Effect parking brake

hjwalter

Yes, in the aircraft.cfg file scroll down to the [brakes] section and change the parking brake value from 1.0 to 1.5 for example.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes, in the aircraft.cfg file scroll down to the [brakes] section and change the parking brake value from 1.0 to 1.5 for example.

Interesting! Normally doesn't it just refer to parking brake availability? 1=available 0=no parking brake.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So it does, thanks Charlie. Increasing the toe brakes scalar value should also increase the parking brake strength as well.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The 'toe brake scaler=x' line is the simple way to get more braking 'effect' for your airplane. Sometimes develpers make the model nose heavy to where ANY braking will tip it over (like on landing). This has nothing to do with 'toe brake scalar' but CAN be fixed.

The other place to increase your brake 'effect' is found in the air file's Section 332 (Wheel Brakes Available= 1 //True (or '0' False) ----AND---- in Section 1101 (Flight Dynamics) 'Braking Strength=xxxxx' (32768 (Max)).

After that, if you still want more 'braking effect' you CAN use the spoiler to: 'stop on a dime'.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey guys,

It was not the braking effect of the brakes used during slowing down, e.g. on runways after landing, that I was asking about but what I meant was the parking brake, which on some of my aircraft does not seem to be strong enough, even at idle engine power.

Regards

Hans

Hey guys,

It was not the braking effect of the brakes used during slowing down, e.g. on runways after landing, that I was asking about but what I meant was the parking brake, which on some of my aircraft does not seem to be strong enough, even at idle engine power.

Regards

Hans

I figured that but let everyone else ramble on about the toe brakes. Some jets just have too much thrust at idle and even some turbo props. As far as I know, there is no adjustment to make the "Parking Brake" stronger. Have you considered tossing out an anchor?;)

I don't 'ramble'! But I did say: you can use (strong drag on) the spoiler to hold you when the toe brakes (or the parking brake) won't 'hold' you (due to model, etc). Can You Hear Me Now? (I doubt it).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

As Chuck said in post #6, in the .air file Section 1101 is the entry:

*Braking Strength - Max (ft/sec^2 * 2048?)=32767

The number 32767 is the maximum braking power available for parking brakes, toe brakes and differential brakes - ALL the brakes!

If this number is any lower in your .air file you should change it to 32767 and then alter the toe_brakes_scale and differential_brakes_scale accordingly in the [brakes] section of the aircraft.cfg file.

The toe and differential brakes scalars are percentages of that total Braking Strength figure in the .air file.

As I said in post #2 - if your toe_brakes_scale=1.0 (100%) and it still isn't enough, increase it to 1.5 (150%) or more and see if there's an improvement.

If there isn't any improvement, the problem isn't the parking brake:

It could be a contact points problem caused by the wheels not being fully in contact with the ground;

In a jet, it could be that the engine idle rpm or the idle thrust is too high;

In a turboprop, it could be that the (beta_min) prop pitch is too high.

I figured that but let everyone else ramble on about the toe brakes. Some jets just have too much thrust at idle and even some turbo props. As far as I know, there is no adjustment to make the "Parking Brake" stronger. Have you considered tossing out an anchor?;)

Yes, I tried an anchor with a steel chain but that made my plane too heavy for normal flight, making it necessary to increase my engine power and wing area. Moreover, the anchor kept ploughing up the run- and taxiways, not to mention that it kept whacking my tail during flight. Otherwise, it worked great and I can really recomend it.

However, I will have a go at what Tim suggested because the number of airports which still accept me landing there, has declined drastically.

Hans

Hey there Mr. Zippy,

I tried a parking brake value of 1.5 in one of my aircraft.cfg files but that didn't seem to do very much. However, when opening a flight using an aircraft with a value of 2.5 as it's parking brake value, a surprise message at the bottom of my screen saying something like: "GROUND RESTRAINT - disable by advancing the throttle", was given. Didn't notice any difference though, nor did advancing the throttle.

Maybe I stumbled onto something new here but have yet to find out what this could really mean in practice.

Hans

Hey there Mr. Zippy,

I tried a parking brake value of 1.5 in one of my aircraft.cfg files but that didn't seem to do very much. However, when opening a flight using an aircraft with a value of 2.5 as it's parking brake value, a surprise message at the bottom of my screen saying something like: "GROUND RESTRAINT - disable by advancing the throttle", was given. Didn't notice any difference though, nor did advancing the throttle.

Maybe I stumbled onto something new here but have yet to find out what this could really mean in practice.

Hans

Beats me! Maybe it thinks you have now chocked your wheels??

Archived