FS9.cfg gets replaced for no reason

hjwalter

Hi Guys,

For quite some years now I've been using the fantastic Abacus EZ object placement program with great success for enhancing many of my more barren looking airports/airfields. Not for any form of accuracy but only for enhancing their general more congested looks and feel. For this activity it remains necessary to use the slew keys on my keyboard very extensively.

However, increasingly these slew keys suddenly no longer work because, after much head scratching and searching, I find every time again that my FS9.cfg file has, for no apparant reason, suddenly been replaced by a default one during my normal object positioning activities. No error messages, no CTDs, no restarts, no nothing.

Luckily I have quite some backups of my correctly working FS9.cfg file stashed away in different safe places, so that a simple delete, followed by a copy and paste operation, brings everything back to normal, so that I can continue with my enhancement activities.

Ideas anyone, about why my existing correctly working FS9.cfg file suddenly and for no apparant reason, gets replaced by a default one ?

Any reactions will be greatly appreciated.

Hans

Guest Sascha66
On exit, FS2004 overwrites many changed settings with the default ones. Maybe this is what you are experiencing? I have a batch file which copies my modded cfg into the default location from another directory, overwriting the default config with each start.

Windows 10 did that to me for 5 months before I saw sense and went back to Windows 7.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I know that I have saw changes made to my FSX.cfg every time I close the Sim, but in large part most settings stick. I'm not too sure about the slew settings though. I also know that if you have custom settings in your cfg file and then change anything in your FS settings, things can revert.

I also know that if you have custom settings in your cfg file and then change anything in your FS settings, things can revert.

I think that's the key to what's happening in this instance.

I think the OP's solution, as much of a PITA it may be, is going to be the best choice for him.

But heck, I could be wrong...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks guys for all your reactions but my slew keys suddenly and unexpectedly no longer work during normal object placement activities in my still running FS9. It is definitely not a problem found directly after any exit/restart.

I'm using the original DVD Win7 64 bit and and my dedicated FS9 machine has never been connected to the internet. Therefore no updates or automatic upgrade to Win10.

It is of cause possible that other keys on my wireless keyboard no longer work either but because the slew ones are used extensively during my object placements, those are the first ones which I notice as no longer working.

O.K.guys, it's not a really serious problem but it does remain extremely irritating that I increasingly need to exit my FS9, to replace the fs9.cfg and to then restart again, while keeping my fingers crossed that I can then continue without the same issue quickly happening again.

Very strange issue indeed, so please keep your comments coming.

Thanks and regards

Hans

So something which is attempting to access FS9.cfg is being blocked by something else which is leaving FS9.cfg corrupted.

My guess is that it's Abacus EZ Object Placer attempting to access FS9.cfg, and either your Antivirus or UAC is blocking it.

It may be worth checking that FS2004 and Abacus EZ Object Placer are on your Antivirus whitelist or allowed programs list, and that you have full administrator permissions in both programs.

For those who don't know how to do that, it's explained with pictures here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived