P-38 "Reaper" at Randolph AFB, TX

DAVIDSTRAKA

Installed scenery of Randolph AFB, Texas Scenery for FSX, by James Shaddox, located in the file library and the p-38 "Reaper." I was stationed at RAFB for about 3 years. This scenery brings me back for sure. The only exception is they had T-37s back then and not the T6 Texan as their basic trainer. However the scenery is set up to have the T6 as AI on the base! They are shooting touch and gos.

Reaper - RAFB.jpg

Reaper - RAFB1.jpg

Reaper - RAFB2.jpg

Reaper - RAFB3.jpg

Reaper - RAFB4.jpg

Reaper - RAFB5.jpg

Reaper - RAFB6.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nicely done David. Nice scenery too. :cool: :cool: :)

Thanks Larry, much appreciated

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Beautiful Randolph scenery David, and the "Reaper" belongs there :cool::pilot::pilot:

Thank you sir!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Outstanding scenery David ....... I love flying the P-38 in any color.

Landing practice Video >>>>

Sorry if the video appeared a little bit off center, but I was fighting a 70 mph, left to right crosswind ya know, and that's the truth ! I swear. :mad:

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

Outstanding scenery David ....... I love flying the P-38 in any color.

Landing practice Video >>>>

Sorry if the video appeared a little bit off center, but I was fighting a 70 mph, left to right crosswind ya know, and that's the truth ! I swear. :mad:

Well, hats off to you for landing that well with that kind of cross wind! Nice job.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not True you hear! :confused: I was there the whole time and it was completely calm. No wind at all! Just a gentle breeze! SO? HUH? TSK! :mad:

:D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The real truth is that Peerhoven is over medicated, and wouldn't know a tree from an outhouse. He is known as the scourge of Amsterdam. His transportation company is unreliable, illicit, and currently under investigation by the authorities for fraud. No wind .... Baah humbug ! Peer needs psychological help, and should not be allowed to fly or drive anything. He is a threat to society, and should be locked up in a rubber room. Maybe, the Russian Gulag for him again ?

.........................................................................Grumpy old man.jpg

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

It's a free for all here in the forum! :cool:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I kind of knew that was coming! I looked at the video, too, and I didn't see any trees blowing, but I don't think those recorded videos would show that anyway. It's an animated video, not like a captured real world video, where you would see it!

Maybe Uncle Jim got a report of the winds from ATC? It really doesn't matter, I think he did an excellent job landing that "Bad Boy!" PAAAAHHHH!

Rick :cool:

Nice pictures, I love the contrast of a P-38 against a background of two sexy supersonic Talons! Great work David.

Best wishes,

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice pictures, I love the contrast of a P-38 against a background of two sexy supersonic Talons! Great work David.

Best wishes,

Khalid

Thanks!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I kind of knew that was coming! I looked at the video, too, and I didn't see any trees blowing, but I don't think those recorded videos would show that anyway. It's an animated video, not like a captured real world video, where you would see it!

Maybe Uncle Jim got a report of the winds from ATC? It really doesn't matter, I think he did an excellent job landing that "Bad Boy!" PAAAAHHHH!

I agree it was a good smooth landing (doesn't look like much crabbing was needed for a 70mph cross wind though) but what baffles me that he exited the runway on own accord. The minute my wheels touch the tarmac I get nag after nag over the radio to "exit the runway when able!" just can't taxi fast enough to the next taxi way.

I think Jim bribed the tower folks in FSX. :pilot: :cool:

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Khalid - "Exit the runway when able" means exactly that, give me a taxi way, and let my plane know it's ready to make that turn. They can nag all they want. Years ago, I was making a RW approach to land at Boca Raton (no control tower back then), a small Cessna ahead of me, must have been someone receiving instruction, stops dead in the middle of the runway!!! Now, he needed to be told "exit the runway NOW!!" No discussion, just do it! But, thank goodness those instances don't happen often, and when they do, we pilots just have to adjust to the task at hand, which means "go around" if need be! Not the student's fault!

In that I don't do anymore RW flying, that is all behind me! Now I can grumble all I want, the flight sim doesn't listen to me, and I just do what I can, when I can! My wife is usually in the bedroom reading her books or watching tv, door closed, so she doesn't have to listen to me! :rolleyes:

Ain't life grand!

Uncle Jim - Keep making good landings in that sweet P-38!

Khalid - "Exit the runway when able" means exactly that, give me a taxi way, and let my plane know it's ready to make that turn. They can nag all they want. Years ago, I was making a RW approach to land at Boca Raton (no control tower back then), a small Cessna ahead of me, must have been someone receiving instruction, stops dead in the middle of the runway!!! Now, he needed to be told "exit the runway NOW!!" No discussion, just do it! But, thank goodness those instances don't happen often, and when they do, we pilots just have to adjust to the task at hand, which means "go around" if need be! Not the student's fault!

In that I don't do anymore RW flying, that is all behind me! Now I can grumble all I want, the flight sim doesn't listen to me, and I just do what I can, when I can! My wife is usually in the bedroom reading her books or watching tv, door closed, so she doesn't have to listen to me! :rolleyes:

Ain't life grand!

Uncle Jim - Keep making good landings in that sweet P-38!

I like the stories people tell from memory lane. Yours included. There is a challenge that I have set for myself on FSX, namely to exit the runway before being nagged to do that by the controller, and to date I haven't been able to achieve that. I do realize that Jim didn't have ATC on when he recorded that landing, but would I miss the opportunity to pester?

All the best.

Khalid :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I like the stories people tell from memory lane. Yours included. There is a challenge that I have set for myself on FSX, namely to exit the runway before being nagged to do that by the controller, and to date I haven't been able to achieve that. I do realize that Jim didn't have ATC on when he recorded that landing, but would I miss the opportunity to pester?

All the best.

Khalid :cool:

My motto, "Hit the first high speed taxi way or slow down enough and turn off into the grass ;):cool:"

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, David and Khalid, also if you should land short in the threshold area, the controller starts barking their "contact ground control on 121.9" and you've got a long way to go before you come close to the first taxiway! AND, if you don't respond, you will get a "Cessna XXX, please acknowledge!" They do the same thing if you defiantly decide to land on the wrong runway, soon as you touchdown, you will get the command to contact ground control. So, in any case, I just take it as it is, and when I get there, I will gladly exit the runway!

I have to say, in real world flying, dealing with ATC isn't that trying! They are usually very easy to deal with! JMHO!

Yes, David and Khalid, also if you should land short in the threshold area, the controller starts barking their "contact ground control on 121.9" and you've got a long way to go before you come close to the first taxiway! AND, if you don't respond, you will get a "Cessna XXX, please acknowledge!" They do the same thing if you defiantly decide to land on the wrong runway, soon as you touchdown, you will get the command to contact ground control. So, in any case, I just take it as it is, and when I get there, I will gladly exit the runway!

I have to say, in real world flying, dealing with ATC isn't that trying! They are usually very easy to deal with! JMHO!

Funny you mention that. Once I was given a visual approach to a runway I didn't want. Asked for an ILS to a different runway, clearance for the ILS and circle to land at the first assigned runway. I ignored it, made my ILS, landed and got yelled at that I was not cleared to land! The bright side, at least they did tell me to contact the FAA! :cool::D

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had some serious arguments.....:( Flying older planes means you're SLOW...... The idea of having a DC-10 in your "neck" while flying an AN-2 ....

Full power approach and landing, damn the torpedo's!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived