Rudder pedal question

stubby2

A long time ago I used to have a CH yoke and rudder pedals. For me I'm not sure I necessarily want to purchase a yoke. However, I have been thinking about buying rudder pedals and continuing to use my joystick. The reason being that I find the twisting motion for rudder control on a joystick very unnatural. Makes crosswind landings very tough.

I want to be sure there are not any connection issues. I am flying X plane11 and FSX. Then I could always get a yoke later.

Does anyone else have this kind of setup ?

Henry

I don't have the twist rudder, but rudder pedals and a stick work together, and you can, in FS or in FSUIPC (paid) if you have it, change the twist grip to either operate something else or to have it not recognized.

So yes, that's a practical thing in FS/P3D. I think it's just as good in Xplane, too, if memory serves me correctly, but I've not tried that sim for a while.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Henry,

One thing is certain - a good pair of rudder pedals will definitely make crosswind work more realistic, bearing in mind that the simulator in question will also be responsible for some of the effect. I find XPlane pretty darn good with something like the Thrustmaster Pendular rudder pedals, for example.

Henry,

One thing is certain - a good pair of rudder pedals will definitely make crosswind work more realistic, bearing in mind that the simulator in question will also be responsible for some of the effect. I find XPlane pretty darn good with something like the Thrustmaster Pendular rudder pedals, for example.

Yes more realistic and less contorted. I always found twisting a flight stick to be a pia. I have an inexpensive Thrustmaster T 16000 flight stick and frankly find it to be very smooth. Actually, it is smoother than my old CH yoke. less "immersive" I suppose but I think adding rudder pedals will work fine for me for now.

I'm not sure what I'll buy but one option is to get a good quality used set on Ebay.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Archived