Fix For FS2004 and Windows 10 Problem When FS9 Keeps Crashing

MsThang

This may have been posted already, but after spending hours trying all kinds of things I finally discovered what worked for me to get FS9 to work in Windows 10. Right click on the Flight sim 2004 Launch Icon, click on "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Allow the program to run "Detecting Issues". Then select "Try Recommended Settings" and "Test the Program". Your Fs9 should now run. You may have to repeat this several times when you first run FS 2004. Make sure after closing FS9 you select "Yes, Save These Settings For This Program". This will resolve the compatibility issue with Windows 10. Sorry if I repeated something already on the Forums. Hope this helps someone who was as frustrated as I was.

Ms. Dale Carlson

It's The Music That Matters

Bit frustrated and wish I never saw this post. From curiosity have troubleshooted the compatibility with issue detection and now I have the User Account Control window whenever I start FS. Racking my brains how to get rid of it to no avail.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Uncheck "Run this program in compatibility mode", click on "Change settings for all users", then select "Run this this program as an administrator".

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim,

did exactly as you suggested but no luck. Still asked for permission. UNFORTUNATELY have also noted that after I troubleshooted the compatibility with issue detection for some unknown reason my headings changed and shifted about 13 degrees. Got all my flights starting at JFK RW 4 which had for decades heading 43. Now the runway heading is 30?? Other airports headings I checked are also non realistically changed.

Additionally, when I now minimize the FS to the taskbar (pressing Widows key) I can not get it back to full screen when clicking the minimized taskbar icon. I think I am due for full reinstall.

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

You DO NOT press the Windows Key to minimize FS9. You press 'ALT+ENTER'. This makes FS9 go from Full Screen mode to Windowed Mode. Then Press '-' to minimize. Press on FS9 Icon in tray to bring FS9 to front and then you press 'ALT+ENTER' again to bring FS9 to the front in Full Screen mode.

You RIGHT click the FS9 ICON on your desktop and click 'Run As Administrator' when you go to start FS9. That should take care of any 'compatability' issue. You will still get the 'Allow This Program to Make Changes to Windows' notice: just click YES and you are done.

You SHOULD run FS9 with the 'No CD' exe to avoid any issues Win 10 has with FS9. This is the 'key' to sucessfully run FS9 under Windows 10.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

MANY!!!! Thanks Chuck

This did the trick. Not only I no longer get the UAC message but also my headings came back. JFK RW4 back to correct 043 heading. MUCH!! appreciated. Also Tom MANY thanks for your input! Somehow I feared full reinstall with my 80GB of add-on scenery and aircraft.

Thanks all again,

Cheers

Peter

JFK B787 (2).jpg

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Well alright then!! No re-install IS good news. Glad I could help. You owe me a pint (ha).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived