NEW TO P3D v.4 -- Need advice on airplanes

Mac6737

I sprang for P3D last week, after using FSX since the primordial beginnings.

So far, I'm happy. I've been able to DL and install my Orbx scenery without problems (so far), and I am no longer crashing to desktop (knock wood).

But I am disappointed in the choice of planes. Why are there no commercial jetliners in P3D? No 737, 747, Airbuses, whereas FSX had a pretty good fleet.

I'm afraid to ask: Is there any reason I can't copy an FSX plane into P3Dv.4? And if not, can someone recommend some affordable payware?

Thanks,

Mac6737

I sprang for P3D last week, after using FSX since the primordial beginnings.

So far, I'm happy. I've been able to DL and install my Orbx scenery without problems (so far), and I am no longer crashing to desktop (knock wood).

But I am disappointed in the choice of planes. Why are there no commercial jetliners in P3D? No 737, 747, Airbuses, whereas FSX had a pretty good fleet.

I'm afraid to ask: Is there any reason I can't copy an FSX plane into P3Dv.4? And if not, can someone recommend some affordable payware?

Thanks,

Mac6737

Obviously more research needed.

737's and Airbuses a-plenty, when you look.

FSX planes cannot be used in P3Dv4 unless they are proven compatible. 32-bit versus 64-bit gauge compatibility.

Hi, Mallcott.

Nothing is usually harmed by copying an FSX plane to P3Dv4. What it really depends upon is the age of the gauges used in the panel. XML gauges work fine, but old gauges compiled under 32 bit don't. The default planes such as the 737, Beaver, 747, F/A-18, and Baron work well. I haven't tried out the Mustangs.

Generally, everything fails gracefully if it fails, but not always. Graceful failure means the gauge simply doesn't appear. However, the old freeware Alpha F-22 made an incredible mess. The one line tool bar expanded to fill the entire screen with no words, and nothing worked. It causes problems even if you are not using the plane - I had to completely purge all traces from P3Dv4 to make it work again.

I think the Alpha F-22 may have originally been FS2004.

For my own development, I maintain copies of both FSX and P3Dv4 and test on both.

Hope this helps.

David Allan

I was referring to the planes resident in P3D. I don't believe that scrolling through the choices is "research."

Research means KNOWING that you have purchased a Lockheed-Martin sim: Why on Earth would you expect products from other manufacturers in the same product space to be included?

Research: The latest iteration of P3D - v4.4 actually saw several default aircraft removed for that very reason - and they weren't even L-M provided product - they were supplied by the aftermarket.

Any aeroplane that installs into the SimObjects\Airplanes folder is NOT following Lockheed-Martin recommendations for installation: Read the instructions carefully about the .xml method, which is the approved manner of installation.

For now, the `old` FSX method is still usable, but no longer approved. Forum has lots of information so research needed there as well...

Research means KNOWING that you have purchased a Lockheed-Martin sim: Why on Earth would you expect products from other manufacturers in the same product space to be included?

Research: The latest iteration of P3D - v4.4 actually saw several default aircraft removed for that very reason - and they weren't even L-M provided product - they were supplied by the aftermarket.

Ooh, I hope we are not getting testy in this generally friendly space. Of course I knew I had purchased an LM product. My original post lamented the absence of commercial jetliners in that very product, and also asked for advice on compatible payware.

Also, you say, "the latest iteration of P3d - v.4.4 actually saw several default aircraft removed for that very reason." What reason was that? If something was "default" in P3D, then LM itself must have put in there, whether under license or not. My version of P3D v.4.4 has several default aircraft from other developers, and some of them that advertise on this site make planes compatible with both FSX and P3D -- Carenado, for example.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

My 2 cents... the FSX C172 is transferable to P3Dv4.4. I've flown it quite often without a problem.
Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Ooh, I hope we are not getting testy in this generally friendly space. Of course I knew I had purchased an LM product. My original post lamented the absence of commercial jetliners in that very product, and also asked for advice on compatible payware.

Also, you say, "the latest iteration of P3d - v.4.4 actually saw several default aircraft removed for that very reason." What reason was that? If something was "default" in P3D, then LM itself must have put in there, whether under license or not. My version of P3D v.4.4 has several default aircraft from other developers, and some of them that advertise on this site make planes compatible with both FSX and P3D -- Carenado, for example.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

It was because

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545979-p3dv44-all-default-beechcraft-removed/

Thank you. Nice to know. But P3D has a couple of other little planes already. I want a heavy!

If you are looking for Payware Heavies, check out the PMDG 747 and 777 as well as the 737 at https://www.precisionmanuals.com/ Keep in mind that they are study-level. For a nice 787, try http://www.qualitywingssim.com/v.2.0.1.8/index.php.

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

Some FSX models will work, some will not and some can mess up your system. Safest route is to get those designed for P3D. Next would be those with legitimate P3D installers. Next would be those that you KNOW will port over without issue. Anything else is a crap shoot which could cause you to have to reinstall the works.

IMHO, it's better to be cautious unless you enjoy reinstalling.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Some FSX models will work, some will not and some can mess up your system. Safest route is to get those designed for P3D. Next would be those with legitimate P3D installers. Next would be those that you KNOW will port over without issue. Anything else is a crap shoot which could cause you to have to reinstall the works.

IMHO, it's better to be cautious unless you enjoy reinstalling.

Vic

Remember, the correct an approved method for genuine P3D v4 installations is the `.xml method` NOT the install to SimObjects approach.

So even `genuine` P3D installers need to be checked. Carenado installers are classically `wrong` even though they offer a P3dv4 button...

Now, for this verson (P3Dv4.4) one can still get away with installation into SimObjects\Airplanes but there is no guarantee that this will be retained from the next version.

I have dealt with problems with `part-installed` addons for both scenery and aircraft where using the old method has led to issues which required a full reinstall, as Vic says. Hence the advice to research properly...

Archived