Found a nice P51 download, but would like to get rid of the external drop tanks!

Downwind66

Sorry, title should show P51, not P%!. I must have had my finger held down on the shift key?

Downloaded from SimOutHouse, file name p51dver2.zip. In that the download did not give an option of tanks vs no tanks, I would now like to figure out a way to get rid of the tanks. There are 2 entries in the air file, but I have not a clue of how that might help me get rid of the drop tanks! Any one out there that may have an answer or suggestions, I would appreciate it!

2019-3-16_16-1-19-646.jpg

Thanks - Rick :cool:

Didist thou readith this in the readithme file for the P!% aircraft?

To drop them you need to set the arm switch's (2 one for each tank) in the VC they are on the switch panel just in behind the transponder right hand side of the VC.

Tanks drop activation and drop switches

tanks alot.JPG

Look, Ma, No tanks!

no tanks.JPG

Tank you berry much for your attention!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Didist thou readith this in the readithme file for the P!% aircraft?

To drop them you need to set the arm switch's (2 one for each tank) in the VC they are on the switch panel just in behind the transponder right hand side of the VC.

Yes, Charlie, I didith readith the section of the readithme for the P!% aircraft! I am not a fan of VC cockpits, so I didn't know where to start looking for the switches on the switch panel just in behind the transponder?? How is the switch panel placed in behind the transponder? I looked several times. If you go on to read the readithme file it also says you can go to an external view to see your drop tanks falling, which sounded as if this was a recurring event, should you decide to use it as such.

It was getting late and I decided to move on with a 2d panel that I had for a P-51. It flies great, it does have 2 entries in the air file for the drop tanks, I was hoping that might help get rid of them. If not, I'm not going to worry about it.

Rick :cool:

The Red & White P-51 does look awfully nice without those large drop tanks. They look big enough to be used on smaller aircraft for flotation!

Charlie - Okay, my suspicions were correct! You can drop those tanks anytime you like, but they will come back, kind of like washing the dog of fleas and ticks, when you think you got it, not so, they are back! NOW, my original question, and I don't know if changing those items in the air file will do anything to keep the tanks from coming back? You probably know more about the airfile, I have Aired and have used it only for minor issues. Let me know you thoughts, if it can't be resolved, I'll get used to carrying those things around!

Thanks Charlie! - Rick :cool:

Charlie - Okay, my suspicions were correct! You can drop those tanks anytime you like, but they will come back, kind of like washing the dog of fleas and ticks, when you think you got it, not so, they are back! NOW, my original question, and I don't know if changing those items in the air file will do anything to keep the tanks from coming back? You probably know more about the airfile, I have Aired and have used it only for minor issues. Let me know you thoughts, if it can't be resolved, I'll get used to carrying those things around!

Thanks Charlie! - Rick :cool:

Sorry, I have never edited a .air file. Wonder why the tanks come back? Are they empty when dropped? I'll mucknaround with that aircraft tomorrow. Time to watch the Dubs trounce the Spurs

Open the Aircraft.cfg file. Scroll down about 1/4 of the way and look for this section

empty_weight_roll_MOI=7995.0

empty_weight_pitch_MOI=20000.0

empty_weight_yaw_MOI=42860.0

empty_weight_coupled_MOI =0.00000

station_load.0= 200, 0.000, 0.000, 3.000, Pilot

station_load.1= 6, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, Pylons

station_load.2= 20, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, Ext

In the last line change the 20 to a 0 So it reads..

"station_load.2= 0, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, Ext"

That should then stop the tanks loading. I've tested it in my copy of fsx and it's working.

The other thing Ive included, if you go to the load out screen in fs9 and remove the fuel and set the weights to 0 for the pylons and ext tanks they won't load onto the aircraft, or be seen in the sim so you can fly clean without having to switch models.

The above, also from the README.

Thank you Viper and mrzippy! So nice, not to have to look at those large, ugly drop tanks!

Rick :D:D:D:D:cool:

And, Charlie, I did go in on Aired and revised the air file for fuel tanks. No more drop tanks there either!

Thanks again guys!

Well, sure and begorrah, Saints preserve ya, and whack meself with a shillelagh, it drops tanks perfectly from an outside view! ;)

drop tank1.JPG

drop tank2.JPG

Pour me another pint of mother's milk (Guinness Stout) Happy St. Paddy's day:D

The last time I was in Ireland (Cork, 2003) on a stag do, we were solemnly toasted with: "Lads, may you have an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead".

PS: The Irish can't help being lovable, and we ALL love 'em - warts and all - whether they like it or not!

PPS: In a Cork pub, after hours, one fella said to me: "Tim, you're alright - for a fokken English". I'll take that!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The last time I was in Ireland (Cork, 2003) on a stag do, we were solemnly toasted with: "Lads, may you have an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead".

PS: The Irish can't help being lovable, and we ALL love 'em - warts and all - whether they like it or not!

You go, Tim, I love it!

Well, sure and begorrah, Saints preserve ya, and whack meself with a shillelagh, it drops tanks perfectly from an outside view! ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]208581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]208582[/ATTACH]

Pour me another pint of mother's milk (Guinness Stout) Happy St. Paddy's day:D

Charlie - I knew you would love that feature, now figure out how you can load them with beer and then offer your services to his "Highness" over in Amsterdam! He needs all the help he can get moving beer around!

Archived