Is Steam worth the Upgrade in Windows 10 for FSX

MsThang

I have been flying in Windows 10 for a while and worked out all the bugs I have encountered with Acceleration Expansion Pack. I see most of you are now using FSX Steam. Do you recommend upgrading to it for FSX in Windows 10. What advantages are there? What disadvantages are there. I would hate to add to a program that works fine only to find that I introduced a new set of problems. Why do I need to join the Steam community just to buy the software. I don't do any multi player flying if that is all the app is for. What is Steam all about and should I buy it?

Ms. Dale Carlson

It's The Music That Matters

Steam is really just a digital (CD-less) distribution platform. When Dovetail Games licensed the publishing rights from Microsoft they took out the defunct GameSpy multiplayer connector and replaced it with one based on Steam's server finder, and changed some of the default tweaks in FSX.CFG for modern computers. If you've got FSX sorted out to your satisfaction and don't care about the old built-in multiplayer feature, then there's probably no compelling reason to change. It's still the same old FSX - no changes to the content or the sim engine.

Probably the one advantage is that once you own a game on Steam, you can re-download it any time. No digging out your CD's if you have to re-install, no risk of CDs going bad with read failures. So for some, it's just cheap insurance to buy it on sale for cheap on Steam and have the install files forever backed-up.

That's not entirely true. FSX:SE contains a number of bug fixes and is built using a much more modern compiler for better optimization and performance. See: https://fsxinsider.com/fsx-steam-edition-and-boxed-fsx-what-is-the-difference/.

If you decide to change, there's some information here that's worth reading first: https://fsxinsider.com/transitioning-from-boxed-fsx-to-fsxse-part-1-fsx-stripback/. Whilst it's perfectly possible to have both the boxed and Steam version on the same system, I'd recommend removing the boxed version full as you may encounter problems with some add-ons not going where you'd expect them to, or not being visible to both versions, when installed.

This is correct. Steam version has MANY bug fixes and updates. Rarely does my crash anymore. And, there is multiplayer. Sure, same stupid children on there, especially sice it was going for $9.95 on several sales.

Buts much more stable than ever. All your stuff works. be SURE to uninstall FSX completely, including the registry before you install Steam version. Big problems when installing add ons if you don't.

I'm using Steam with Windows 7. I loaded it into all of the suggested default locations as instructed, with my old boxed version still left in place. It went in smooth as silk, and vastly outperforms old boxed. All of the nasty little gremlins, gone. Nary a glitch, hiccup, or crash ever. It gets along with old boxed just fine using Windows 7. However, having said that .... I have read of some people having problems using Windows 10. But I understand that all can be worked out. The Guru's here should be able to help you with that. Just sayin.

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Archived