Is Microsoft Flight Simulator X good and realistic enough for a beginner?

Aplam

I've always wanted to try a flight sim, but have only played a tiny little bit of some MS Flight Sim (2004 or 2002) back in the day and just wanted to come back to the long-abandoned aspiration of mine. I've already bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and stuff, and have the Steam edition of MS Flight Simulator X.

I've seen a lot of people online, saying that it's pretty bad now (the MS Flight X) and I should better get P3D, but it's 200 bucks, not really suitable for my student pocket, lol.

So am I good with the FSX:SE? Is it a good all-rounder, realistic enough to learn how to pilot a small plane in the simplest terms possible?

I've always wanted to try a flight sim, but have only played a tiny little bit of some MS Flight Sim (2004 or 2002) back in the day and just wanted to come back to the long-abandoned aspiration of mine. I've already bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and stuff, and have the Steam edition of MS Flight Simulator X.

I've seen a lot of people online, saying that it's pretty bad now (the MS Flight X) and I should better get P3D, but it's 200 bucks, not really suitable for my student pocket, lol.

So am I good with the FSX:SE? Is it a good all-rounder, realistic enough to learn how to pilot a small plane in the simplest terms possible?

P3D is $59.95 for the Academic version and is offered on a full 60-day refund.

FSX:SE is OK as a training aid but is not refundable. It's also 32-bit whereas the latest P3D is 64-bit.

X-Plane is also an option and is also 64-bit in its latest iterations.

More research needed, as you want the sim that best fits your requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you have FSX:SE, so might as well stick to that.

For further realism, I'd rather put money into a yoke & pedals.

Bear in mind that add-ons for P3D are usually more expensive.

FSX is obviously not bad, as you can see by the number of users & add-ons.

Also, for P3D to work well, it needs a PC that is more ' loaded' than one that will run FSX:SE, & therefore more expensive.

So, stick to what you have, play with it, & enjoy. Go for P3D if the hobby REALLY grabs you.

Remember, there is no holy grail of sims. So try not to go chasing it, you will never find it!.

And to answer your question if FSX:SE is good enough for a beginner.. & to begin, start with the C172 & the lessons..

Most certainly YES! I belong to a virtual club that mentors school kids, & they practice their lessons on the PC after lectures.

WE have had quite a few passing their PPL's first time, & joining both the Air Force & the private sector.

AND the PC's are loaded with FS2004. So, it all depends on what you want out of the hobby, & how much you want to spend.

It's the immersion factor that is more important that the realism factor!

Regards,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived