A P-51 Warbird, What a Dream to Fly!

Downwind66

Looking good Rick! She's a beauty

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this Mr. Carter's P-51? Great pics of it Jim! :cool::cool::cool:

Fred, I mean Jan :rolleyes:, this is one of Bob Chicilo's (an ALPHA d/l) downloads! I have had very good success with many of his downloads! Thanks Bob, this turned out to be another great download of yours!

Rick :cool:

Is this Mr. Carter's P-51? Great pics of it Jim! :cool::cool::cool:

Tsk, ...... It was Rick who posted those pictures Jan, not Jim. You had better be careful using that stuff my friend. ( Poor sick man )

...................................................................stoned 3.jpg

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

ha, here we go again!

Personally, I love the P-51! I did waaaay more than 300 repaints for it, for all kinds of different models. However, none for the old alphasim model I admit. I did do a few for Warwick Carters version in FS9, which was looking better that the alphasim version and was freeware too, way back when. However, then came the payware Shockwave (now A2A) P-51 in the wings of power version (FS9), and later in the WWII fighters version (same model, but better textures, first FS9 later FSX), and I went completely overboard repainting it. Then came Warbirdsim with every conceivable version of the P-51B and P-51D for FS9, X and P3D , and then the A2A version with accusim. I still prefer the looks of the WBS versions over the A2A version, but all of them are sooo much better looking than this alphasim P-51. Ground textures too have improved immensely since 2004, but these shots look like something from 15 years ago to me, like the P-38 shots earlier.

Now I understand that not everybody is able to afford payware, but there is sooo much GREAT freeware around, both airplanes and ground textures, that I wonder why people are enjoying this.

Don't get me wrong, I love people seeing enjoying nice (freeware) models, but please, look at some of the recent stuff, and your screenshots will look so much better! Also, try to leave out shots with all these text messages, why do leave them in a screenshot?

I'm not saying that my screenshots are perfect, but I've always tried to make them as realistic as possible, which is what I'm missing here.

Sorry to be such a brute...

ah, and if you want advice regarding good freeware , you know where to find me, i.e. here.

Slapping paint on flightsim models

you'll find all my FSX/P3D repaints here and all my MSFS repaints here.

Jan - You say, "ha, here we go again," as if you have said this before? If you did, sorry I missed it. I surely would have responded the same as I am about to!

You say, "Don't get me wrong, I love people seeing enjoying nice (freeware) models, but please, look at some of the recent stuff, and your screenshots will look so much better! Also, try to leave out shots with all these text messages, why do leave them in a screenshot?

I'm not saying that my screenshots are perfect, but I've always tried to make them as realistic as possible, which is what I'm missing here.

Sorry to be such a brute..."

Apparently, many of OUR screen shots are less than realistic, and because of that, you feel compelled to be a critic of those who participate. I for one, joined this forum because it is a Community Forum which allows persons of all experience levels to participate in a hobby that we all have come to love! From the most inexperienced flight simmer to the current and past RW pilots (me being one of those) and to those who view this forum as just another gaming experience, we all participate in a non-competitive manner. If you think all of us thrive to take screen shots as well as you do, you might be mistaken! I never knew any of us were being judged on the aircraft we are downloading or the sharing of our screenshots with our fellow members!

You speak of freeware as if it is a bad thing, something free that doesn't afford all the beautiful textures, scenery and more! I can't fly the real thing anymore, and the freeware that I have downloaded satisfies my appetite in every way! If it didn't I wouldn't download it, and if I did download it and I didn't like it, it would not stay with me long! Can payware do that for me? I don't think so! I think the developers do just fine with what they provide us at no cost! Even "screenshots of freeware aircraft looking like something from 15 years ago" (your words not mine) being shared with other members of this forum are being submitted without the slightest chance of feeling that you are being judged! You say, "I've always tried to make them as realistic as possible.................." , which if that is what toots your horn, then so be it! Maybe, you should ask the forum administrator/moderators to purge their library files that are 15 years or older, so that members won't post screenshots of them on the screenshot forum!

I for one, enjoy the screenshot forum for several reasons; we can all participate, share thoughts with each other, rag on each other (but all in jest) and genuinely be friends with one another. If all we did is submit screenshots with no associated texts to go along with them, that would be like watching TV with the volume turned down!

Continue doing what you are doing, Jan! Your screenshots are very nice to look at! But understand, I will throw praise equally to those submitting screenshots from their downloads, even the ones from downloads 15 years or older, as they are just as deserving as yours! If you have any further complaints or concerns, I would suggest taking them up with the board! I for one, will not do anything different than what I have been doing on this forum. If you don't like my sceenshots, just scroll past my posts, as they more than likely will not live up to your standards! :rolleyes:

Rick :cool:

Guys, I am not trying to be the bad guy here, I just try to understand.

I don't have a problem with freeware, in fact I love freeware and use it a lot. But, as with the P-38, I just wonder why people would use models of over 15 years old. If that rings your bell, fine. But as one who spends countless hours trying you give the best textures I can make for you guys (and all for free too), I just wonder why I try sometimes.

But I'll shut up now and hide in my paintshed.

Slapping paint on flightsim models

you'll find all my FSX/P3D repaints here and all my MSFS repaints here.

I sent you a PM JK. :) JK: One thing is for sure: none has any doubts about the quality of your work, and the love and efforts you put into it. My hanger is filled with your paint-art! You made your point clearly, and so did Rick. Lots of people simply can't afford to buy a lot of payware stuff, and others are new to Flightsim and are confronted with a whole new world of possibilities here and start to learn installing repaints and sceneries. And that's the advantage of being a member of this great forum! You learn and enjoy pics from other members, freeware AND payware!
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Being a FS simmer since 1998 -- sigh! ;) -- I have to say that a lot of us keep reluctant to paywares because at the start of that, there was that great community of freeware. Now that the payware business, on the other hand, developed recently more and more, I do find that some paywares are indeed outstanding, and likely worth the buy! But just understand that most of simmers were used to find basic -- then not so basic -- freewares. Personally, for example, I just bought one freeware in those years, a Boeing liner, just because I couldn't get enough info on the Internet about a airliner's FMC.

Like a French saying goes "chacun voit midi à sa porte" (literally 'each one is seeing midday at his door'; likely 'each one does like he finds it good for him' or something like :):) The FS world is vast enough for anyone interested in, to make his way like he likes into the simming world, finally. There are those who just enjoy jumping into a plane and fly, those trying for more realism, RW pilots who find FS a way to keep their interest living, those who prefer military, those airliners, etc. etc. That's likely what makes our community so great and fine, a great gathering of people fond of aviation, whatever how that fondness expresses itself!

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Well said old friend. I myself, with my very limited experience, am honored to be allowed to participate in this very elite aviation community.

Thank you for allowing me to be one of you.

Uncle Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Archived