Prop feathering inb MS FSX and FSE-SE

johnaldred

How can I feather prop for a failed engine? I am using MS FSX on Windows 7 and FSX-SE on Windows 10 with Saitek/Logitech Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant and rudder pedals.

I have set the buttons at the bottom detent of the throttle quadrant but these appear to be ineffective as does the F11 keyboard command. In any case these only give me an option to feather the prop without selecting a specific engine. I recall that I could feather specific props with FS2004 but I cannot recall the command sequence used.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

As indicated by the zipper above, pulling the prop control back all the way for the engine you want to feather. If you only have a single lever available, then you can select the engine you want to feather by E1 or E2, if memory serves me correctly, then pull it back. Then you'll need E12 at some point to select both engines again.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

How can I feather prop for a failed engine? I am using MS FSX on Windows 7 and FSX-SE on Windows 10 with Saitek/Logitech Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant and rudder pedals.

I have set the buttons at the bottom detent of the throttle quadrant but these appear to be ineffective as does the F11 keyboard command. In any case these only give me an option to feather the prop without selecting a specific engine. I recall that I could feather specific props with FS2004 but I cannot recall the command sequence used.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Buttons should be set to match `Ctrl + F2` setting, or whatever button you have mapped to `Decrease Propeller Quickly`.

I don't know where you got the `F11` keyboard command but this is NOT a propeller, throttle or mixture command by default.

Thanks for this. The Ctrl + F2 setting feathers the prop on the failed engine but also pulls the RPM back on the good one. Not something you could accept in a real aircraft. Is there anyway one can specify the engine you want to reduce RPM quickly on?

(so not pressed together, but one after the other)

(and without typing keys or moving views in between)

selects engine 1

you can then adjust thrust, pitch, etc, for just that one engine.

----

(without ,, or after it)

selects both engines again.

----

ps.

You can also use this to put one engine in reverse,

then select the other engine and put that one in forward thrust.

(making for very tight turning circles on ground, for example when having to make a 180 turn at the end of a very tight runway.):D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for this. The Ctrl + F2 setting feathers the prop on the failed engine but also pulls the RPM back on the good one. Not something you could accept in a real aircraft. Is there anyway one can specify the engine you want to reduce RPM quickly on?

Re-read post #3 above, where I mention the command.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If engine one is failed,

press

then quickly

to select engine 1.

Then, adjust thrust, pitch, and rpm. This will only effect engine 1.

Then, press

then quickly

to make just engine 2 selected.

From then on adjusting thrust can be done with thrust slider (on joystick or Usb throttle) or with F1 to F4 and it will only affect engine 2.

Same for prop pitch. Affects only engine 2.

But, on a 2d throttle panel like the one in the beech baron it needs to be done with care.

If you click between the two throttle handles on that, both throttle handles will move to that position. So if you want to use the 2D throttle panel to adjust only one throttle (or one mixture or rpm) you have to be very precise when clicking and press one handle only.

If you do click both handles together in the 2D throttle panel both engines respond to that. But after that still only one responds to the (Contr Shift F3) and such.

[all that is probably true for the 3D throttle panel as well.]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is what I use. It's LINDA code, so the functions are from a LINDA library. The raw FSX function codes are show in comments.

function Feather_Left_Prop()
   _PROP_PITCH1_HI()    -- 66007
   _PROP_PITCH1_DECR()  -- 66006
end

function Unfeather_Left_Prop()
   _PROP_PITCH1_HI()    -- 66007
end

function Feather_Right_Prop()
   _PROP_PITCH2_HI()    -- 66012
   _PROP_PITCH2_DECR()  -- 66011
end

function Unfeather_Right_Prop()
   _PROP_PITCH2_HI()    -- 66012
end

That said, as far as I can tell feathering the prop has no effect on the flight characteristics. You might see a nice animation if you're using the virtual cockpit but there are no consequences for not feathering a prop.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Archived