Brand new desktop

rastavriend

Hi guys.

I'm about to buy a brand new desktop to run FSX on high settings. I was wondering if I made the right choice by selecting the following parts.

-intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHz turbo boost 4.9 GHz

-MSI B360M Bazooka socket 1151

-Arctic freezer 33 cpu cooler

-Corsair 16GB DDR4-2666

-MSI Geforce GTX 1070 AERO ITX 8G

-Corsair CX750M 750W feed

-Crucial MX500 500 GB SSD

I already have some payware addons like Flytampa Amsterdam and I'm gonna use FLAI ai traffic.

Regards

The components look good, EXCEPT the CPU!!!!

Now, why do I say that? Because, in FSX, the basic clock rating has to be as high as possible, the number of cores or turbo boost doesn't matter much.

The i7 9700K's base rating of 3.6 GHz is less than my i7 7700K's base rating of 4.2 GHz.

Now, of course, you can overclock your CPU, which means that it runs permanently (as opposed to turbo boost) at a higher clock rate, and I run mine at 4.8 GHz. If you do overclock, beware (really beware) that all warranty goes out the window, and you have to keep an eye on the CPU's temperature. For more insight into all of this, try googling "overclocking" or similar terms.

Jorgen

Hi rastavriend,

Notice that jorgan mentions a "K" suffix on the CPU iD, make sure whatever you buy it is a K version this will give you an unlocked multiplier for more effective overclocking. otherwise your CPU will only effectively use the stock Turbo mode on 2 cores. Unlocked multiplier CPU's are essential for Overclocking.

I would say go with the i7 7700K, and then overclock that if you feel the need to do so.

I have an Asus Z170-A motherboard, and Asus provides utilities that makes overclocking a breeze with that board.

No matter what motherboard you buy, do your homework first and look at the manufacturer's website to see how their documentation and utilities look and also what support options they have. One thing you're almost certain to want to do is upgrade the BIOS version that comes on the board you buy, so look into how that is done. Asus and several other motherboard manufacturers are located in Taiwan or other countries in the Far East, so make sure you can understand their version of English.

Jorgen

PS: Do not forget about the warranty on the CPU becoming instantly null and void if you as much as attempt to overclock! That is why I waited until the warranty on mine had nearly run out before I overclocked mine.....

Okay thanks for the advice. The problem i am buying the whole system on Alternate, but they don't sell i7 7700k CPU. I7 9700k is one of their best. I have no idea how to install components in a pc, afraid to mess up the whole system.

So is it a problem if I buy the i7 9700k or will fsx run slow with lags?

Regards

Now, I don't know where you're located, but when I look at Alternate.de (because I am in Germany), they do sell the i7 7700K...

You may want to look at all their Intel CPUs and see which one has the fastest base clock rate. If my memory doesn't completely fail me, then there was a thread not too long ago where an i5 model actually had a very fast clock rate, and price/performance-wise it was a bargain.

The seller of course wants to sell you the i7 9700K, because then they make the most money! If they cannot - or will not - show you their whole selection of possible CPUs, so you can make a comparison side-by-side, then my advice is to take your business (and your money) somewhere else.

Jorgen

The selection looks fine, and parallels my own system quite a bit!

You might want to see - if your budget allows - if this motherboard can accommodate faster RAM than the 2666 MHz, and also if you can get more than 16 GB of this faster RAM in your budget (if your OS will recognize more than 16 GB). This may not mean a lot for FSX, but if you later might want to migrate to P3D, you may find that useful.

Jorgen

Jorgen's right - there's no substitute for cubes, as they say in NASCAR, and it's the same for GHz in computer processors.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

You should definitely install Windows on a SSD. Opinions differ on the topic of installing FSX on a SSD, but here's how I have set mine up:

C: a 2 TB SSD with Windows, diverse other software and P3D v4 with its scenery and AI aircraft

D: DVD-ROM drive

E: a 1 TB SSD with photoscenery common to FSX and P3D

F: a 1 TB SSD with FSX and its AI aircraft and scenery

G: a 1 TB HDD where I download and uncompress stuff - a work drive. AIFP and a couple of other

utilities also reside here

The SSDs are all Samsung 850 EVOs, and I am very happy with them.

Jorgen

The 9700k would have been perfectly fine, and if you want to overclock it is a K sku.

Now you bought a CPU that's a Kaby and not a Coffee Lake 9th generation.

Here's some salt to go with the Internets

TGh56q7.jpg

You might wanna read what I said here:https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?314886-Pls-advice-on-upgrading-for-P3Dv4&p=2070101#post2070101

We are actually past the CPU debate, and from personal experience I can tell you that the i7 7700K is a Good Choiceâ„¢. We can discuss ad nauseam if the 9700K might have been a better choice, but as I have read it, most people in the knowledge are iffy about what multiple cores (with or without hyperthreading) will do for FSX. All agree, however, that the best thing for FSX since peanut butter is raw clock speed.

The question now was about SSDs....

Jorgen

You said you can't access the bios. That could well be fixable.

What exact mainboard model is that?

Are you using Win10?

Oh yes, also, when you try to access bios on startup (by pressing DEL.) what does happen. Simply boots into Windows? Or do you get some error message?

Let me know all that and I'll have a look.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived