Flying with FMC Logistics

beroun

Hi,

Have installed FMCs to some of my jets (way overdue) and used the guide to program these. Quite straight forward to program but what I am missing is its use in the actual flight. How does it interface with Autopilot?

Normally when flying flight plan without FMC, I simply follow ATC and adjust AP altitudes and heading as directed and line up for landing, contact Tower and land (adjusting speeds ..Autothrottle or manually...since I do not get this from ATC).

What I probably need is an idiots guide on how to fly with FMC.

I know how to program it (after loading the Flight Plan)

BUT! then, at which point do I trigger AP to follow the FMC loaded plan?

How do I handle the AP/FMC interface?

Do I need to adjust AP headings and altitudes, since these are programmed in FMC or does FMC triggers these in AP?

Did lot of tests without any success.

Probably trivia for some but any knowhow would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Well, which FMC software did you install?

An FMC will bank and pitch the plane as well as adjust speed. It's a computer interface with the AP after all. To have the plane bank and pitch according to the flight plan you have programmed into the FMC you need the LNAV (Lateral Navigation) and a VNAV (Vertical Navigation) buttons in your plane.

There's far too much to cover about the proper use of an FMC. You might want to check out the PMDG 737. Though, I'm not sure where you can buy it for FS2004 now. If you can get it, it does have a fairly nice manual.

There's far too much to cover about the proper use of an FMC. You might want to check out the PMDG 737. Though, I'm not sure where you can buy it for FS2004 now. If you can get it, it does have a fairly nice manual.

Or the iFly 737. I went from freeware planes with no FMC to the iFly. The progression to get to a point you can use a good payware aircraft in some way in FS is not difficult. Learning all aspects of how to fly the aircraft as close to real life as possible is another thing altogether and requires time. I'm not at that stage yet, too busy still exploring FS add-ons, playing around with stuff. Eventually, I'll really look to improve my knowledge of flying and replicating real flight of a 737.

Flight simming is something you can just never tire of if you really want to have extensive knowledge in many different areas.

If I knew all this early on I would've realized there is no time for a wife. I went and did that though and now it costs my flight simming. lol

Mark Daniels

Hi,

Have installed FMCs to some of my jets (way overdue) and used the guide to program these. Quite straight forward to program but what I am missing is its use in the actual flight. How does it interface with Autopilot?

Normally when flying flight plan without FMC, I simply follow ATC and adjust AP altitudes and heading as directed and line up for landing, contact Tower and land (adjusting speeds ..Autothrottle or manually...since I do not get this from ATC).

What I probably need is an idiots guide on how to fly with FMC.

I know how to program it (after loading the Flight Plan)

BUT! then, at which point do I trigger AP to follow the FMC loaded plan?

How do I handle the AP/FMC interface?

Do I need to adjust AP headings and altitudes, since these are programmed in FMC or does FMC triggers these in AP?

Did lot of tests without any success.

Probably trivia for some but any knowhow would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Peter, I've installed Eric Marciano's EasyFMC into a lot of my planes and I use it in the same way as the default Garmin GPS. The FS flightplan is already loaded when the sim launches, and I just enter the cruise and transition altitudes (which vary a lot here in Europe) and prepare the rest of panel for startup and taxi. On initial climb I switch the NAV/GPS to GPS and switch the Autopilot on at 1500ft AGL, then manually enter the altitude given by Radar Contact ATC. ATC's altitudes always take priority over the FMC VNav programming anyway, so I don't bother programming it in. The FMC LNav works exactly the same as the GPS, automatically following each waypoint on the flightplan.

For payware aircraft FMC's, you'll need to enter a lot more data to get the best out of the FMC, especially if the plane has autoland and you want to use it. Zero fuel weight, fuel load, cargo and passenger weights must all be entered correctly or your landing will be nothing more than a Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT)!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tim,

I will probably stick to the default GPS. It works quite well with ATC and after making 1000s of flights I am used to it. The FMC was just a try to add more realism and to step "out of the box". I will most likely return to it at some point and give it a shot.

One question I have is on the speeds. I can see that these can be programmed to FMC at different altitudes. Does engaging the auto-throttle matches the speeds programmed in FMC?

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

One question I have is on the speeds. I can see that these can be programmed to FMC at different altitudes. Does engaging the auto-throttle matches the speeds programmed in FMC?

Yes it does, although the FMC speeds should be regarded as limits, i.e. no faster than X kts. You might find with some models that they'll exceed those limits on descent, and you need to set them proportionately lower to account for the excess.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes it does, although the FMC speeds should be regarded as limits, i.e. no faster than X kts. You might find with some models that they'll exceed those limits on descent, and you need to set them proportionately lower to account for the excess.

When I flew the PMDG 737 in FS2004 the ND would say something like add air brakes or something while I was on descent.

I guess if you have to be withen certain speed limits on your STAR, then subtracting about 10 or so knots from its maximum allowed would be beneficial.

Archived