Ways to increase FPS in FSX???

Hey flight simmers,

As you can probably tell from the title, I'm looking to increase the frame rate in FSX:SE. I'll SOMETIMES get 20-25 FPS (only in the air) but again, only in the air. And even in the air, it'll sometimes drop from 5-15 FPS, which in my opinion, is stuttery. Then on the ground...I'll get 13-14 FPS MAX, sometimes dropping to 9,5, even 4. I've tweaked my fsx.cfg with all the popular tweaks, I'm running FSX on a Win10 (but I run it in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode) All my settings are on Med Low except for scenery (High) and I don't even have that many add-ons. I don't have ORBX, REX, or PMDG stuff, just all the default FSX:SE aircraft and a FEW freeware.

So what do I do?

TheAviationEnthusiast

I've been an experienced FSX player for two years now, and an enthusiast forever. Be sure to check out my blog on here, I blog daily about everything aviation!

Specs: Windows 10, Intel Celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz, 1993 Mhz, RAM 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics

FYI, when I said I run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode, I meant I run FSX in that compatibility mode, not everything.

I've been an experienced FSX player for two years now, and an enthusiast forever. Be sure to check out my blog on here, I blog daily about everything aviation!

Specs: Windows 10, Intel Celeron CPU J1900 1.99 GHz, 1993 Mhz, RAM 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics

FYI, when I said I run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode, I meant I run FSX in that compatibility mode, not everything.

Uhm....why are you running in Win XP compatibility mode? I am using a Win XP computer and it only allows for 2 GB of physical memory. Could that be your problem?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I run it in that mode because FSX was specifically made for those 2006 computers. Should I run it in a different compatibility mode?

You should not run fsx in compatibility mode.

Other people's tweaks will be set for your computer. Remove those and just use the menu's in fsx to adjust settings. (in fsx with service packs most tweaks are not needed and can even cause issues. There's only about 3 'tweaks' that make any sense. SE has the accel service pack included already.)

also with a medium processor you will get medium frame rates. So what hardware do you have?

And, scenery detail slider ads detailed buildings at airports and in cities. Slowing fps. Don't set that to the highest settings.

Complex models near you slow fps. Default airport buildings are not that detailed. But aircraft around you are. Aircrafts at the gates directly next to you would cause very low fps. Passing aircraft and vehicles slow the fps while passing. Slightly lower traffic settings can give much better fps.

You can set the fps target number lower in settings while you are on ground help keep things smooth.

Also don't set fps to unlimited in flight. If fps is 20-25 most of the time, set fps to 25. Test for a few or so flights. See if fps stays a steady 25 in flight. -If it drops lower often, set the target a little lower. (or change setting so the fps does stay a constant 25)

If is always trying to run at unlimited frame rate the pc runs full blast all the time. The cpu gets very hot, and especially the graphics card does. At some point it gets too hot, and the frame save then starts going down. It also starts varying more. 10fps one moment 20 the next. Causing stutters.

But set at 25 instead of unlimited, the pc can breathe every once in a while. Things keep running smoothly and at relatively constant 25. (except at large and busy airports.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should not run fsx in compatibility mode.

Other people's tweaks will be set for your computer. Remove those and just use the menu's in fsx to adjust settings. (in fsx with service packs most tweaks are not needed and can even cause issues. There's only about 3 'tweaks' that make any sense. SE has the accel service pack included already.)

also with a medium processor you will get medium frame rates. So what hardware do you have?

And, scenery detail slider ads detailed buildings at airports and in cities. Slowing fps. Don't set that to the highest settings.

Complex models near you slow fps. Default airport buildings are not that detailed. But aircraft around you are. Aircrafts at the gates directly next to you would cause very low fps. Passing aircraft and vehicles slow the fps while passing. Slightly lower traffic settings can give much better fps.

You can set the fps target number lower in settings while you are on ground help keep things smooth.

Also don't set fps to unlimited in flight. If fps is 20-25 most of the time, set fps to 25. Test for a few or so flights. See if fps stays a steady 25 in flight. -If it drops lower often, set the target a little lower. (or change setting so the fps does stay a constant 25)

If is always trying to run at unlimited frame rate the pc runs full blast all the time. The cpu gets very hot, and especially the graphics card does. At some point it gets too hot, and the frame save then starts going down. It also starts varying more. 10fps one moment 20 the next. Causing stutters.

But set at 25 instead of unlimited, the pc can breathe every once in a while. Things keep running smoothly and at relatively constant 25. (except at large and busy airports.)

Thanks il88p, did not know that, what I'll do I guess is delete the fsx.cfg (removing all tweaks and generating a new cfg) and I'll set framerate to 15 or 20 or 25 or whatever. My processor is a Celeron something (idk exact make) and I have an intel graphics card. I'll disable compatibility mode too.

TheAviationEnthusiast

I'll be honest, I think in situations like yours why you are even trying to run FSX makes no sense to me.

You must be running close to a default FSX or with very simple add-ons. You could be running a pimped out FS9 and enjoying much more workable frame rates. Your sim would also look vastly superior.

I have directly compared default FSX to my pimped out FS9 and the difference is immense. To beat FS9, I would need to add equal quality add-ons to FSX to give it the edge visually. However, then I would have to deal with VAS monitoring which I certainly have no interest in dealing with. Totally takes away my enjoyment of just happily flying and not ever having to worry about FS crashes. If I want to do a 4 hour flight, no probs, 4 hours it will be and I know the 4 hours won't be wasted with a FS crash just as I'm about to finish the flight.

Anyhow, do as you please. Imo, it sounds like you simply don't have enough PC.

You can keep painfully persisting to try and find an extra frame here and there or the real solution for improvement, go FS9 or buy a much better PC. I don't think you will find any other miracle answers.

Good luck with whatever direction you head.

Mark Daniels

Hey flight simmers,

As you can probably tell from the title, I'm looking to increase the frame rate in FSX:SE. I'll SOMETIMES get 20-25 FPS (only in the air) but again, only in the air. And even in the air, it'll sometimes drop from 5-15 FPS, which in my opinion, is stuttery. Then on the ground...I'll get 13-14 FPS MAX, sometimes dropping to 9,5, even 4. I've tweaked my fsx.cfg with all the popular tweaks, I'm running FSX on a Win10 (but I run it in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode) All my settings are on Med Low except for scenery (High) and I don't even have that many add-ons. I don't have ORBX, REX, or PMDG stuff, just all the default FSX:SE aircraft and a FEW freeware.

So what do I do?

TheAviationEnthusiast

Simple. Buy a faster computer. What are your specs?

It really is as obvious as that. Most of the perceived speed of the game are simply numbers, irrelevant for real gameplay.

It's not a lightning-fast shoot-em-up, and most tweaks wont work. Why have you applied tweaks? What have you tweaked? Why have you tweaked?

My processor is a Celeron something (idk exact make) and I have an intel graphics card.

This is likely your problem. I agree with the suggestion of running FS9 on that hardware.

Cheers!

Luke

Everyone of us has been through the drill of trying to milk a few more fps out of FSX.

For starters, try setting your frame rate at one half of your screen's refrfesh rate.

As for settings' starting points, don't move any of them further than medium.

Worry about smoothness, not frames.

Google search for Kostas FSX tweaks guide and AVSIM's Guide, those'll give you a variety of ideas as a starting point.

Don't worry about your computer -- none of us have a computer as fast as we'd like to have.

When you wrote that you have a Celeron processor and an Intel graphics card, I thought that you would have a laptop, where the graphics chip is on the motherboard.

If that is what you have, then you are not going to get stellar performance, to put it mildly. The Celeron processor is a cut-down processor, mainly intended for office use (word processing and the like), the Intel graphics is intended for the same use, and your hard drive would be pretty slow.

A setup like that will run FSX - barely, but just a few add-ons will bring it to its knees. I had one of these myself.

Kosta's tweaking guide can be found here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

Jorgen

Thanks guys, I don't think I'll get a new PC, but possibly a new processor and/or graphics card to run FSX with. And I'll definitely check out Kosta's tweaking guide. Once again, thanks guys!

Just so you guys know, my specs are:

Windows 10

Processor: Intel Celeron CPU J1900

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics

If there's any more info you need to know about my specs, just let me know here in the forum.

Just so you guys know, my specs are:

Windows 10

Processor: Intel Celeron CPU J1900

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics

You're trying to run FSX on an Atom processor? You're braver than I thought.

Cheers!

Luke

You're trying to run FSX on an Atom processor? You're braver than I thought.

Cheers!

Luke

Yeah, I know. :D

• 3 years later...
Hmm i don't think everyone can buy a faster computer mallcott

This is a 3 year old post!!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs