Using older computer

I'm trying to set up a basic flight simulator so I can practice IFR procedures at home. Before I start loading and experimenting with various s/w packages that are supposed to work I thought I'd ask the experts.

I have an older computer which is basically whipped. It consists of:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.40 GHZ

3.50 RAM

32 Bit x64 based processor

NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE video processor

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

As Robin has pointed out your rig will struggle to run the more modern offerings such as P3D and X-Plane.

But as Charlie (AKA Mr Zippy) has pointed out you can run FSX on a low powered rig....

All too often you get responses that you must have a high powered rig to run FSX. Yes, FSX is a CPU intensive program but, with some testing of settings, it is easy to get a reasonable and enjoyable performance on low powered rigs.

For piece of mind you can buy the Steam version of FSX (called FSX-SE) and give it a try - Steam offer a refund system but it is very rigid so make sure that you read up on the refund policy before buying.

Regards

Brian

No problem with Windows 8.1.

I ran my Sim for many years on that.

You just might have to install the Sim into the C:/ drive instead of its default install spot. If you will be using FS3004, there is a 9.1 update, and a nocd patch.

By the way, what will be your preferred aircraft to do your IFR stuff, and where?

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

My wife and I have a Grumman Tiger. I have a Garmin 430 non-wass and a MAC1700 VOR for IFR work. (the Garmin allowed me to remove a MK-12D with ILS, ADF and DME.) Of course the audio panel has marker beacons though their used less and less. I also fly with an iPad with IFLYGPS loaded. I'm not sure but I think the Flight Sim will force me into a Cessna. I'll use the 172 as my Tiger isn't equipped with a variable pitch prop. I don't know if I can sim a Garmin 430 but I've got the Garmin 430 trainer on the same computer so the training aspect is all good for that. This will allow me to sort of keep up on VOR approaches and maybe even an ADF (goin' old school - though they're still in Canada a lot and I'm told in S. America.)

Archived