Note To Self

andyjohnston

Oh yea, the landing gear. :rolleyes: I frequently fly online and sometimes when in group flights when someone is watching my landing, I'll forget to lower the gear and will show off a fantastic belly landing. Doh! I just usually will blame it on lack of sleep :)

Slow down, CHECK!

Lower Flaps, CHECK!

Ok, here we go. I feel like I'm forgetting som...OOOOFFFF :confused:

That's right, LOWER GEAR! Darn memory of mine...;) :p

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

G.U.M.P

Gas, Undercarriage (landing gear), Mixture, and Propeller

I started with that one, which is simple and applies almost universally, but later morphed it to GUMPFS (Flaps, Safety=seat belts, doors, etc.)

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If I had any common sense, I would have a handy checklist at hand. Since I don't, (have a checklist handy) what were you thinking? I usually say to myself...."self, ya got the wheels down fer crying out loud"?:rolleyes::D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I was in Osan, Korea, long ago. I got sent back to Iwakuni early, at my request. A desperate, frantic, request. I had shacked up with an Air Force AP. Blonde, well endowed...

Anywho, I made a run when she asked me what color wedding dress she should wear. Would have been complicated, as I was already married. I got a lift on the regularly scheduled C-130 to Iwakuni. We pulled up to the hold-short, waiting for a C-12 who was doing bounces, to get out of the way so we could take off. I was sitting up front, by the ladder up to the cockpit. Even had a nice window! RHIP, after all.

Suddenly, I hear the pilot yelling "WHEELS!!" over and over. I looked out just in time to see the C-12 settle gracefully down, right on it's belly.

We turned around, and I got to spend a lovely night in the Osan Terminal building. Almost as big as an out-house. They wouldn't let me out, or anyone else on that flight, for that matter, since we had already gone through Customs.

Thank goodness the C-130 got out no problem the next day. I heard from some of the fellows in our tent in Osan (yes, the AF made us set up a tent city on the far side of the, really nice, golf course) that my AP was really mad, and searching hard for me!

Anywho, there's my "real-life" wheels-up landing story.

Not to mention a very close call!

Now, I am very careful with the gear. I keep hearing that C-130 pilot yelling "WHEELS!!" in my head.

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

What no "wheels watch" in the tower?:eek:

I guess the C-130 pilot was the duty wheels watch for the C-12. Heck, we had to sit there waiting for him anyway :D

You are "The Man," Pat. All these women keep surfacing out of your past. WOW! I hope your wife doesn't have access to your computer files. She would have some very interesting reading!

Rick

Rick, I have a problem with women. For some reason, especially well endowed blonde MP types. I just have to hit on them. It's like a reflex. Don't ask me HOW I succeed! :confused:

Although the last one actually hit on me, if you can believe it. She stuffed a piece of raisin toast in my ear as I was eating midrats one night with my friends. I have NO idea why. I wasn't going to tell her no, though :D :D

Oh, believe me, my lovely wife knows all about the past peccadillos I've had. She just smiles and says "Yeah, but now he goes to sleep with me! They all loose, HA!"

Have fun, all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Put the gear down before landing...

OMG, that made me laugh... hard. :D

(Thank you, Andy. I needed that.)

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

I like your wife's outlook on the situation. Mine has a jealous steak and will not accept the fact that I had women in my life prior to her arrival! But, hey, I just turn my already deaf ear to it. I know what memories I have, and, I too can smile about them! %%% To myself, that is!! %%%

Pat, one of my employment stops in my life was an Asst Mgr job in a Liquor Store. One night my wife had brought me dinner., and one of my regular customer's walked up to the register, and, I asked him in front of my wife, "In your opinion, do you feel that blondes have more fun? He hesitated for quite some time, looking for an answer that wouldn't be offensive to my wife, and he replied, "Well, I suppose maybe, but I will say, that just make the brunettes and redheads work just that must harder!" Oh you should have seen the face on my wife, If looks could kill!

Thanks Pat!

Rick :cool:

So what do they do when a plane lands on its belly? Use a crane?

Yup! They either use a crane, and pick the plane up entire, then drop the gear and tow it back to the hagar, or use the crane to tip it up so they can get the jacks under it, then drop the gear and tow it back. Obviously, on some planes they need hydraulic power, and there are hyd carts they can tow out to power up the plane to lower the gear, or external electrical power to power the gear.

Even the really big planes can be craned up, or at least hoisted to where they can get a jack or five under it. They jack planes up in the hangar to do certain inspection, which require lowering and raising the gear. Annuals, quarterlies, like that.

Drop that gear!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived