pressing the keys assigned to autopilot in fsx the values of the organ change

This is just a guess, since mine does that too, but pressing Altitude HOLD (default hotkeys Ctrl+Z) probably always changes the previous setting to whatever your current altitude is NOW. That seems to make sense; if you want to put in a different altitude value to seek and hold, it makes sense to dial it in so the autopilot starts trying to get to that altitude so it can 'hold' it. It's like there's two different function: Ctrl+Z to Hold current value and the autopilot gauge function to Seek and Hold the dialed in value.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

but pressing Altitude HOLD (default hotkeys Ctrl+Z) probably always changes the previous setting to whatever your current altitude is NOW.

The hotkey (CTRL-Z) does, indeed, set the AP to current altitude, though I've seen it occasionally goof -- a second press always corrects that, though. But pressing the button (with the mouse, of course) on the AP on the panel engages altitude hold at whatever altitude is already set. I've not come across a hotkey that will do that, though.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

In some autopilots alt hold lets the plane climb at the set vertical speed.

In others alt-hld only holds the current altitude.

Sometimes these planes also have a separate button for 'vertical speed hold'.

(but that does not stop at a pre-set altitude).

They do not always have a vertical speed hold button. The default F-18 for example only has alt-hld that holds the current altitude. No 'vertical speed hold' button in that plane.

(It does have a 'pitch hold' button.)

So in the F18 you will have to climb to the altitude you want manually. When you get there you can engage alt-hld to keep that altitude.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've not flown the F-18, but in all the ones I've flown, many without a 'vertical speed hold' button, you can set the holding altitude in the AP window then press ALT HOLD and it will climb just fine. And note that, even with certain buttons missing, you can still use "hotkeys" for various functions.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived