MagVar update required!

tiger1962

The Earth's magnetic field is moving faster than expected, and Magnetic North will officially change on January 15th:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00007-1

The Magnetic North location map from 1900-2015 in this article is quite an eye-opener...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Or later....................
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

The Earth is definitely acting in strange ways recently. The ring of fire is in fact on fire, and then the magnetic field is fluctuating. Though the article mentions it due to a jet of liquid iron under Canada.

Quite scary when you think about the plate tectonic activity in Indonesia and all around the ring of fire, because there is one or two super volcanoes there and if they go off it may be an extinction level event.

Personally, life does need a reset button, and that might get pushed sooner or latter. Maybe in my life time. Man kind is so enveloped with greed, money, power and the "end time" as it's called may be here. Never mind a possible solar flare that could really mess things for everyone. It happened before prior to the Civil war in the 1800's. It's not a matter of if but when.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

I think you missed the update at the top of the article that says the release of the change will be on Jan 30, due to the gov. shutdown.

I don't think it was there when I posted the link originally, they must have updated it just after - what a situation, really...

However, the point is, will this change necessitate a runway re-numbering and VOR re-tuning exercise in the Northern Hemisphere at least?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

However, the point is, will this change necessitate a runway re-numbering and VOR re-tuning exercise in the Northern Hemisphere at least?

It's likely so, depending on the individual situation, but since they're making the change official I'd expect that process to be needed at least at many airports, depending on runway heading (how far off is it now from the nearest 10º and which direction), and on the VORs.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived