PMDG MD11X and Autoland Problem

dfiler

This particular payware aircraft is 10 years old and might explain why I and others are having the same problem getting the ILS coordinates correct using the Steam edition of FSX.

I think the problem is the Navigation data is out of date because when I try to use Autoland, the MD11 is off by about 20 yards. This may be one way to get me to land the thing without autopilot. If someone else has had a simular problem and found a solution, please let me know. Thanks,

Don

I think the problem is the Navigation data is out of date because when I try to use Autoland, the MD11 is off by about 20 yards. This may be one way to get me to land the thing without autopilot.

I don't think the MD11 is fully autoland capable. I am most likely mistaken, but...

Besides, the Nav data in the sim, whichever sim you're using, hasn't changed since it came out. For FSX:SE, that means the Nav data is still 12 years old. Unless you update it somehow. But you use up-to-date charts, they're 12 years off.

Having said all that, Not all ILS localizers will drop you right on the piano keys. Some are off slightly for whatever reason. And 20 yards isn't really very far. Are you hitting D just before you get on final to make sure your instruments match up with the nav data? Gyros drift.

Besides, you should be hand-flying it the last bit anyway. You rely too heavily on the automation, you'll be out of practise when the day comes that it fails. Fail it will, too, and at the worst possible moment. Case III, airport at minimums, nice crosswind...

THAT'S when it'll fail on you. If you rely on the automation too much, at that point, you and the plane full of people, are in deep doo-doo.

Or you come across an airport with an off-set localizer. You don't want to land on the freeway crossing the end of the runway, or somewhere between the runways...

Anyway. Have fun, no matter how you do it!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

This particular payware aircraft is 10 years old and might explain why I and others are having the same problem getting the ILS coordinates correct using the Steam edition of FSX.

I think the problem is the Navigation data is out of date because when I try to use Autoland, the MD11 is off by about 20 yards. This may be one way to get me to land the thing without autopilot. If someone else has had a simular problem and found a solution, please let me know. Thanks,

Don

I have experienced this issue with other airliners. Hence, I don't believe it is a problem specific to the MD-11.

I have observed that at some default and freeware airports the localizer beam is a little 'off'. So that might have you come in slightly 'off' the centerline. This is a bit rare and I can't remember where I observed this.

As you suspect, this may have something to do with NavData. And I believe it's probably due to the magnetic pole shift that happens over a period of time. Up to date NavData for add on aircraft accounts for this whereas the sim does not. So in the case of an ILS approach, it's possible that the localizer course as per the NavData (which is what the FMC will suggest you use) and what is actually used by the airport in the sim are different. This can cause you to approach at an angle. If this is indeed the case, use the localizer course of the sim rather than what you see in the FMC.

• 1 month later...
Guest seraniz
I don't think the MD11 is fully autoland capable. I am most likely mistaken, but...

Besides, the Nav data in the sim, whichever sim you're using, hasn't changed since it came out. For FSX:SE, that means the Nav data is still 12 years old. Unless you update it somehow. But you use up-to-date charts, they're 12 years off.

Having said all that, Not all ILS localizers will drop you right on the piano keys. Some are off slightly for whatever reason. And 20 yards isn't really very far. Are you hitting D just before you get on final to make sure your instruments match up with the nav data? Gyros drift.

Besides, you should be hand-flying it the last bit anyway. You rely too heavily on the automation, you'll be out of practise when the day comes that it fails. Fail it will, too, and at the worst possible moment. Case III, airport at minimums, nice crosswind...

THAT'S when it'll fail on you. If you rely on the automation too much, at that point, you and the plane full of people, are in deep doo-doo.

Or you come across an airport with an off-set localizer. You don't want to land on the freeway crossing the end of the runway, or somewhere between the runways...

Anyway. Have fun, no matter how you do it!

Pat☺

I have experienced this issue with other airliners. Hence, I don't believe it is a problem specific to the MD-11.

Archived