Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pls advice on upgrading for P3Dv4

Thanks. I’ll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Somebody put something in my jet fuel
    Mircea

2. Default

Let me just comment on this over clocking crap as I'm really reluctant to do since I know I won't change anyone's opinion.

When you are running the Sim and a lot of other things it's not so much the clock that maters, but the architecture of the CPU. If you think that's a rather erroneous statement then consider the following: Take an old Pentium 4, 3 GHz CPU and compare its power capability to that of an i5 6600k running at 3.5 GHz. Now despite the i5 having only a meager 500 MHz faster clock, the i5 will in fact eat the Pentium 4 alive in computational processing ability strictly because of its architecture.

Believe me. I have overclocked my i5 6600K and tested the before and after frames result flying around New York since that area tends to suck the living life out of frames. With the over clock I only noticed about a 2 frame jump if that.

So I conclude that it's really not worth your time or effort to over clock. Not only are you adding more heat to the CPU, but wear and tear. Over clocking in large part is just a bragging right.

If yo truly need more computational CPU horse power, then consider a 9th generation Coffee Lake CPU.

As I already stated, your PC is pretty much fine for P3D and Aerosoft planes. I believe at this point your only limiting factor may in fact be the GPU. If P3D does utilize the GPU like games such as Red Dead Redemption, then a GTX 1070 will help greatly.

Again, upgrading your GPU requires a new PSU. Reread what I said. If you plan on going this route I'll need to check if case space won't be an issue. OEM computers are designed for their specific hardware and nothing more.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    When you are running the Sim and a lot of other things it's not so much the clock that maters, but the architecture of the CPU.
    90% correct. You can definitely compare clockspeeds within the same architecture, and generally between architectures there's a general rule of thumb that you can use to provide reasonably good approximations.

Believe me. I have overclocked my i5 6600K and tested the before and after frames result flying around New York since that area tends to suck the living life out of frames. With the over clock I only noticed about a 2 frame jump if that. So I conclude that it's really not worth your time or effort to over clock.
    Other people should be very careful making blanket assumptions out of this single data point. How much did you overclock by? Were you actually CPU or GPU limited at the time? Was a 2fps jump from 30 to 32, or was it from 10 to 12 (which would be significant)?

From my standpoint, overclocking is free performance. I have an I-9700K that stock is at 3.6Ghz, and I overclocked it to 5.0Ghz - I'll take 40% free cycles. It's not guaranteed (my previous CPU was an I-4770K that didn't go over 4.0Ghz) but it's free performance that can be unlocked with a motherboard setting or two. I'll take it.

Not only are you adding more heat to the CPU, but wear and tear. Over clocking in large part is just a bragging right.
    One of my old sim CPUs (2008-2010 era) was an Q9550, so a Yorkfield quadcore that spent its entire life overclocked from 2.83Ghz to 3.2Ghz, with questionable cooling (once or twice the heat sink came off for a few days without anyone noticing since I wasn't running the sim). Once it got replaced by a Sandy Bridge, it was given to my daughter who ran it for six or seven years in a nasty dusty case, then I repurposed it for a server I have. The heatsink contact remains questionable and it's noisy, so I've since underclocked it to 1.8Ghz since I'm too lazy to reseat the sink.

It's fine. It runs great after 10+ years of questionable treatment. Overclocking reduces CPU life - sure - from 30 or 40 years to 20 or 30. Like my Q9550, they will be obsolete long before they wear out.

I don't necessarily want to change your mind - just provide a different viewpoint.

Cheers!

Luke

Thanks for the precious imputs guys, I really appreciate the time your took to give your detailed feedback. Actually I send all info to a friend that will help me reconfigure the PC. I would't know the difference beween components unless I check the price )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Somebody put something in my jet fuel
    Mircea

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    90% correct. You can definitely compare clockspeeds within the same architecture, and generally between architectures there's a general rule of thumb that you can use to provide reasonably good approximations.
    So I can overclock a Pentium 4 to 5 GHz and compare that to an overclocked i5 6600k? Nope.

What was your frame increase?

OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

So I can overclock a Pentium 4 to 5 GHz and compare that to an overclocked i5 6600k? Nope.
    Re-read what he said. If you know the rule of thumb, you can compare the two architectures. In other words if the the i5 6xxx architecture is 1.8x faster than the Pentium 4 at the same clock speed, for example, then you can use that combined with the clock speed to compare the two. He didn't say a Pentium 4 at the same clock speed would be the same as an i5 6600K.

Take an old Pentium 4, 3 GHz CPU and compare its power capability to that of an i5 6600k running at 3.5 GHz. Now despite the i5 having only a meager 500 MHz faster clock, the i5 will in fact eat the Pentium 4 alive in computational processing ability strictly because of its architecture.
    The difference between generations is not nearly as much as you'd think. Take a look at: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._review,7.html. Look at the IPC / Single thread chart at the bottom of the page. They run each of the CPUs at the same clock speed to accurately compare single core performance. There's only about 15% difference between the single core IPC of a 9900k and a 4790k, clock for clock. Remember that FSX and P3DS are both still predominantly single thread applications. The main advantage the newer processor have is that they run at a higher clock speeds out of the box. My own experience is that overclocking gives a fairly linear increase in performance - a 15% overclock should give roughly about 15% more FPS.
    Last edited by lesh; 01-23-2019 at 01:41 PM.

8. Default

The difference between generations is not nearly as much as you'd think.
    I'm sorry, but it really is. You simply can't compare a Pentium 4 to a Skylake like I pointed out.

Now look at this chart: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

And yes, I know that FSX and P3D are single threaded. I've stated that in like ten or more posts trying to help people pick a good CPU.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 01-23-2019 at 07:49 PM.

OOM errors? Read this.

I'm sorry, but it really is. You simply can't compare a Pentium 4 to a Skylake like I pointed out.

Now look at this chart: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    But the OP doesn't have a Pentium 4, he has a 4790k and you can reasonably compare that to the most recent CPUs. The chart you linked has no information about what speeds the processors are running and yet there's still only 15% between the 4790k and the 9900k. Running them at the same clock speed (as Guru3d does) is a much more accurate indicator of relative performance. Overclock the 4790k and any sim performance difference quickly reduces. I know that it's nice to think that the latest, greatest CPUs/chipsets are all powerful but that's really only the case if you're running true multi-core capable software.

10. Default

I have seen comparisons of CPUs with the single thread capability at Andantech and there is a difference in single thread capability withen different architectures.

OOM errors? Read this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast