FSX can't run because version of DirectX is incompatible?

spirittoo

Okay ... I am doing a new build and I had FSX on a different drive and I created a shortcut to get to it. Now I am getting an error message ... Flight Simulator cannot run because the version of Microft DirectX installed on your computer is incompatible. Please reinstall DirectX 9.0 by running flight simulator setup, or douwnload the current version.

So I went and downloaded DirectX 9 ... but I didn't know where to install it. I put it in windows, but I and still getting the error when I try to open FSX. Any idea how to correct this?

Thanks for reading my post.

XP10/FSXSE_MSI B350_AMD Ryzen7 1700_16Gb DDR4 2133_Win7 64_GTX 550 1GB GPU

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Having similar issue! I have lost the CD's to the game but copied all files/folder to my new laptop running win 10 and got the same directx issue.....
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

@ spirittoo - The installer should have placed DX in the required location automatically. The problem may be permission related with regards to how you installed it.....

@ Th1racer - Your issue is probably related to a fairly well known issue regarding Win 10. Win 10 does not ship with DX9 by default. As you have only copied over the FSX files you would not have any DX9 related files as they are System files and are stored outside of FSX. Even if you had the discs you will still have problems as the version of DX9 included on the discs is woefully out of date and are known to be incompatible with Win 10....

I suggest that you both try this.....

1. Go to this MS WEBPAGE and download the DX redist pack. Save the .exe fill to a temp location - DO NOT RUN IT directly from the download options.

2. Right click on the saved .exe and select Run as Administrator from the options listed. Let the installer do its work. NOTE that the redist pack includes files for DX9 (versions A to c), DX10 and DX11. The install process will check for what versions are installed and then install missing versions and/or replace missing, corrupted or invalid files of any version already installed.

3. Once the install process has finished reboot the PC using the following method:

@ spirittoo - Win 7 - use the shutdown option and then restart the PC.

@ Tk1racer - Win 10 - use the restart option.

The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

Once the PC has restarted test FSX.

Other things that you both need to consider is what other essential 'library' files may be missing, especially with Win 10 as, by default, it ships without some of the earlier versions of such 'libraries' that FSX relies on. The main essential ones are:

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier versions HERE

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the appropriate option for your OS version stated above between each install.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE and HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.

It is worth pointing out that you can have multiple versions of these 'libraries' installed. They are not just required by FSX but are used by many programs and apps. They will work happily along side each other and a program or app will automatically use the most compatible version.

Edited by longbreak754
EDIT reason - typos

Regards

Brian

Copying the drive (or adding a drive with the files on it) will not work.

With fsx you really need to use the installer on the disks to install fsx.

(that means that if you lost the install cd's you will have to buy fsx again.

That means buying steam edition, as the disks are not sold new any more.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ spirittoo - The installer should have placed DX in the required location automatically. The problem may be permission related with regards to how you installed it.....

@ Th1racer - Your issue is probably related to a fairly well known issue regarding Win 10. Win 10 does not ship with DX9 by default. As you have only copied over the FSX files you would not have any DX9 related files as they are System files and are stored outside of FSX. Even if you had the discs you will still have problems as the version of DX9 included on the discs is woefully out of date and are known to be incompatible with Win 10....

I suggest that you both try this.....

1. Go to this MS WEBPAGE and download the DX redist pack. Save the .exe fill to a temp location - DO NOT RUN IT directly from the download options.

2. Right click on the saved .exe and select Run as Administrator from the options listed. Let the installer do its work. NOTE that the redist pack includes files for DX9 (versions A to c), DX10 and DX11. The install process will check for what versions are installed and then install missing versions and/or replace missing, corrupted or invalid files of any version already installed.

3. Once the install process has finished reboot the PC using the following method:

@ spirittoo - Win 7 - use the shutdown option and then restart the PC.

@ Tk1racer - Win 10 - use the restart option.

The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

Once the PC has restarted test FSX.

Other things that you both need to consider is what other essential 'library' files may be missing, especially with Win 10 as, by default, it ships without some of the earlier versions of such 'libraries' that FSX relies on. The main essential ones are:

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier versions HERE

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the appropriate option for your OS version stated above between each install.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE and HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.

It is worth pointing out that you can have multiple versions of these 'libraries' installed. They are not just required by FSX but are used by many programs and apps. They will work happily along side each other and a program or app will automatically use the most compatible version.

Wellsir ... that certainly did the trick ... thanks loads for your help. :)

FSXSE/XP11/P3D ECS H87H3-WM_Intel i7 4770k @3.5Ghz_16Gb DDR3 1600_Win7 64_GTX 1050Ti 4GB GPU

Having similar issue! I have lost the CD's to the game but copied all files/folder to my new laptop running win 10 and got the same directx issue.....

I did the same thing. Copied all my files to the new drive, but after I got the directx issue straighten out FSX would stop working when I tried to load the program. I had to delete everything and start from scratch, which meant reinstalling steam ... then it took 9 hours to install FSX ... I don't recall it taking that long when I first install it. But unfortunately you have to start all over again.

I did the same thing. Copied all my files to the new drive, but after I got the directx issue straighten out FSX would stop working when I tried to load the program. I had to delete everything and start from scratch, which meant reinstalling steam ... then it took 9 hours to install FSX ... I don't recall it taking that long when I first install it. But unfortunately you have to start all over again.

Steam has a specific procedure that allows you to move the Steam Client and/or downloaded content, i.e. installed games. Simply manually moving them will not work.

Steam is actually best viewed as having two parts - the Client (which acts as your gateway to your account, the Steam website/shop, etc) and the Library (this is where your downloaded content is stored)

By default, when you first install Steam and create your account all that is there is the basic Client. As part of the installation it creates a sub folder called SteamApps. A further set of subfolders are also created within this folder, one being called Common, and it is this folder that becomes, by default, the Library location.

When you download content it will automatically be installed into the SteamApps\Common folder in a specific folder named after the product - i.e. SteamApps\Common\FSX-SE.

Using the tools available via your account library settings, you can dictate where new content is installed (either for all content or on a product by product basis) or move previously installed items to a new location. It must be noted that Steam will always use the SteamApps\Common part of file naming structure irrespective of what you name the root target folder. I.E if you were to move game A to a new drive the folder structure will look like this example:

D:\GameA\SteamApps\Common\GameA

Regards

Brian

Longbreak ... you seem to know a lot about steam ... I am having a problem with the brakes being applied when I used the rudder pedals. I looked into the general controller settings and my pedals are not listed. The stick and throttle are but not the pedals. Any idea why and how do I get them to show?

@spirittoo

This is not a Steam related issue but a sim related issue - it happens with the boxed version of FSX as well.

As I don't use pedals I have not directly encountered this type of problem. I have seen other threads relating to this type of issue and many seem to be resolved by installing the latest available driver/software for the device.

WRT to it not being listed have you checked ALL controller related settings. When you first go the page it lands on the Calibrate page but if you click on the other two tabs you may find that is appears under one of those.

I seem to remember that sometimes the pedals are seen as a 'joystick' on the main page but that if you go to the control axes tab there will be an option in the dropdown menu for the rudder pedals.

Another option would be to disconnect the pedals, throttle and stick and then reboot the PC. Then reconnect each item starting with the pedals (using a different USB slot than previously used) and see what happens .

The only other advice I can offer is to use google to search for solutions specific to the brand of pedals that you are using. The search will probably throw up links to many of the flightsim threads relating to the issue.

Regards

Brian

That worked for the DirectX issue, i think..... Now when I click on the FSX icon to start the game i get " the MSXML4 SP2 component not installed Please reinstall Flight Sim to restore or repair missing component."...... I have the FSX_SP2_ENU file in the same folder. When I click to install I get "Microsoft Flight sim service pack 2 requires the English version of flight sim X
FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

The 'requires the English version' statement implies that you either have a non-english version of the game OR that the language element is missing or corrupted.

Three options you could try - a repair of the FSX install, attempt manually installing the MSXML 4 component from your FSX disk or downloading a suitable language based MSXML4 SP2 update.

Option 1 - Insert FSX disc ONE and run the repair option.

Option 2 - Insert FSX disc TWO into the drive and stop it from auto-running. Right click on the drive icon and select OPEN from the resulting menu. This will show the contents of the disc. Scroll down the contents to located a file named msxml - it will have a standard MS Windows Installer icon. Double click on the file to run the program. Once the installer has done its work reboot and test FSX.

Option 3 - Go to this MS PAGE and download a version compatible with language version you have. As you are using Win 10 a possible relevant point to make here is that, if you have the English version of the game and methods 1 or 2 resolves the issue, it may still be beneficial to download and install the English version of this file.

Regards

Brian

Please do not do a repair install. That can cause problems with addons you already have installed.

Corrupted files are not causing the language error. You simply have a different language version of FSX, and that means you will simply need to get that same language version of SP2. (service pack 2).

You can find any language version here. (click the drop-down box to select language, then click download.)

https://www.microsoft.com/de-ch/download/details.aspx?id=8986

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do i check what version I have english or ? Always assumed it was the english version as all the files are in english.... I did download the english version of SP2 and rebooted and still get the I need the english version of FSX to install the service pack.... THANKS for all the help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could find those CD's ! Edited by Th1racer

One way I know of is to see what the name of the .gvp files you have.

They are located in the following folder locations:

FSX\Sound\ATC - one or more files with a .gvp and/or a .gvporg extension

FSX\Sound|ATC\ASOS - usually a single file.

English based files will start with USEnglish

Regards

Brian

Says English Version...... Frustrating ! Am looking for a copy to purchase online but all i see available is steam. Is there anywhere to download a FSX copy ?.... Thanks for all the help ! Much appreciated !

Try ebay, that's where I got mine.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Try ebay, that's where I got mine.

THANKS, I might just do that ! Not the money ! Just as I get back into this great hobby still with the ultimate goal of being a pilot I have

combed thru stacks of Flight Sim Software I purchased and just hate to do it again for one that I already purchased .lol......

AGAIN ! THANKS to everyone who tried to help. CYA in the clouds someday !

….. i get " the MSXML4 SP2 component not installed Please reinstall Flight Sim to restore or repair missing component."...... I have the FSX_SP2_ENU file in the same folder. ….

Did you download MSXML4 SP2 from the link I gave in Option 3 provided in post #13 and install it? If you did, what error messages, if any, did you get during its install or after when trying to run FSX?

MSXML 4 SP2 is a totally different component to the FSX_SP2_ENU file - it is a OS wide system based component whereas the _ENU file is a FSX specific language file.

If you haven't downloaded it do so. Do not run it directly from the download but save it to a temp location. Then right click on the file and select the Run as Admin option and let it install. Reboot the PC after the install to allow system files and the registry to be updated.

WRT to getting another copy of FSX. If you want to go down the download route then Steam is the only option. It will be cheaper that sourcing a disc based copy and already has many of the proven tweaks applied. As the Steam version is basically the FSX Deluxe version with the Acceleration pack, the vast majority of your current addons will work fine with it. The only issue is that they may not automatically find the default install path as it is buried deeper than the normal FSX default path.

Regards

Brian

Did you download MSXML4 SP2 from the link I gave in Option 3 provided in post #13 and install it? If you did, what error messages, if any, did you get during its install or after when trying to run FSX?

MSXML 4 SP2 is a totally different component to the FSX_SP2_ENU file - it is a OS wide system based component whereas the _ENU file is a FSX specific language file.

If you haven't downloaded it do so. Do not run it directly from the download but save it to a temp location. Then right click on the file and select the Run as Admin option and let it install. Reboot the PC after the install to allow system files and the registry to be updated.

WRT to getting another copy of FSX. If you want to go down the download route then Steam is the only option. It will be cheaper that sourcing a disc based copy and already has many of the proven tweaks applied. As the Steam version is basically the FSX Deluxe version with the Acceleration pack, the vast majority of your current addons will work fine with it. The only issue is that they may not automatically find the default install path as it is buried deeper than the normal FSX default path.

Yes sir I d loaded from that link...... from the temp download folder I un zipped to the FSX folder, right clicked and ran as admin, It did not seem to download ? restarted the laptop and opened FSX folder, clicked on FSX application file and get the MSXML4 SP2 component not installed. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the missing component.

As I stated previously, the MSXML component is part of the OS system - it is not a part of FSX but merely a required component that FSX requires to run. The files associated with it are stored OUTSIDE of FSX as the are used by many programmes. Furthernore, you should not simply be 'unzipping' the contents - files that have a .msi extension are dedicated MS installation executable files and work similar to other executable such as .exe or .bat files

Try this.....

Use the link provided earlier and download the msxml.msi option. Save it to a temp location.

Right click on the saved file and select Install from the menu. The installer info page should open.

Click Run - a welcome page should appear. Click Next.

What appears next will depend on a number of factors. If no MSXML 4 install is detected it will automatically install the package into the required location. If a MSXML 4.0 install is detected it will offer 3 choices, Modify, Repair or Remove. Select the Repair option.

Once the installer has finished reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

Regards

Brian

As I stated previously, the MSXML component is part of the OS system - it is not a part of FSX but merely a required component that FSX requires to run. The files associated with it are stored OUTSIDE of FSX as the are used by many programmes. Furthernore, you should not simply be 'unzipping' the contents - files that have a .msi extension are dedicated MS installation executable files and work similar to other executable such as .exe or .bat files

Try this.....

Use the link provided earlier and download the msxml.msi option. Save it to a temp location.

Right click on the saved file and select Install from the menu. The installer info page should open.

Click Run - a welcome page should appear. Click Next.

What appears next will depend on a number of factors. If no MSXML 4 install is detected it will automatically install the package into the required location. If a MSXML 4.0 install is detected it will offer 3 choices, Modify, Repair or Remove. Select the Repair option.

Once the installer has finished reboot the PC using the RESTART option.

Went and re downloaded the msxml.msi option. Clicked open after the file was downloaded. It ran thru the install process !... I restarted the laptop and clicked the FSX application folder to start the program. It gave me the end users agreement, I accepted, clicked next and now get "" Product Activation error.... An error occurred while attempting to activate the product. The problem may be due to an incomplete installation of the application. Reinstalling the application may resolve the problem. Otherwise, please contact product support for assistance ""... I click OK and it gives me another popup that says "" Microsoft Flight simulator..... The Dem4km.bgl file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now ext "" I click ok and it ends there.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP Brian !!!!!!

I am re sending the entire FSX file from the old laptop. Appears that not all files got transferred the first time.....Ill keep you posted...... Thanks again !

The first error message is a direct result of the cause of the second error message.

The Dem4km.bgl file is part of the BASE default scenery. This is a required part of the scenery that must be present and activated at all times for FSX to run. Look in the following location to see if the file is present: FSX\Scenery\BASE\Scenery - NOTE there should be 9 files in this folder.

If the file is present then it is damaged and/or corrupt and can only be repaired if you have the discs. The Dem4km should be dated 26/08/2006 and be 4,371kb in size.

I suspect that, as you have copied the files across that more files will also be corrupted - the error reporting system will only report on the first error. If you still have the source files that you copied from you may be able to attempt a recopy of the file.

IT IS possible to copy files with no issues, as others in threads on this and other website have indicated that they have done so (indeed one the biggest mentioned tips out there is to make a full backup of the FSX directory once installed), but obviously in your case an issue has occurred.

As you have lost the discs another issue will be activation. Unless you have a stored copy of the activation code you will not be able to activate the sim even if you overcome the other issues.

Your best solution may be to find a second hand copy of the boxed edition or go for the Steam version.

Regards

Brian