Airport construction question

I just noticed my local airport got new asphalt looking at newer sat imagery. Does anyone know how this is logistically accomplished? I guess they'd shut down the airport for a certain time period. What I really like to know is if they in fact say the airport is closed via AWOS?

Airport looks pretty slick now.

I just noticed my local airport got new asphalt looking at newer sat imagery. Does anyone know how this is logistically accomplished? I guess they'd shut down the airport for a certain time period. What I really like to know is if they in fact say the airport is closed via AWOS?

Airport looks pretty slick now.

This isn't quite the answer you are looking for, but here in the States I've heard Boeing Field ATIS announce closure of part of a taxiway to aircraft with a wingspan over a certain amount. I'm sure a temporarily closed airport would announce the closure via ATIS or AWOS.

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

...I've heard Boeing Field ATIS announce closure of part of a taxiway...

Unfortunately, ATIS and AWOS are two different kinds of things. ATIS is recorded by humans, but AWOS is an automatic machine that uses an artificial voice, announcing the weather observation every minute. Some things I've read seem to say that certain versions of AWOS have the capability of adding a recorded announcement to the auto broadcast, but I don't think all of them do, so it would, in that case, be dependent on whether the specific one CAN and whether anyone DID.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Unfortunately, ATIS and AWOS are two different kinds of things. ATIS is recorded by humans, but AWOS is an automatic machine that uses an artificial voice, announcing the weather observation every minute. Some things I've read seem to say that certain versions of AWOS have the capability of adding a recorded announcement to the auto broadcast, but I don't think all of them do, so it would, in that case, be dependent on whether the specific one CAN and whether anyone DID.

It appears that a manual voice message can be added:

"3.19. OPERATOR TERMINAL (OT). The OT should include a video display terminal and

keyboard, as well as a microphone and speaker that permit the manual addition of a voice

message to the end of the computer generated voice message. "

The source is FAA Advisory Circular 150/5220-16E,

Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) For Non-Federal Applications

and it is located here:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_150_5220-16E.pdf

Isn't the internet neat? I don't know how I lived without it :)

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Thanks. That's precisely the information I was looking for. I just wish I knew the airport was having work done so I could have tuned to the AWOS and hear if they said anything. They must have. I guess I could in fact pursue my interest and email the FBO and ask. LOL

Archived