Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: External SSD for XP11?

1. Default

Hi everyone.
    I think there are many valid points being made in these posts. What I would like to see is Your Personal experience, other bench marks would be very difficult to analyze due to many variable. Here is what I have, SSD internal close to 6000 MB / sec. read throughput, which is what XP desires / needs to load that huge scenery. My test with the 3.0 Turbo, 5TB Seagate USB, 131MB/ Sec., this drive is a couple of years old there may be some faster ones presently.
    I would like to see anything external that comes close to the SSD in the pic. in a Read mode.
    I think you need to keep things in perspective, you, one, may be OK with some performance, which is totally unacceptable to others. but when it comes to speed you never have enough and there in NO WAY that you can come close to the internal transfer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image006.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	206903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image012.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	206904

Quote Originally Posted by LTCSZ View Post
    Hi: I am rapidly running out of space on my internal SSD that I have been using for XP11...Can anyone recommend an external SSD that would be fast enough (and large enough!) for XP11? Thanks a lot!
    Give the Samsung T5 USB drives a look.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11719...buts-in-retail
    https://www.storagereview.com/samsun..._ssd_t5_review

3. Default

Hi.
    OK, I will not try to convince some people about the speed / throughput / access time / transfer rate whatever you want to call it.
    Here are the facts, the theoretical max xfer rate of USB 3.0 is 625 MB/Sec, which I've never seen in real life / system, I am not sure how you are ever going to get close to 6000MB/sec.
    No contest, there is no external, including 3.2 USB-C, that can come close to internal performance.
    Last edited by flytv1; 01-05-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytv1 View Post
    Hi.
    OK, I will not try to convince some people about the speed / throughput / access time / transfer rate whatever you want to call it.
    Here are the facts, the theoretical max xfer rate of USB 3.0 is 625 MB/Sec, which I've never seen in real life / system, I am not sure how you are ever going to get close to 6000MB/sec.
    No contest, there is no external, including 3.2 USB-C, that can come close to internal performance.
    This thread was started by someone looking for recommendations for an external SSD to use, so let's try to help them out. No one has ever claimed that external drives will match the fastest internal drives, so no need to convince anyone of anything. If you want to continue that debate, please start a new thread.

5. Default

Hi.
    >>..Can anyone recommend an external SSD that would be fast enough (and large enough!) for XP11?<<
    The question was to work with XP?
    I think that it's important for people that are familiar with XP and system performance to respond in a practical way, give hands on experience. The OP I am sure looked at articles and benchmarks without us having to point to him.
    I respondent to the OP in my first post. XP wil Not work properly with any external devices. XP has issues even when you use internal SSD, that is the point, telling people that some articles that show information about some bench marks are of no practical help.
    If you can, get an internal, or you will have to live with stutters and slow performance.

Seeing as those Samsung external drives have similar performance to internal SATA SSDs, I still don't see a major problem. Unless you're trying to say that all X-Plane 11 users are running off internal NVMe SSDs and no one anywhere is using an internal SATA model. Looking around there are people using external drives for X-Plane, even just for scenery, and it's working for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2