Trouble down loading add on aircraft

Peete

I'm trying to download free add on aircraft for the first time into FSX SE ( Windows 10) and being almost computer illiterate I'm having trouble.

I seem to be able to download an aircraft file to my File Explorer o.k , but get into a mess from then on despite having read various instructions.

In particular, I think that i should extract individual files from the downloaded aircraft folder into FSX, but cannot find the file for MODEL in the FSX list, so the MODEL file cannot be transferred.

I must be doing something wrong but what ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Peete.

Downloaded FSX Grumman F-140D Tomcat into Windows 10 File Explorer tom346. Right click this folder / right click Tom A340-600 to a folder I believe to contain the aircraft functions - gauges- model - panel etc .

Then I open c/----program files x86/----- FSX into which I believe I should extract the airplane function files. but i cant find the Models file in FSX to extract to. All I seem to have done is dig the hole deeper and deeper, and getting nowhere fast.

Place .zip file om desktop,

double-click .zip file,

top of window that opens click: "extract all files",

on desktop look for a folder with same name as .zip file,

open that and look for a file called "readme.txt",

open that textfile and read the install instructions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This one?????? When asked "What download?" You need to be precise!

FSX - FSX Modern Military FSX Grumman F-14D Tomcat

[ Download | View ]

Name: f14dfsxav220.zip

Size: 209,221,250 Date: 01-06-2014 Downloads: 6,904

f14dfsxav2202.gif

f14dfsxav220.gif

fbq1.giffcq1.gif FSX Grumman F-14D Tomcat for FSX Acceleration, v2.20, model build 39VRS, cockpit build 10VRS. This F-14 project is an FSX Acceleration native plane, hence Acceleration is required to make it work. It has not been tested under SP2, but, as it is using Acceleration supersonic flight dynamics may well crash FSX SP2. Apart from that, sounds, HUD and MFDs are aliased from Microsoft Hornet. Note: flight model is drastically different from previous versions. Before flying in formation, you may want to make sure all the other players have the latest F14 model. By Dino Cattaneo.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Dino's F-14 is a fantastic plane. It flies like a dream, presuming you fly it according to the included instructions.

Just so you know, there's a v2.4 out now. Go to Dino's website, IndiaFoxEcho, to download it.

It CAN be a real joy for doing Carrier ops, too. Download the upgraded HUD for it, if it doesn't have it already (I forget /blush/), Javier's Nimitz & Ike carriers, AICarriers to place them with, vLSO to critique (and boy do they ever critique!), and if you want a real fun time, the program called Pitching Deck.

Just make sure that set the wind over the deck at the correct strength and direction, and that your plane is under max landing weight.

Sorry, this is something near and dear to my heart. I usually use the FSDT FSX Blue Angels' F/A-18C for carrier ops, but the Tomcat is a real joy to do them with as well.

It is also fully TacPack integrated, so you can fly around doing very realistic bombing or A-A missions. Or a mix of the two, if you want.

Have fun with it!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Downloaded FSX Grumman F-140D Tomcat into Windows 10 File Explorer tom346. Right click this folder / right click Tom A340-600 to a folder I believe to contain the aircraft functions - gauges- model - panel etc .

Then I open c/----program files x86/----- FSX into which I believe I should extract the airplane function files. but i cant find the Models file in FSX to extract to. All I seem to have done is dig the hole deeper and deeper, and getting nowhere fast.

Based on the OP comments quoted above its no wonder that he/she is confused and getting nowhere.....

Claims to have downloaded a Grumman F14 model but seems to be referencing a folder called Tom A340-600 - this appears to reference the simobjects folder that is created if you install the Thomas Ruth A340-600 base model, the download file for which is named toma346.zip......i.e. similar to the reference tom346...….

Having installed this particular model before I know that there are very specific but complex install instructions which appear similar to what the OP is trying to describe...…..

Regards

Brian

Based on the OP comments quoted above its no wonder that he/she is confused and getting nowhere.....

Claims to have downloaded a Grumman F14 model but seems to be referencing a folder called Tom A340-600 - this appears to reference the simobjects folder that is created if you install the Thomas Ruth A340-600 base model, the download file for which is named toma346.zip......i.e. similar to the reference tom346...….

Having installed this particular model before I know that there are very specific but complex install instructions which appear similar to what the OP is trying to describe...…..

I believe you may be on to something! The Old "add all of these textures from the default A321" to make everything show in the cockpit trick! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My thanks to everybody who responded to my request for help.

I'm going through your various suggestions but not making much headway so far. As I'm 88 and attempting my first aircraft download, perhaps I'm "biting off more than i can chew" : Old dog , new tricks etc ? I'll keep trying for a while anyway.

Thank you all again.

Peete.

Archived