P3D 4.4 Stutters

dnpaul

Hi all. I am giving P3D another try, now that more of my favorite aircraft are making their way into the P3D universe.

I have a system with an I5 6600K running at 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gig RAM, and a GTX 950 GPU running on Win7-64. I have most settings middle-of-the-road, and I get great frame rates, either locked at 30 or set unlimited. I have AS16, FTX Global Base and Vector, and REX Soft Clouds and HD Direct.

My issue is that, when looking out the frot windscreen, I get very smooth flight without stutters. But looking out the side windows, or in external view, especially with the ground visible, I get little stutters every 2 to 3 seconds. They aren't really bad, but they are enough to blow the immersion. My FSX setup does not have them. I also get them looking out the front windscreen during turns, where the ground is passing through my field of view.

There was another thread about this, but it devolved into a quarrel over frame rates and unlimited vs locked.

I've tried defragging, didn't seem to help. Moving all the sliders to minimums (to the left) results in crappy looking world, but still with these little stutters. I've looked at process manager and shut everything down that I am able to, but no difference.

What I'm thinking about trying is getting a larger SSD (I already have my FSX install on one, but there isn't room for P3D on it), and also maybe looking into getting a better GPU. I tried overclocking my CPU to 4.3 Ghz, but the stutters are still there.

I stress that my framerates are great. They are not dipping way down during the stutters or anything. My aircraft are flying smoothly.

Any ideas? Any Windows services that I can dispense with safely that could be interrupting? I don't rteally know where to go from here. I want to solve this, though. I really like the P3D world better than FSX. I love having the zorder bug fixed.

Well if anyone in future has this stutter issue, I improved it a great deal by downloading a program called display driver uninstaller and running it. Then a fresh install of the latest driver for my GTX 950 and a purge of the P3D shader cache seems to have helped a bunch. I also told my antivirus not to scan the P3D folders or the User folder where other P3D files live.

I ordered a new, bigger SSD to put P3D onto when it gets here. I think disk reads are the only little stutters I am seeing now, so an SSD might make those go away.

Well if anyone in future has this stutter issue, I improved it a great deal by downloading a program called display driver uninstaller and running it. Then a fresh install of the latest driver for my GTX 950 and a purge of the P3D shader cache seems to have helped a bunch. I also told my antivirus not to scan the P3D folders or the User folder where other P3D files live.

I ordered a new, bigger SSD to put P3D onto when it gets here. I think disk reads are the only little stutters I am seeing now, so an SSD might make those go away.

Nope. but a new better graphic card might...

How much better than my GTX 950 do you think I need to go? I looked at the GTX 1070. A little over $320. Do I need to go that high?

It's not just the card - and the GTX 1070 will be adequate. It's the size of the VRAM. Go for a minimum of 8gb on the card. This will define `acceptable` in card terms.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new SSD drive and the GTX1070/8Gb installed and running P3D now.

Wow! That completely got rid of the stutters. Just awesome. I think I got a great value for 300 bucks for the card and 70 bucks for the SSD. I had some trouble, but now it's all working great.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Enjoy!

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived