Newcomer looking for tips on building cockpit

Pizmo

Hello everyone.

I have been playing P3D for about a year now, and I am truly envious of people I see that have built home cockpits. Until now I have not had the budget to buy all the necessary monitors and computer hardware that would be needed for a basic multi monitor home cockpit. However, I seemed to have lucked out as the company I work for has closed one of its offices and my boss gave me a whole assortment of computer goodies. Here is a list of the stuff he gave me that I am hoping to use as a basic cockpit setup

Epson 420 short throw projector x1

Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop (i3-4130, 8gb ddr3 ram) x2

Dell 19" E1912H monitors x6

GTX 570HD x1

GTX 560 x2

I also have my current gaming rig that I am also planning to use in the build. Its specs are as follows

I7-4790k cpu

24gb DDR3 1600mhz ram

GTX 960 4gb GPU (I am in the process of saving up money to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080)

1tb 7200rpm HDD

600w EVGA psu

Gigabyte mobo (I dont remember the exact model off the top of my head)

Now with all of that out of the way here are my questions. Keep in mind that P3D V4 is the flight sim I intend to use.

1. Given the list of equipment I have just listed is it possible to make a decent multi monitor cockpit using the projector for a forward view, 2 monitors as side window views, and the rest of the monitors for instrument panels?

2. Is my gaming rig sufficient enough to run all of this? If so can you give tell me the best settings that would give me the best performance and graphics for this hardware.

3. If my gaming rig is not sufficient enough to run all of this then would it be possible to incorporate the 2 Dell desktops into the build? If so can you please point me to a tutorial on how to make a multi computer cockpit for P3D V4?

Thank you in advance for any advise you can offer me, and please keep in mind that this is all new to me so please dont assume that I have any clue as to what you are talking about. Explain things to me as if you were explaining them to a small child ;)

Archived