Just What Is Orbx Global Base?

LTCSZ

I am considering taking the jump into Orbx sceneries for my P3d V4.4...Apparently Global Base is required for all Orbx scenery...Just what does it do, exactly? Almost $100 is a pile of money for me...If I purchase Global Base, will I see any immediate difference in P3d? Is Global Base compatible with Ultimate Terrain or will I have to delete UTX before installing Global Base? I find the Orbx web site a bit confusing as to just where to start, so any advice will be appreciated! Thanks a lot...

Global base will transform what you see on the ground in terms of landclass and foliage. Yes, it will be a major difference. Though, I don't think it's worth a $100. Maybe $50 would be more reasonable. I have ORBX base in FSX, and when I reinstalled FSX and flew without base I was like, "this looks like crap." Installed ORBX base and everything was a lot better. There is even a lights improvement.

I don't use UTX, but I think I read people do use it with ORBX base. Isn't UTX mainly landclass? If so, then ORBX base will have no trouble at all with UTX. In fact, it would probably improve upon it.

I am considering taking the jump into Orbx sceneries for my P3d V4.4...Apparently Global Base is required for all Orbx scenery...Just what does it do, exactly? Almost $100 is a pile of money for me...If I purchase Global Base, will I see any immediate difference in P3d? Is Global Base compatible with Ultimate Terrain or will I have to delete UTX before installing Global Base? I find the Orbx web site a bit confusing as to just where to start, so any advice will be appreciated! Thanks a lot...

If you think its a chunk of change make sure you understand ALL the implications for ORBX of not just Global Base but also Vector and open LC...

Global Base is `just textures and autogen` - BUT the installation also changes how the sim reads other files and so it's NOT compatible with Ultimate Terrain. That said, you CAN make ORBX and UT work together but normally it's one or the other, not both.

As you have UTX why blow a hundred bucks?

Global Base is installed via a GUI called FTX Central that also re-writes the other files as part of the installation routine - merging the lclookup files is integrated with the install and it is this that causes the mismatch with UTX, and is not optional.

Finally, re-read the ORBX pages: FTX Global Base is a hundred bucks AUSTRALIAN, not 100 dollars US.

At time of writing it's about 1.39 Oz Dollars to the US dollar so about 72 US dollars for Global Base...

Global base isn't necessary for the ORBX regional sceneries, such as Northern California or Pacific Northwest, and it's not necessary for most (all?) airport sceneries within an ORBX region that you have already installed, but it's needed for most anything else. And Global Base sets you up for all the free airports (check ORBX site for free airport packages) to work correctly

I have UTX installed along with Global Base and all the North American regions, plus a few of their paid airports and all their free North American airports, and UTX works fine, though you may have to do selective choices of certain landclass pieces. Note that Global Base works throughout the world, where UTX is only in North America, maybe not all of that depending on which package(s) you have.

I also have Vectors and there are some potential conflicts with UTX, but I've selectively disabled parts of UTX to get the best of both worlds. I also find that in Alaska (I have UTX there) UTX gives me scenery better than default when I'm outside of the Southern Alaska ORBX regional scenery, even in the Aleutians.

If I purchase Global Base, will I see any immediate difference in P3d?

Yes, the world will look better, as CRJ indicates, but the airports aren't transformed, and miscellaneous odds and ends that show up away from airports in the regions won't appear.

Personally, I'd suggest you install the ORBX PNW trial (full function but relatively small area) to get an idea what the regional sceneries are like, since within its coverage it adds all the airport improvements and other great pieces (look for occasional farm implements in farm fields, for example). The differences in the landscape (other than mesh) that you see in the regional are basically what you'll see in Base. There are a couple of other demo areas, too, Iceland and Tasmania, if I recall correctly.

I've gotten all these pieces over a period of several years, and mostly I'm reluctant to fly in areas that aren't covered by the regionals, though the Global Base and Vectors help quite a bit in these other areas, so I don't avoid them completely. Since I regularly fly with a friend, we've coordinated the purchase of these pieces over the years so that we're both seeing the same thing, and when we're flying in (often loose) formation at low levels, we'll often ooh and ahh together as we see something particularly nice. Some places, at a distance especially, look almost photographic, and in a snapshot it'd be tough to tell that they were computerized images.

So there's lots to pick and choose from, and the demo areas let you dive right in and explore with no expense.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Global base is not a requirement for other ORBX sceneries.

It will work just fine with UTX but I would recommend getting GEDP3D instead of Global - UTX and GEP3D were designed to work together.

GEP3D works with Orbx regions also.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Not much use if the OP is `taking the jump into ORBX sceneries`though... ORBX sceneries STILL require the FTX library files.

And? I also run GEP3D and UTX but I also have all the ORBX areas. Other than ORBX replacing core sim files ( which can cause strange things in certain areas) they all work fine together.

Global and Vector are the two biggest problems - much bigger fps hits with those enabled.

Personally, I prefer the GEP3D textures to Global.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Be very careful.....when you start down this road, going back is virtually impossible....

Archived