TOD and waypoint altitudes on descent

alexzar14

guys is there a utility or a flightplaner that can tell/guide you thru descent (and climbs) and tell you the T/D point? I use an FSCommander FSC10 I believe, it doesn't tell you that, and various online calculators or hand calculation is a nightmare when flying analogue-tech planes, it's a sim world after all.

In Xplane 11 the default CDU calculates for you this data (the developers include it with analogue planes like 727 732 etc), in P3D I know of nothing similar.

Another question is, how do you fly a SID/STAR with analogue instruments but... forget about it for now ))) right now I need a utility or a planner to do the altitude calcs for me.

How about some simple math?

Cruising at 35,000ft (FL350), need to cross a waypoint at 10,000ft.

35,000 - 10,000 = 25,000ft.

Drop the last 3 zeros = 25.

25 x 3 = 75 miles from waypoint= TOD. (Add 10% to give you a little room to play with, 75 + 7 = 82 miles).

Rate of descent in ft/min = groundspeed.

Those numbers will get you close, every time.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

+1 what Bean said. That is the most reliable way to figure TOD.

Have you tried LittleNavMap? (A google search is your friend on where to get it.) When you make a flight plan in LNM it will show you TOD on your route. A cheat I use is to use the TOD spot as a waypoint.

Good luck.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Ill check out the LittleNavMap, although I hopped there is a cdu interface-like utility or something that calculates target altitudes.

Speaking of the "formula", thing is I don't know which waypoint on the plan needs to be crossed at 10,000 ft, furthermore most of the waypoints in modern flightplans are not vors or adfs but conditional waypoints, so I don't know what to base this calculation in, we need to expand.

There is a lot of info/videos on youtube but some things (like, flying analogue planes in modern conditions with sids/stars) is still a "guarded secret" ))) No older videos either, with detailed 707 operations the way they did in the 60s/70s. Man those guys flying the DC9s in 2000s must be aces.

I've seen some simmers posting videos with DC9 flights but it's too complicated I still don't understand it.

Archived