how many 737 max8 sims out there ?

Hi there !

the titles says it all !

im talking, ofcourse, real simulators for pilot training :)

Thanks !

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi there !

the titles says it all !

Thanks !

It won't matter, because the Washington Post reports that no simulators have been updated to accommodate the MCAS system added last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/03/10/with-ethiopian-airlines-crash-another-new-boeing-max-jet-goes-down/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1840e2d46d7d

Hi there !

the titles says it all !

Thanks !

All I heard was the Max's were marketed at being similar enough to the 737-900 that no new training was needed. It might have been another Boeing bad business decision overriding normal standards, but this time people died from it. I was surprised that none of the 787 Li-ion batteries ignited over water.

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

All I heard was the Max's were marketed at being similar enough to the 737-900 that no new training was needed.

Seems strange as apparently the low speed handling characteristics of the Max is very different to the NG's because of the position of the new larger engines which can cause an upward pitching moment, but is supposed to have been helped by the MCAS which detects when the angle of attack is close to the limit & pushes the nose down, but I would have thought that training should have at least been provided if the MCAS became unserviceble.

All I heard was the Max's were marketed at being similar enough to the 737-900 that no new training was needed. It might have been another Boeing bad business decision overriding normal standards, but this time people died from it. I was surprised that none of the 787 Li-ion batteries ignited over water.

Yes, I was told, and have read, the same thing from two separate sources.

This article on The Daily Beast gives a nice summary of the problem where Boeing ran into problems during testing of the new MAX and decided on a fix that they told no one about, so pilots got no training:

"What they apparently did not anticipate was the possibility that an
erroneous message from another system
, an angle of attack (the pitch of the wings) sensor, could initiate action by the MCAS, unknown to pilots."

And when you are low and slow and have, at best, a few seconds to correct the problem...

Addendum: I just spotted an article on Slashdot that included the following:

'Yet black box data retrieved after the Lion Air crash indicates that a single faulty sensor -- a vane on the outside of the fuselage that measures the plane's "angle of attack," the angle between the airflow and the wing -- triggered MCAS multiple times during the deadly flight, initiating a tug of war as the system repeatedly pushed the nose of the plane down and the pilots wrestled with the controls to pull it back up, before the final crash.'

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Heard on the News today, that the day before the Indonesian 737 MAX crash a visiting pilot in the same 737 cockpit helped a similar situation developing, by advising the Captain to turn off automated functions including the AP!

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

There's an interesting article on the AOPA's website (Boeing Crisis) that discusses this and indicates that they'd only have to turn off the stabilizer trim (runaway trim problem, just a different cause than normal, but same symptoms and procedure), a couple of switches in the center of the panel. They're definitely pointing at a training problem in the crashes.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived