account. Lots of SORRY! Did you ever post them in the libraries?

I currently have about 250 UK WWII airfields. Some have been published by other people, some are existing (default or published) sceneries which I have modified, and some are airfields I have built from scratch using Google Earth coordinates and internet data. I haven't published them because I don't know how they would look on other peoples machines - everyone has their own parameters, mesh add-ons etc, which is why I invited you and others to test them first. Now that I have your new e-mail address I will send you a few and you can let me know how they look.

• 1 month later...

Bringing that thread back. Been in a small aerial meeting near Dijon today, and there was a revival group dedicated to WW2 history. They had that follow me. They told me it was documented (as some even had the jeep cheker-painted!) Interesting. Could give ideas to modelers!

follme.jpg

That's very nice Gerard, I'm still a member of the Dutch "Keep Them Rolling" Society, I owned a beautiful 1939 GMC-truck with a closed cabin. I visited the D-Day meetings in Normandy many times with it.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]