Looking to Start Flight Simming and not sure what hardware config i should get

CJS

Hi,

I am interested in Flight Simming, and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what to get for a computer, and other items I will want, in order to start getting my feet wet with Flight Simming.

Any HW and SW advice would be very helpful. I would say my budget would be $800-$1,000

Thanks so much,

CJS

To start off, I would suggest determining what Sim to use and how much money you are will to invest in it. You can get FSX-SE on sale every once in a while for $5. P3D is approx. $60-200 depending on which version you want/qualify for and it's an additional charge each time it updates.

At any rate, you will need a computer with a decent Graphics card and a very strong CPU. Intel is the best.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I am thinking FSX from Microsoft. Is there anywhere I can get a rundown of what I would need to have the best experience starting out for the optimal price?

I just did a quick Google search and came up with this:

http://c-aviation.net/perfect-pc-fsx-p3d-jan-2017/

You can also search through the FSX and Hardware forums here to see if anyone has already started a thread about best computer for FSX.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...I have done some initial research and think I have a good PC to start flight simming below:

1. CPU: Intel i7 7700k 4.2GHz - $450

2. Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming K5 - $283

3. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - $300

4. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 - $119

5. SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 - $50

6. Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 AIO or Cooler Master Evo 212 CPU (non liquid)

7. PSU: Aerocool Integrator 700W 80+

8. Box: CiT Blaze Gaming Chassis

A couple more questions:

1. I was advised that the MSI video card is a "better choice".

2. Also MSI Carbon Pro (Killer NIC) for MOBO. Is this something you know of and recommend?

3. Overclocking - Doesn't sound like it would be necessary with the configuration I am looking to get.

4. Finally, what other ancillary items will I need for an ideal start to Flight Simming. Goal obviously, is to begin learning flight simming, and build up my experience and resources. But to start, for example, would I want 2 screens or just onet? Just a joystick or an actual yoke? Any add-ons?

Just curious as I take the next steps which is building my PC.

Thanks again,

Chris Shannon

Hi. Don't buy anything just yet. Two parts I have some doubts about.

1,2,3,4 seem great. (though I don't know that mainboard it should be a good fit for the 7700k I think.).

5 - better go for 500 or 512 gb or so ssd.

(especially if the pc is used for more then only fsx.)

8, I think that there's much better cases. But takes some time to search and compare. Have spent some time on that already, need to spend some more.

Also need to take a very close look at that mainboard to better advise on a case.

Eyes are getting a bit tired. I'll continue staring at hardware info websites tomorrow.

Oh yes, had a question. You mentioned wanting a laptop. It seems you decided in favour of desktop now. But would you like the desktop to be easy to move from room to room? (some cases can be heavy and a little awkward to pick up.)

Or would the pc be spending most time in a dedicated spot? (more quiet cases are usually heavier) (Wider cases are cooler (lower temperature) , and usually have better options for routing cables out of the way so the airflow can optimally cool the parts.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WITH FSX & TO A SLIGHTLY LESS EXTENT, P3D, CPU SPEED IS A MUST!! Yes we can talk about ram etc. but if the CPU isn't pumping quickly, you're not going to be happy.

I'd hugely recommend the i9-9900K CPU! Mine runs at 4.9 with base settings.

Plus some fast DDR4 Ram to go with it. With FSX, 16 gig is plenty. But if you're thinking P3D, go ahead and spring for 32 or more gig. If you're starting from scratch do it right the first time. ;)

And especially if you're looking to run P3D, I'd also recommend a GPU with 8 gig of onboard video ram.

ADD WATER COOLING AS WELL! Running at speed produces a lot of heat.

Good Luck!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived