Thread: Is Microsoft Flight Simulator X good and realistic enough for a beginner?

Default Is Microsoft Flight Simulator X good and realistic enough for a beginner?

I've always wanted to try a flight sim, but have only played a tiny little bit of some MS Flight Sim (2004 or 2002) back in the day and just wanted to come back to the long-abandoned aspiration of mine. I've already bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and stuff, and have the Steam edition of MS Flight Simulator X.

I've seen a lot of people online, saying that it's pretty bad now (the MS Flight X) and I should better get P3D, but it's 200 bucks, not really suitable for my student pocket, lol.

So am I good with the FSX:SE? Is it a good all-rounder, realistic enough to learn how to pilot a small plane in the simplest terms possible?
    Last edited by DominicS; 01-11-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Aplam View Post
    I've always wanted to try a flight sim, but have only played a tiny little bit of some MS Flight Sim (2004 or 2002) back in the day and just wanted to come back to the long-abandoned aspiration of mine. I've already bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and stuff, and have the Steam edition of MS Flight Simulator X.

I've seen a lot of people online, saying that it's pretty bad now (the MS Flight X) and I should better get P3D, but it's 200 bucks, not really suitable for my student pocket, lol.

So am I good with the FSX:SE? Is it a good all-rounder, realistic enough to learn how to pilot a small plane in the simplest terms possible?
    P3D is $59.95 for the Academic version and is offered on a full 60-day refund.

FSX:SE is OK as a training aid but is not refundable. It's also 32-bit whereas the latest P3D is 64-bit.
    X-Plane is also an option and is also 64-bit in its latest iterations.

More research needed, as you want the sim that best fits your requirements.