Adding New Event To FSX Controller Settings

BigT-65

There are lots of events in the Controller settings of FSX that I will never use. And there are a few settings I would like to have that are not on there. Particularly some settings that are unique to the VRS Superbug. Is it possible to change some of those unwanted events to something new or to add a new event to the list? There is a "New Assignment" button but it does the same thing as "Change Assignment". I had been using FSUIPC4 but I got a new Saitek X56 Rhino and had a lot of trouble with throttles among my various aircraft. By using the FSX Controller Settings only and disabling FSUIPC4 I have solved the throttles problem but It would be great if I could add a few new events to the FSX Controller Settings list. Is it possible?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What's wrong with changing an assignment from something you believe you'll never use to something you WILL use?

I do it all the time. I find an action I desire to utilize that doesn't have a key-combo or controller button, find something else I don't ever utilize, and utilize it's key-combo or controller button. Example: I wanted to have a button on my joystick assigned to Anti-Skid toggle. I found a button assigned to flaps up, and since I always use the keyboard for that, just out of habit, it became my button for anti-skid toggle. Problem solved. I've done it with key combo's, buttons, whatever. Works for a treat.

As far as I know, however, if you want to add an action of some kind, that doesn't have an K:Var assigned in the sim, you can't add one, no. Maybe with the payware version of FSUIPC you can, with a LUA script, but that's the only way I know of. To the best of my knowledge, you can't add new action to the Standard.XML file.

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I came across the problem of non standard fsx events whilst building my cockpit which is based on the Carenado Phenom 300 which has a lot of un-assignable events. I solved it with Lua scripts using the payware version of fsuipc and the freeware fsuipc interface called LINDA.

It's not for the faint hearted though.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What's wrong with changing an assignment from something you believe you'll never use to something you WILL use?

I do it all the time. I find an action I desire to utilize that doesn't have a key-combo or controller button, find something else I don't ever utilize, and utilize it's key-combo or controller button. Example: I wanted to have a button on my joystick assigned to Anti-Skid toggle. I found a button assigned to flaps up, and since I always use the keyboard for that, just out of habit, it became my button for anti-skid toggle. Problem solved. I've done it with key combo's, buttons, whatever. Works for a treat.

As far as I know, however, if you want to add an action of some kind, that doesn't have an K:Var assigned in the sim, you can't add one, no. Maybe with the payware version of FSUIPC you can, with a LUA script, but that's the only way I know of. To the best of my knowledge, you can't add new action to the Standard.XML file.

Does that answer your questions?

Pat☺

If you do this you still can't change the name of the action. For Anti Skid you have to use the event named Flaps Up. You can't change the name of the event to Anti Skid. Correct?

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS.[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. If Flaps Down Incremental was assigned the joystick key 5, just for example, and I delete that assignment and change it to Anti Skid assigned to Joystick key 5, that's what you'll see if you look down the list in the Controls settings.

No, it doesn't change the K:event Flaps Down Incremental, it merely removes the assigned keypress, and changes the keypress to the K:event Anti Skid Toggle.

I don't believe you can change the K:events names. I believe they are set in exe stone, so to speak. Whatever keypress is assigned to it K:Flaps_Down_Incremental will lower the flaps, not open the canopy, or toggle the anitskid. Is that what you meant? Change a K:Event to DO something other than what it's name says?

You COULD, on the other hand, use L:Vars to accomplish a workaround for this. For example, you want the K:Event Flaps down incremental to actually toggle the anti-skid.

K:Flaps_down_Incremental (>L:Myvar)

L:Myvar (>K:Anti_skid_Toggle)

Put that coding, with the correct names, of course, into an XML for a cockpit's switch, and no matter what, if you activate the Flaps Down Incremental keypress, whatever keypress is assigned to it, whether it's F7, or CTRL+F or whatever, it will ALSO toggle the anti-skid. You could throw another line in so that whatever action is used for Flaps Down Incremental won't lower the flaps at all, ONLY toggle the AS.

I think L:MyVar (>A:Flaps_Down) ==0

might do it, but I'm not sure. I'd have to do some experimentation to get the exact syntax down, but you get the idea.

Does all this babbling answer your concerns?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived