Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pls advice on upgrading for P3Dv4

Default Pls advice on upgrading for P3Dv4

Dear all,

I would need your kind help since I know so little bout PCs.

My current specs are
    Asus ROG G30AK-RO020D: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K 4.00GHz, Haswell™, 16GB, 1TB + 128GB SSD, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

It works fine for P3dV3 but I want to go for V4 and get good FPS at medium-to-high graphic settings.

I need to use Aerosoft A320 Proffesional wilth addon sceneries / PMGD 737 + GSX, Active Sky, probably ORBX base + TrackIR.

I was considering something in the line of Aerosoft's recommendation: an ASUS GeForce® GTX 1070 STRIX OC, 8GB GDDR5, 256-bit (although I suppose I am a bit limited by the fact that its a pre-built regadring the size of a new graphics cards). Maybe a new SSD exclusively for P3D.

Do I need more than upgrading the graphics card? What else you recommend to change?

Thanks,
    Mircea
    Somebody put something in my jet fuel
    Mircea

2. Default

I'm not that all too familiar with P3D and its capabilities unlike FSX or FS2004. I have read here that P3D does in fact utilize a graphics card more so than FSX or FS2004. So perhaps a GPU upgrade would suffice. By in large, your PC, while a bit dated would still work well for P3D I imagine. If you were to go with the latest Intel Coffee Lake 9th generation CPU, I'm betting you won't see much of a performance boost. And all in all a complete waste of money. Though, if you do have the cash to blow, go for it.

What is the make and model of your power supply (PSU) now? You may need to upgrade that in order to accommodate the power requirements of a new graphics card (GPU). Also know that if your PSU is 7 years old or older it should be replaced. And if it's a no name brand PSU that makes matters even worse. If the PSU goes out it could take the whole system with it. Good brands of PSUs are Antec, Corsair, Coolermaster and Thermaltake.

Your SSD could use some upgrading. Consider something like a 256 GB Crucial or Samsung. Many people including myself also use a platter hard drive as spill over. I have a couple 2 TB hard drives for that purpose. This is where you'd direct your browser's downloads folder, your music folder, videos, pictures and other installs not needing the speed of a SSD hard drive.

I'm not sure about Samsung, but with Crucial they have in their software a momentum cache feature which will use your RAM for faster access. However, you should only use that feature if your computer has a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) or is a laptop with a battery. Reason is because if your power goes out you'll lose data in RAM and you'll more than likely have some file corruption. With a UPS as a battery backup that threat is mitigated. I own a CyberPower CP850PFCLCD which is meant for active power supplies. It gives me about 20 minutes of standby time should the power go out. More than enough time to safely save my work, close a game, etc and power off the computer normally. I get about 15 minutes of standby time while flying in FSX.

Rereading your post, you say you have a per-built machine? Then you more than likely need to upgrade the PSU as a new GPU more than likely won't work with the PSU you have now since the computer manufacturer only uses a PSU that provides enough power for what's in the machine at time of purchase. What is the make and model of your computer? Do you have a web link to it by chance? The other possible limiting factor could be the space in the computer for a new GPU like you pointed out. I'd have to check the dimensions of a GTX 1070 and your case specifications.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 01-19-2019 at 04:23 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.
    !M [email protected] B5A9 =G s5FCB *CFA9GHF5B8 5B8 { <5J9 [email protected] <9F9 HC H<9 @=6F5FM

Thanks a lot for the kind reply.
    I have tried to find the exact PC on English sites but I couldn’t. Based on what info I get from you, guys I will talk to someone who can make the upgrade. I couldn’t add an additional Hard drive by myself

Here is the link

https://www.emag.ro/sistem-desktop-p.../pd/DWQ91MBBM/

And a translation:

Length 543.7 mm
    Depth 216 mm
    Height 480.8 mm
    Weight 14.36 Kg
    color Black
    PROCESSOR

Intel processor manufacturer
    Processor type i7
    Model Processor 4790K
    Number of cores 4
    Number of threads 8
    Devil's Canyon architecture
    Nominal frequency 4000 MHz
    Turbo Boost Frequency 4400 MHz
    Cache 8 MB
    Processor technology 22 nm
    Integrated Graphics Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MOTHERBOARD

Socket processor 1150
    Intel Z97 chipset
    Onboard 1 x PCI Express x16 slots
    1 x PCI Express x1
    1 x PCI Express x8
    1 x VGA Back Panel Ports
    1 x HDMI
    1 x RJ-45
    1 x DVI-D
    6 x Audio
    1 x PS / 2
    6 x USB 3.0
    1 x SPDIF
    4 x USB 2.0
    Total number of memory slots 4
    10/100/1000 network
    MEMORY RAM

DDR3 memory type
    16 GB memory capacity
    Memory frequency 1600 MHz
    32 GB maximum memory
    Slots occupied 2
    CAPACITY STORAGE

HDD + SSD storage type
    1 TB HDD / SSHD capacity
    HDD / SSHD SATA interface
    HDD rotation speed 7200 rpm
    128 GB SSD capacity
    VIDEO CARD

Dedicated video card type
    NVIDIA GeForce video chipset
    GTX 960 video card model
    2 GB video memory capacity
    Memory Type GDDR5 Video Card
    NVIDIA SLI video cards technologies
    nVIDIA CUDA
    nVidia 3D Vision Ready
    nVidia PhysX
    nVidia Adaptive Vertical Sync
    nVidia GPU Boost
    4K Resolution Support
    Number of video cards 1
    CARCASA & SURSA

Full Tower Case type
    500 W power source
    Blu-ray Optical Drive

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mircea

Quote Originally Posted by atr_42_500 View Post
    It works fine for P3dV3 but I want to go for V4 and get good FPS at medium-to-high graphic settings.
    If it works fine for P3Dv3 then my suggestion would be to do nothing and try it with v4. From there you can determine whether your GPU is maxed out (possibly, depending on resolution) or whether your CPU is hitting its limits.

If you do need a GPU upgrade the 2060 seems like an interesting proposition.

Cheers!

Luke

Thanks, Luke,
    I already have installed v4 and got the Aerosoft Airbus. At an add on airport with some weather and medium graphics graphics + 30% AI traffic settings I get up to 14 FPS away from scenery, somewhere between 7 and 12 at the airport . It’s not enough. So I think I need an upgrade. Just need to figure out if I need to invest in a new video card or a better processor. I would not want to spend more than 600-650 EUR.

Mircea

Just need to figure out if I need to invest in a new video card or a better processor. I would not want to spend more than 600-650 EUR.
    As a first step, I'd consider overclocking your CPU. There are numerous articles around the Internet about how to overclock a 4790k and you should be able to get it up to about 4.6GHz without too much trouble. However, you'll almost certainly need a new CPU cooler. For air coolers, look at the Noctua NH-D15S or, better still, get a good all-in-one liquid cooler like the Corsair H100 - check you have enough space before buying. Neither are particularly inexpensive but look at it as an investment for any future system upgrade.

Even if you don't overclock, I'd definitely look at a GPU upgrade as you'll probably be limited by the 2GB of VRAM on your current card. Look at the new RTX 2060 which you should be able to find for a similar price to the GTX 1070 but with better performance.

Thanks a lt. Actually the system has a built-in OC, doesn’t make a difference when turned on. So it seems I have to go with the new card.
    Cheers
    Mircea

Mircea

Thanks a lt. Actually the system has a built-in OC, doesn’t make a difference when turned on.
    A lot of the earlier automated overclocking features on motherboards were sketchy at best. As I said in an earlier post, there are many online tutorials for manually overclocking your CPU rather than trusting the built in feature of your MB.

Thanks.I’ll check that first, then.

Mircea

If you suspect your video card is at its limits, run nvidia inspector - it should tell you what % of the GPU is in use... if it's constantly over 90%, yes, you're GPU-bound.

Cheers!

Luke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast