Nick's tweak guide for FS9?

Skywatcher12

Morning Mark

I have been a member on here since 2000, and have never heard of the Guy you are asking about, there are however a list of tweaks by the late great and much lamented "Opa" AKA david Opa Marshall, the guy knew more about how best to use FS9 than Microsoft, put Opa marxhall into the search engine and up he will pop, very much missed.

Thanks John, I do know all about David Opa Marshall.

The tweak guide is by Nick who has written a comprehensive bible for FSX on one of the links below. I found there was a specific download link for a FS9 type download version that no longer works which is why I asked here. I just wanted to see if there was anything in there that may be worth giving a try.

From another site I was given these links to look over:

https://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

I've looked at many tweaks and suggestions as most of us likely have. So much contradiction, wrong information and something that is hardly ever mentioned, I found with many tweaks/suggestions can come a consequence. For instance, I have found no way to run AA outside of FS. Every suggestion leaves a negative consequence. Everything I've tried does the same so I still run my AA within FS9.

I'm totally happy with where I have my FS9 regarding tweaks. Have I tested every possible tweak or just those I'm using thoroughly? Not even close. However, overall I think I have my FS9 in the ballpark for as good as I will ever get it. When I feel like it, I may have another play with some tweaks and see if there is anything to improve.

Mark Daniels

Guest Sascha66

Try these:

https://biggles11.wixsite.com/the-natural-world/tips-cfg-tweak

Very helpful.

To get AA with the Nvidia Inspector, you must set

AA compatibility to Diablo III

SLI compatibility to Dragon Age: Origins

as seen here

rm3Z1qN.jpg?1

won't work otherwise. I can't remember where I found that particular bit of advice but it made the difference between no AA and perfect AA.

Good luck!

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I know of Howard's tweaks as well. I'll have another good look through and try any suggestions I haven't tried yet.

Here is an example of what you will find on the net regarding tweaks. I posted this entry over at AVSIM.

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=

According to Howard, this entry should be TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3271232.

According to Nick, this entry should be either set to 1 or 4 and nothing else.

According to John Venema (Orbx guru) this value should be 232.

Only one of them can be right and quite possibly all of them could be wrong. From what I have found so far, one of those values does appear to work better than the other two. I haven't tested conclusively enough to be completely certain.

I'll try your AA settings, don't think I've tried those before. I've got AA running in FS9. The issues with AA occur if you are a 2D panel user. I've not found a way around the problems. I fix one problem, results in a new problem being created.

Mark Daniels

As Joachim (Jobia), who published his intensive studies in his FS9 "texture bible" - approx. 500 pages in German (http://www.jobia.de/) has noted, the maximum value for TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS is 4. Furthermore, as is also shown in his document, this value makes NO difference if the first two, that is: TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS are set to the maximum of 4 anyway.

Anything else is pure Snake Oil.

As Joachim (Jobia), who published his intensive studies in his FS9 "texture bible" - approx. 500 pages in German (http://www.jobia.de/) has noted, the maximum value for TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS is 4. Furthermore, as is also shown in his document, this value makes NO difference if the first two, that is: TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS are set to the maximum of 4 anyway.

Anything else is pure Snake Oil.

Thanks, I've been doing exactly that with my own tests and looking to get to the bottom of all the snake oil stuff on the net! lol

I haven't been through that guide. I know it needs translation. The PDF link is dead. Anyone have a working link or could pass it on?

Mark Daniels

To get AA with the Nvidia Inspector, you must set

AA compatibility to Diablo III

SLI compatibility to Dragon Age: Origins

Ok, so I tested this. Same as any other method. AA is applied to all aspects of FS9.

The result is any 2D panels become affected and this results in the appearance of a "soft" panel.

In other words, the panel just doesn't look as sharp any longer and you lose clarity.

I am including 2 examples of what happens with AA applied outside and inside of FS below from the iFly 737 panel.

Overall, the main panel and any other 2D panels will look soft.

There are ways to make the panels appear sharp again but this then results in other negative consequences.

For VC flying, sure, a little softness to the 2D panels likely isn't a big deal.

AA applied outside of FS is better for everything outside the aircraft than the default AA.

However, inside the aircraft, things are not so great especially if you are a 2D flyer.

As I spend most of my time inside the aircraft, it's the panel that is most important.

If you can't clearly see the difference in this thread, save the images somewhere and open them with the default Windows picture viewer. Flick back and forth and you will see the difference.

These are just small portions of the main panel to make viewing in the thread easier. When you view the entire panel full screen in the game, the softness and lack of clarity is very apparent and undesired.

In regards to AA, my conclusion, I don't believe there is any way to run successful AA outside of FS if you are a 2D flyer and want sharp panels, good clarity with no other negative consequences.

Default FS9 AA

1FS9AA.jpg

Nvidia AA

1FSAA.jpg

Default FS9 AA

0FS9AA.jpg

Nvidia AA

0FSAA.jpg

Mark Daniels

For iFly users and this post has nothing to do with AA, but a similar sharpness difference is found if you use the current iFly 2D panel compared to the old one they had. This is one of the main reasons I use the old version of the iFly 2D panel. The iFly sharpness loss between old and new panels is the same for both FS9 and FSX versions.
Mark Daniels

Thanks John, I do know all about David Opa Marshall.

The tweak guide is by Nick who has written a comprehensive bible for FSX on one of the links below. I found there was a specific download link for a FS9 type download version that no longer works which is why I asked here. I just wanted to see if there was anything in there that may be worth giving a try.

You are welcome Mark, at least my post served to wake some people up:)

Archived