Anti-Virus Compatibility

ratimics

Hi,

I'm not new to Flight Sims. but I'm not sure where to address my question.

Basically I've successfully used AVAST premier as an 'Anti-virus plus' protection for several years. Prior to using Avast I'd had problems with Norton Symantics. The Norton software was apparently not compatible with my various Flight Sim programs in that it slowed the Flight Sim programs (Mainly FS2004 & FSX) considerably on my machine.

Now my contract for AVAST is shortly to expire and in any event, I've recently not been too satisfied with their service, albeit compatibility with Flight Simming has NOT been an issue.

Does anyone run ' Bit Defender' anti virus please? I've heard and read a lot about it but am anxious to know if it is compatible with 'Our' hobby software. (Not withstanding our 'Hobby Software' is varied and extensive - much like our Hobby Hardware!)

I'm running a new 'Wired to Fire' machine with Windows 10. I have FS9 FSX and Prepar3d. plus one or two others but mostly use the Microsoft software.

All observations and experiences will be gratefully received.

Thank You.

I don't run anti-virus software myself, but I use Sandboxie for my browser and scan all downloads at Virus Total. I just don't want anything to interfere with my Sim or anything else I'm doing. I also clone my computer to an external USB drive periodically so if something should happen I can clone back like nothing happened.

I have used Bitdefender Free and I have it on my parents computer. It was pretty decent, light weight and cloud-based so that it helps keep up with polymorphic malware, i.e malware in the wild with no definition. Bitdefender Free also stops debugging which is a malware vector, but if you use game hacks and stuff like that those may not work because of the prevention of debugging. If you don't use cheats in games or other things then it won't be an issue. Bitdefender Free is all you really need. You don't have to buy malware protection. Especially if you scan all your downloads at Virus Total and don't visit shady sites.

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Now I don't use Windows 10 so I'm not sure how it will perform and I've read that the built-in Defender may cause problems so you may want to disable it. Then I'm willing to bet with each new update Defender will get turned back on. I've also read Defender is all you need. But I have my doubts on that premise.

To be honest you would be better off with Sandboxie for your browser and Faronics Anti-executable. But that's pretty pricey and Faronics Anti-executable may interfere with the Sim, I'm not too sure. It will alert you on most everything that tries to get installed. I've tested Faronics Anti-executable in a virtual machine and tossed a bunch of malware at it an did did prevent the malware from executing.

I use avast on my Win 10 machine without any problems with FSX. I have Windows Security Disabled. I also run Veeam nightly to avail mysel of bare metal restore should anything happen.

Hope that helps

Any anti virus program will see things that are virus free as potentially harmful at times.

Norton works perfectly fine with flight sims.

Any anti virus program could at times give specific headaches with specific programs. You have to learn the virus software and exclude programs and files you know are safe.

Mark Daniels

I have used AVAST Free for years with no problems. It just works. I use Commodo Ice Dragon as my browser (will NEVER use Explorer). You can open Avast and stipulate it 'Do No Disturb' when programs you choose are running (in fullscreen mode). See pics. Of course Avast is always trying to make you 'Upgrade' (ie: get pay version). But that is expected, so no biggee - just 'Ignore'. Go fly.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

As Mark has pointed out in post #4, Norton works fine with flight sims and indeed with other games. I have used it for years whilst running FS2002, FS2004 and now FSX with no issues....

And as Chuck has pointed in post #5, you can 'suspend' elements of the AV suite - most AV suites offer this function but the way in which they work whilst this function is on may differ. I don't use Avast but looking at the screenshots it may work the same way as Norton's Silent Mode.....

Norton's silent mode can be set to automatically start when certain .exe programs are run or it can be manually started and set to run for a fixed time period. It temporarily stops some background processes, such as background scans and security alerts, whilst still protecting the PC - it WILL take the necessary actions if it detects any suspicious activity etc but you will only be informed once the selected program is closed or when the fixed time period expires. Unlike Avast, for example, you don't need to be running the selected program in fullscreen mode.

Regards

Brian

Hello again, Many thanks to: CRJ, Enko, Mark D, Chuck B, and Brian. It's very kind of you all to take the trouble to respond with your experiences and I was very interested to hear the various advice. I shall now reappraise my needs. The 'Avast Premium' I have has kept any nasties away but between you some interesting alternatives may be appropriate to my proposed switch to 'BitDefender'.

My sincere thanks again,

Phil.

Archived