Removing FSX.CFG?

Mac6737

From time to time, I have seen grizzled veterans on this and other forums say that if you remove the fsx.cfg file from your FSX folder and then start up FSX, the program will build you a new one! This is said to fix the source of many errors, crashes, glitches, etc.

1. Is this really a good idea?

2. Are there any risks? ("If something can go wrong, it will go wrong." -- Murphy's Law)

3. I've never quite understood the .cfg file. Does it reflect where you've put all your sliders? If you remove your .cfg (and stash it elsewhere, like Desktop), will FSX build one that moves all your sliders back to the defaults?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

1. Yes! It is usually the first thing to try when troubleshooting a major crisis or problem. (P.S. the FSX.cfg is not in your FSX folder)

2. No major risks if you remove your current .cfg to a safe place or rename it to something like FSX_orig.cfg It will then remain, safely, in place but a new .cfg will be made when the Sim is restarted.

3. It does reflect where your sliders are and when rebuilt, you will be like you first installed FSX. It should not harm any addons like aircraft or scenery, but they may not be usable with the new FSX.CFG.

Keep in mid that creating a new FSX.CFG is used for verifying where your problem lies.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you have made any tweaks, modifications or additions to the CFG file, you may want to include them back into the "re-built" CFG file. Of course, Beware! Any of those modifications my have caused your problems. First see if the new one works to your satisfaction, then perhaps add any tweaks back one by one?

Just one more point for clarification: When you exit FSX it overwrites the FSX.cfg file with whatever the values are in its memory, so changes that you want to take effect must be done with FSX not running. Remove the fsx.cfg file and FSX reverts to default values then will save those to the fsx.cfg when it exits, IF you make no config changes while the sim is running. Any config changes you make when running are save in place of the default when FSX exits.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

From time to time, I have seen grizzled veterans on this and other forums say that if you remove the fsx.cfg file from your FSX folder and then start up FSX, the program will build you a new one! This is said to fix the source of many errors, crashes, glitches, etc.

1. Is this really a good idea?

2. Are there any risks? ("If something can go wrong, it will go wrong." -- Murphy's Law)

3. I've never quite understood the .cfg file. Does it reflect where you've put all your sliders? If you remove your .cfg (and stash it elsewhere, like Desktop), will FSX build one that moves all your sliders back to the defaults?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

Grizzled veterans?

I use the following steps:

-close fsx

--open:

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

-Rename the fsx.cfg file to something with todays date at the start and a description. (to have as backup). For example:

"FSX - 190206 - test for forum user.cfg"

Then also go to:

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

Copy the controls.xml file.

Rename the copy of the controls.xml file to something with the date at the start and a description. For example:

"controls - 190206 - test for forum user.xml"

(Also as backup. The controls.xml gets overwritten when a new fsx.cfg file is built.)

Start fsx.

A new fsx.cfg file will be created.

Close FSX.

Go to:

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls.

Delete the (new) controls.xml file.

Copy file:

"controls - 190206 - test for forum user.xml"

And rename the copy to:

controls.xml

Next time you start FSX you will have all your old control assignments again.

Happy Flights!:D

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived