FSX install issues!!!

CessnaFlyer

I had to reformat my new computer due to an issue I caused. and I am trying to reinstall FSX. but when I do I get the removing applications. and then after a bit it goes to installing but it don't have the back ground pictures so I don't know if it's installing right. here is a picture I found showing what I am talking about. so why are these not showing up any more?

maxresdefault.jpg

giving up on flight simulation for good:D

I always keep a cloned back-up of my drives. Also, I create a system restore point. Should I have issues, I can switch to the cloned drive and I'm up and running in minutes or I can select a restore point

and revert to a point before I had the issue. No need to reformat.

Are you getting a specific error? And if so what does it say? I can't read what it says in that picture.

Are you installing to the programs folder? If so, don't.

in that picture sir it says insert disk 2 that's one I found on the internet to show you what I am talking about. it don't have any errors yet. but for some reason the background pictures you get when installing FSX don't show up it just shows the install progress with a black background.

Just let it finish. Don't cancel the install mid way through.

oh ok so the background pictures it shows during installation has no bearing on weather FSX works right or not? then what are the back ground pictures it shows when installing? and also do system updates play a role? I don't remember?

ok so I talked to some one at Microsoft and they suggested getting all updates for the computer cause FSX is a Microsoft program. and they told me that the pictures not being in the background while this simulator is installing could be a bug or a glitch. so I am just wondering if there's something wrong with the first cd? cause they said if you continue installing with out the back ground pictures that the simulator it's self could be messed up. I been working on this for 2 days now and ain't got now where yet. :( it's not the computer it's the cd's I think. :(

im not getting the steam version I want the cd version. steam is a pita

I been working on this for 2 days now and ain't got now where yet. :((

Due respect, if you had FSX-SE you would have spent the last 2 days flying. Just saying.

peace,

the bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi,

cd/dvd burning software can cause problems when running the fsx install disks. To prevent either stop the burning software from auto starting at boot, or uninstall the burning software and reinstall it later.

See this about cyberlink burning software. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?300456-FSX-How-to-download-new-from-older-hard-copy

(other burning softwarer cause the issue too.)

Also, yes, after a fresh install of Windows you should always install all the system drivers, and then all the Windows updates before you start installing other software (like fsx).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Due respect, if you had FSX-SE you would have spent the last 2 days flying. Just saying.

peace,

the bean

all respect taken. lol but I am thinking that there maybe something I am missing with the set up of FSX on the Alienware. so I went back to my old Dell. she maybe old but I got to fly. but any way FSX uses windows updates and a file called msxml parser. and Microsoft visual C++. well on the old computer I installed those and the latest graphic drivers Before installing FSX. and it worked. when I reformatted the new computer I didn't install those first. so I'm thinking that's what messed every thing up. cause when I first got the new computer I could fly on it.

ok so I finally have the Alienware reformatting again. so after getting it to the desktop and every thing I will try installing FSX the way I did on the Dell computer. I will get every thing cleaned up including the registry and getting all the windows updates and install the stuff I need for FSX before trying to install it and see if it works then. if not I know a computer that will be looking for a new home. cause I have the Dell and the Alienware set up side by side so I can fly on one and work on the other. im hoping it works if not I'm out 2,450 bucks :(

Hi,

Not sure what OS version you are using on the 'Alienware' rig - I assume, based on your sig block, the Dell is on Win 7 but I am right in assuming that the Alien, being new, is Win 10. If so the following may be of help....(although the suggestions will also be of use if the Alien is also Win 7)

A 'vanilla' install of Win 10 will be without many early versions of a host of essential library packages that are used by older applications/games/programs etc - for example, dependant on the build state of the Windows installer used, it will only contain Direct X versions 10, 11 and possible 12.

Specific to FSX are the following:

As well as the C++ stuff (at least the 2005 and 2008 versions) also look at getting earlier versions of .NET framework packages from HERE (note versions 3.5 and 4 should suffice for FSX).

Also look at downloading the Direct X Redistribution package form HERE - FSX requires version 9C and the version provided on the FSX install disks is woefully out of date and incompatible with Win 10. The Redist package includes files for version 9, 10 and 11 and will install missing versions and replace invalid/corrupt/missing files of other version that are already installed.

With all of these downloads I suggest saving the files to a temp location and NOT running them directly from the download options. To install them right click on the saved file and select the Run as Administrator option. Reboot the PC (using the RESTART option) between each install - a PITA but essential to allow system files and the Registry to be updated.

The order in which you install the various package types is irrelevant but it is best to install older version in order - i.e C++ 2005 followed by C++ 2008.

Finally, note that you can have multiple versions of a package type installed - they will work happily alongside each other and apps/programs etc will use the most compatible version.

Regards

Brian

All good info, Brian! It will come in handy during his next reformatting in a week or so.;)

True, true.

When d'ya think our OP will wake up to the fact that W10 updates are neither instant, nor immediate? They are cumulative, and dependant on what went before.

It takes days to install Win 10 to current levels...

Hi,

Not sure what OS version you are using on the 'Alienware' rig - I assume, based on your sig block, the Dell is on Win 7 but I am right in assuming that the Alien, being new, is Win 10. If so the following may be of help....(although the suggestions will also be of use if the Alien is also Win 7)

A 'vanilla' install of Win 10 will be without many early versions of a host of essential library packages that are used by older applications/games/programs etc - for example, dependant on the build state of the Windows installer used, it will only contain Direct X versions 10, 11 and possible 12.

Specific to FSX are the following:

As well as the C++ stuff (at least the 2005 and 2008 versions) also look at getting earlier versions of .NET framework packages from HERE (note versions 3.5 and 4 should suffice for FSX).

Also look at downloading the Direct X Redistribution package form HERE - FSX requires version 9C and the version provided on the FSX install disks is woefully out of date and incompatible with Win 10. The Redist package includes files for version 9, 10 and 11 and will install missing versions and replace invalid/corrupt/missing files of other version that are already installed.

With all of these downloads I suggest saving the files to a temp location and NOT running them directly from the download options. To install them right click on the saved file and select the Run as Administrator option. Reboot the PC (using the RESTART option) between each install - a PITA but essential to allow system files and the Registry to be updated.

The order in which you install the various package types is irrelevant but it is best to install older version in order - i.e C++ 2005 followed by C++ 2008.

Finally, note that you can have multiple versions of a package type installed - they will work happily alongside each other and apps/programs etc will use the most compatible version.

yes sir. the Alienware is windows 10. and I will be trying tomorrow to get things going cause I was not home today

True, true.

When d'ya think our OP will wake up to the fact that W10 updates are neither instant, nor immediate? They are cumulative, and dependant on what went before.

It takes days to install Win 10 to current levels...

that's why I have both computers set up at the moment. I can fly on my old one still while I try to get FSX back into the Alienware.

some Win 10 tips WRT to re-installing and getting updates....

If possible use the latest build state available - see HERE.

Do not run a manual update session using the Check For Updates option - let it do its own checks for updates. If you run a manual update session you will not only download stable updates but also run the risk of downloading any updates that are still being tested - these may cause issues (see HERE)

Regards

Brian

some Win 10 tips WRT to re-installing and getting updates....

If possible use the latest build state available - see HERE.

Do not run a manual update session using the Check For Updates option - let it do its own checks for updates. If you run a manual update session you will not only download stable updates but also run the risk of downloading any updates that are still being tested - these may cause issues (see HERE)

Yes, Win10 updates may or may not require a prior update (`an-update-to-an-update`) to run properly.

Installing in the wrong order or in a rush is among the most likely reasons for an unstable OS.