Phuket international

Just for the record guys, it's pronounced pooh-ket :D

Off-set ILS approaches are not unusual. For an extreme example check out the Rwy 32 ILS approach to ENRA, Mo i Rana, Røssvoll, Norway. It's at a right-angle to the runway because of the terrain, and this is fairly common in Norway!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yeah, I've seen plenty of offset ILSs due to terrain and like you mention in Norway which I've been all around to see that. But why is this airport's LOC just off center makes no sense to me. I'd have to look at LittleNavMap again and see if there is terrain or a real logical explanation.

So question: How does one land using the ILS that's off center like that in very low visibility?

I like to believe it's pronounced phuket because if I was flying that in IMC I'd cheat and use the GPS to take me in and watch my WAAS gauge for artificial GS. LOL

Okay, couple more questions. Where do you get charts from around the world?

I see Trans Level and Trans ALT. What's the difference?

I know MSA means Minimum Sector Altitude, but how do you interrupt the degree arrows shown?

Another question. It says runway ALT of 3 HPa. I don't understand what that means in relation to the barometric pressure at the time.

Where do you get charts from around the world?

Some (like this one) can be found simply by googling.

Or you can buy a Navigraph subscription.

I see Trans Level and Trans ALT. What's the difference?

Alt = referenced to local barometric pressure

Level = ref to STD pressure (1013.2 hPa/29.92 inHg)

Transition level is the lowest usable flight level above the transition altitude.

What's in between is called the "transition layer"

I know MSA means Minimum Sector Altitude, but how do you interrupt the degree arrows shown?

Not clear what you mean.

It just says that NW to NE from PUT VOR it's 4600ft (probably higher terrain) and in the more southern areas it's 3000 ft.

Another question. It says runway ALT of 3 HPa. I don't understand what that means in relation to the barometric pressure at the time

1 hPa = 27 ft (around see level)

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

The most likely reason for the offset localizer is the lack of room for the array at the end of the runway, which basically ends at the beach.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Some (like this one) can be found simply by googling.

Or you can buy a Navigraph subscription.

Alt = referenced to local barometric pressure

Level = ref to STD pressure (1013.2 hPa/29.92 inHg)

Transition level is the lowest usable flight level above the transition altitude.

What's in between is called the "transition layer"

Not clear what you mean.

It just says that NW to NE from PUT VOR it's 4600ft (probably higher terrain) and in the more southern areas it's 3000 ft.

1 hPa = 27 ft (around see level)

Wim

Thanks. That makes more sense now. MSA is MSL, correct?

The most likely reason for the offset localizer is the lack of room for the array at the end of the runway, which basically ends at the beach.

peace,

the Bean

That could indeed be it, but sense a LOC is a horizontal unit (correct?) it looks like it wouldn't be an issue unless it was because of the room needed going East to West. I'll look at LittleNavMap again tonight and see. I'm on my laptop atm.

So I looked at this more. In LittleNavMap. You can see a small hill about in the path of the LOC, but this is about 2.5 miles out from the threshold and drawing a line right down the center of the runway out to this hill at that point is only about 200' high. At some 2.5 miles out you'd certainly be higher than 200'. So I can't see this hill being the issue and as to why the LOC is offset like that. You can see my line and the hill in this pic from LittleNavMap.

https://imgur.com/E986CjW

E986CjW.jpg

Now I also looked at this airport with Acme Mapper and I still don't really see why this LOC is off center like it is. Also, I made a line showing that there is plenty of room to place a LOC North or South. In fact, it could go right smack dab in the center of the runway. So it seems perhaps the reason as to why this LOC is off center like it is, is due to that hill. I can't think of any other reason.

Acme Mapper link: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=8.11181,98.30431&z=19&t=S&marker0=8.11055%2C98.31249%2CN8*%206.633329%27%20E98*%2018.750007%27

https://imgur.com/JgUpzQL

JgUpzQL.jpg

https://imgur.com/LpBswwN

LpBswwN.jpg

https://imgur.com/PpDx9Ot

PpDx9Ot.jpg

If no one can provide a reasonable explanation to this mystery, I may in fact email the airport and ask. LOL!

Here's what appears to be the LOC.

a7pGjFE.jpg

And here's the ocean.

839c7bP.jpg

There appears to be more than enough room. But now I thought of something. Since the ocean is so close, if during a storm that water creeps up, it could wash over the LOC. So that may be one reason as to why the LOC is placed way up there.

The whole layout of the airport from the get go is really stupid. It's as if they didn't plan accordingly. If it's a property issue, then there's immanent domain. Granted, I don't know how they do things in Thailand.

The whole layout of the airport from the get go is really stupid. It's as if they didn't plan accordingly. If it's a property issue, then there's immanent domain. Granted, I don't know how they do things in Thailand.

The discussion on how airports grow, and eventually no longer fit in their environment, natural or man-made, is an interesting one. I’m sure the Thai aren’t the only ones having trouble with this...

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived