I can't get my 747 off the ground on takeoff from Boeing Field, Seattle, WA. Need he

KrayCott AirCo

I have all of my desired numbers (speed, altitude, Vertical speed, plus I forget what any others are, but I think I have them set for takeoff) and my plane goes nose up at 100 kts, and tail hits ground at 120 kts, but does not leave the ground. the plane stalls at 120 kts, and crashes into structures at end of runway. I think my altimeter is set to 29.92 (Seattle), and flaps at zero. I have also had flaps at 40 without success. Also my engines gauges go into red at 120 kts. I am stumped. What am I doing wrong, if anything ? (I obviously must be doing something wrong, especially if other simmers do not have, or have found ways to compensate for, this problem)

Also please enlighten me - what position is the autothrottle switch supposed to be at takeoff ? I have a choice of on or off.

Thank you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At 120kts you're at less than the 747's stall speed. Your autothrottle should be off and flaps 10. Manually move your throttles to full and rotate at 150-160kts.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

+1 on what Tim said above. If you are going to be flying these jetliners, or any aircraft for that matter, get into the habit of using checklists! They will definitely help keep you out of trouble! Here is a site that I use for many of the jetliners in have in my inventory!

The checklist for the Boeing 747-400 says rotate airspeed of 175 KIAS which is a little higher than what Tim mentioned. 160 KIAS is a good airspeed, but the 175 gives you a little more "wiggle room!"

http://freechecklists.net/simchecklists.asp

See attached pic of a B747-400. Please excuse my wide paint brush! In addition to what Tim says, I also like to roll back the trim wheel to "9" which will also help you get that bird in the air! Just takes a lot of practice to get it right. But, DON'T FORGET YOUR CHECKLISTS!

2019-1-26_14-34-59-923.jpg

Happy flying - Rick

Are we talking default 747? Do you have any info programmed into the A/P or A/T? The switches can be on (But not a good idea) if you don't push the engage buttons. Flaps at least 5 degrees or 10 and N1 around 92-95% for take off at 140-145 knots. You may need some elevator trim (as mentioned).

Are you starting out from a "saved" flight or using your default flight to start things off? The reason I ask this is because if you have been screwing around with engine, prop, or mixture settings from other aircraft in your default flight, these will, in turn , affect jet engines on your next flight.

I can get a 747/A380 off a 5000 foot runway without breaking a sweat;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You are on your way, but more studying is needed. Some of your explaining in your posts is a a good example of what I mean. It is not easy using the keyboard to fly, but if you have to, you should have a working knowledge of the keys. You are partially correct in saying that F4 is your throttle,but you must consider also F3 and F2. F4 - Full throttle. F3 - Increase throttle. F2 - Decrease Throttle. Hold F2 you will activate reversers. Also, have some understanding of the requirements for a successful take off (weight, trim, flaps, N1, etc.).

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I flightsim other aircraft, mostly C172 and Lear 45, and B747 is the only one that I cannot get off the ground. Obviously I am not a real-world pilot, but I am definitely interested in simming, just like 'real-worlders' do. Something was said here about weight and balance being out of tolerance. Is there a way that I can make good weight and balance settings on FS X ? Especially for the B747 ? Just wondering.

Re - throttle controls, I meant to say I have to use F4 to get max power, and then my engine gauges go red at 75 kts. Thank you for clarifying F1, F2, and F3 for me.

For a simplified solution, you should go to the menu bar and click on aircraft and select fuel and payload, Check the "select fuel quantity as weight" and then click change fuel. In the first column make everything to 50%.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

KrayCott (sorry, you didn't give us a first name) have you messed with any of the aircraft.cfg files for the 747? I am only asking because none of us are getting the whole story about your knowledge of the 747. You say engines going to red at 75 KIAS as if that is like a "Scarlet Letter?" All that is, the engine gauge N1 is telling you is the engines are spooled up to red at the point you reach 75 KIAS, there is no correlation between the red and the airspeed. The red means you have gone beyond 100% NI. N1 may stay red well beyond 75 KIAS because you have another 85-95 more airspeed to go before the aircraft is ready to fly for you!

You say you know the importance of checklists, but, are you using one? If not, how do you know when the aircraft is ready to fly? Couple questions which may sound silly but here we go................

Have you released the parking brake?

Do you have the Autobrake set to RTO, and not some other setting?

Lot of tires on the 747, do they all appear to be above the asphalt, and appear to have air in them?

You say you fly the Lear 45, is that without any issues? Have you tried the default Boeing 737-800 to see if that is without issues? If we don't know what your technique is in trying to fly the 747, how can we know what you are doing wrong? Do you know how to create screen shots of the 747 panel when you are set up to start the takeoff roll? The old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words!" None of us can arrive at an explanation of why your aircraft is not cooperating, unless we have more details and preferably some pics of your technique! I for one, can't help without more information. There are plenty of people on here willing to help, but they can't help either without more information.

Another thing, the weight and balance may be off a bit if you haven't messed with the aircraft.cfg files.

You can't get the aircraft off the runway in it's "default state", you are a long way away from being able to start making changes to weight and balance!

One more pic from me showing a default 747-400 aircraft at Boeing field, RWY 31L which is just a couple of feet shy of a 10,000' runway. The panel on my aircraft is in the "ready to roll" state. Look at it closely to see if your panel at takeoff resembles mine.

2019-1-26_21-9-51-343.jpg

I said "Ready to Roll," but that isn't true until I release the parking brake! I set that to take the pic!

Anyway, good luck with the 747! A little to a lot more information might help us, but until that happens, it might be something that you have to "whittle away at!" Some of us know a little, some know a lot, but none of us are "miracle workers!"

Good luck with finding an answer! Rick :cool:

Oh, throttle management. On takeoff roll you want to "spool up" N1 to about 60%, then come in with the rest of the power, some like the 92-93% N1, others (myself included) come in with F4 100% + N1, and then sit back and watch the airspeed climb. Once you get to about 140-150 KIAS, the rest happens very quickly getting to the 165 - 175 KIAS rotate speed. Other than that, I can't offer any other suggestions!

Good luck - Rick :cool:

Okay, tried the 747 again at your field, Boeing. I spooled up the engines to around 60%. then clicked F4 for 100% N1, and sure enough, like your aircraft showed, the N1 displayed RED at around 70-75 KIAS, and stayed red until I achieved a rotation speed for takeoff. See my pic below, airspeed went well beyond what was actually needed, looks like around 178 KIAS, but I was trying to watch the airspeed and take the pic at the same time!

2019-1-27_7-35-12-811.jpg

Your 747 should do the same as any of our 747's do. If it doesn't something is not set the way it should be. Only you can help any one of us find what is going wrong by providing pictures, like I have of my 747!

I do apologize to you if I come across as being short or a little rough with you! My intent is not to do so. I know it is frustrating for you, as you want answers to getting your 747 to fly. We would like for you to accomplish that also. You just need to provide us with pics. Oh, and on a lighter note, for me, learning how to post pics on this site was harder than getting the 747 to fly! But you will figure that out soon enough!

Good luck! Rick :cool:

I don't believe in this whole post (unless I missed it) you give the source of the 747: Default, freeware, or payware? Did you download it? If so, can you give us the exact file name: I'm curious why this info was not provided...

>>>Sorry - you did say it was the default...

My Given name is Ken or Kenneth -(your choice) - and my current situation is that of an elderly retired gentleman, on a fixed limited income, who was employed as an aircraft mechanic for almost 15 years, but have been out of the business for health/medical reasons that long again. I was in the 'nuts and bolts' section, with absolutely no connection to the computer operations technology.

Alright, I admit that I am seriously technically unskilled in (A) computers operation in general and (B) Flight Sim X in particular. I have read up on what I thought I could about posting pictures, and I press the V key, and I try, but all I get is one or more BMP's which the uploader classifies as an invalid file. I am aware that this is not the place to discuss computers, so I won't further, except to say that I understand I almost have to be able to upload a picture of my given FS X operational condition before it can be discussed to a positive outcome. So the first thing I have to learn is how to take and upload pictures.

But thank you each for trying to help my with my FS X problems.

My Given name is Ken or Kenneth -(your choice) - and my current situation is that of an elderly retired gentleman, on a fixed limited income, who was employed as an aircraft mechanic for almost 15 years, but have been out of the business for health/medical reasons that long again. I was in the 'nuts and bolts' section, with absolutely no connection to the computer operations technology.

Alright, I admit that I am seriously technically unskilled in (A) computers operation in general and (B) Flight Sim X in particular. I have read up on what I thought I could about posting pictures, and I press the V key, and I try, but all I get is one or more BMP's which the uploader classifies as an invalid file. I am aware that this is not the place to discuss computers, so I won't further, except to say that I understand I almost have to be able to upload a picture of my given FS X operational condition before it can be discussed to a positive outcome. So the first thing I have to learn is how to take and upload pictures.

But thank you each for trying to help my with my FS X problems.

Use Microsoft Paint to change the .bmp to a .JPEG file for uploading to the site. Sometimes if you just right-click on the .bmp picture you can rename it to .JPEG.

example: XYZ.bmp.....right-click on it and choose rename and call it XYZ.JPEG

I am using Windows 7. I obviously don't have the latest technology. I opened 'paint' menu and looked through a variety of draw-down listings, and could not find anything like 're-name' or 'reformat'. I have several BMP's that I cannot convert to JPG's to upload for posting.

But thank you each for helping me as far as you have.

I opened 'paint' menu and looked through a variety of draw-down listings, and could not find anything like 're-name' or 'reformat'.

Go to the 'File' drop-down menu, click on 'Save as' and select 'JPEG picture'.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK, maybe pictures will help????? Be sure to click on each pic to make them bigger and easier to see!

I have a .BMP image on my desktop

image rename.JPG

I right-click the mouse on it and choose rename

Rename it.JPG

This is what it looks like after I rename it

Now a JPEG image.JPG

This is the image I used.

Roamer's Rest.JPG

I seriously dislike appearing -may I say- uneducated, but on my file pull-down menu there is not a selection for 'save as'.

I am currently trying to convert BMP files (the ones I get when I press V key) to uploadable JPGs to post.

Until I can show photos of my aircraft surroundings/s, I can't very easily explain my situations in ways that people can understand.

Perhaps I can try to email my FS X photo for you to upload. I can try if you want me to.

But thank you for trying to help.

Archived