SSD Hybrid Drive versus SSD

Wildthing

Folks, my regular spin drive (Drive D:) is starting to go through the death throes. It is also getting too small for Prepar3d and my other games. I have been looking at Hard Drives. I have been looking at one of these Hybrid Drives since it will give me enough breathing room once my install gets too large:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822178996

What do you guys think of these? Is it better to go all out and get a smaller sized SSD?

A hybrid drive caches the most frequently accessed files so they will load faster next time. Due to the size of the P3D files (especially scenery) this will give you no advantage. You will not notice any difference as far P3D is concerned.

If you have the $$$, go for a real SSD. Or better still, if your motherboard has m.2 slots, go for a nvme drive like eg. the Samsung 970 series. They are up to 6 times faster than a normal SSD.

A hybrid drive caches the ....

If you have the $$$, go for a real SSD. Or better still, if your motherboard has m.2 slots, go for a nvme drive like eg. the Samsung 970 series. They are up to 6 times faster than a normal SSD.

Nice info. Thank u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy a platter. You won't notice much in speed. I'd recommenced an enterprise Hitachi.

The thing with HDD that are hybrids is that if you don't have a UPS and your computer crashes or the power goes out you'll have data corruption.

The ideal configuration is to have a SSD of at least 256 GB and a 1 to 2 TB platter as spill over. SO with heavy scenery, etc, you can install that to the platter. You'd also dump your docs, music, downloads, pictures, videos, etc to the platter.

Always clone you drives! That means the system drive and the second drive. I use AOMEI Backupper for that.

Let me reiterate what I said about not noticing a difference in speed. With SATA III it's pretty fast. In theory about 600 MB/S. With a SSD they are a lot faster, but if your application is not really hard drive intensive you'll won't notice much of a speed difference at all.

Remember, if you go down that route the platter WILL need defragging...

Lot of people ignore that requirement since the recent focus on SSD's, which should not be defragged, ever.

Any P3D installation should be defragged using the `Defrag & Prioritize` method - although the basic Windows defrag is better than nothing.

... go for a nvme drive like eg. the Samsung 970 series. They are up to 6 times faster than a normal SSD.

Is that claim based on any benchmarks or just published specs? I've been running M.2 drives on multiple i7-based desktops, and my own i5 laptop, all Windows 10 64-bit. Six times faster? Uh, not yet, not during routine tasks and data copying, not seeing such an incredible boost with small or large data transfers in Win10-64. I doubt the average user could easily determine if a pc had an M.2 drive inside or a SATA SSD, at least not with today's M.2 drives. Better performance, better drivers, etc., to come in the future, maybe? Six times faster sounds impressive, but I'm not seeing it. Not today, anyway.

Is that claim based on any benchmarks or just published specs? I've been running M.2 drives on multiple i7-based desktops, and my own i5 laptop, all Windows 10 64-bit. Six times faster? Uh, not yet, not during routine tasks and data copying, not seeing such an incredible boost with small or large data transfers in Win10-64. I doubt the average user could easily determine if a pc had an M.2 drive inside or a SATA SSD, at least not with today's M.2 drives. Better performance, better drivers, etc., to come in the future, maybe? Six times faster sounds impressive, but I'm not seeing it. Not today, anyway.

Completely agree. NVMe only starts making sense for highly I/O intensive workloads like a database server. Remember that M.2 is a form factor, you can get M.2 SATA drives that are no faster (but cheaper). Accessing 2.5" drives in my case is a pain so I opted for an M.2 drive for convenience, not performance.

Hybrid drives, for the original poster, are a dying/dead technology. 1TB and 2TB SSDs are cheap, just get one of those.

Cheers!

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
i also want to say something here so just let me post my shaort and clear oppinion on that. I am running my p3dv4 (as well as my RETRO p3dv3) on a SEagate Firecuda 2 TB HDD. My Windows 10 is on a SSD. For me thats the best setup. Because the only thing an SSD will give u is a faster loading time . and i can use that loading time to grab a coffe (or something else) A good SSHD like the mentioned Seagate Firecuda is a solid platfor for p3dv4 v4 and all games u wanna game. An SSD is for those who ( maybe prepare their coffe before firing up their sim or the ones with really MONEY. :) :) GO for SSHD or even HDD u will be fine.

i also want to say something here so just let me post my shaort and clear oppinion on that. I am running my p3dv4 (as well as my RETRO p3dv3) on a SEagate Firecuda 2 TB HDD. My Windows 10 is on a SSD. For me thats the best setup. Because the only thing an SSD will give u is a faster loading time . and i can use that loading time to grab a coffe (or something else) A good SSHD like the mentioned Seagate Firecuda is a solid platfor for p3dv4 v4 and all games u wanna game. An SSD is for those who ( maybe prepare their coffe before firing up their sim or the ones with really MONEY. :) :) GO for SSHD or even HDD u will be fine.

No, it won't...

Archived