FSX install issues!!!

CessnaFlyer

well after a lot of frustration I finally got FSX installed into the Alienware computer again the full thing and even took care of the registry issue with the acceleration pack. now all I have to do is transfer about 100+ files from my cd's to the computer and spend 3 days getting every thing reinstalled. :D
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
well after having a new computer for 3 months they scrapped it for me. because I would be playing a simulator and the thing would pixilate the screen and shut down. I thought at first it was an over heating issue. but I was not it had a junk hard drive and a bad power supply. and they wanted more to fix the thing then what the payments are on the computer. so I am back to my 6 year old computer and flying happily :)

well after having a new computer for 3 months they scrapped it for me. …..

.....it had a junk hard drive and a bad power supply.....

.....more to fix the thing then what the payments are on the computer.....

Consider talking to whatever organisation is responsible for trading standards/laws to ascertain your legal rights WRT refunds/replacement/repairs etc.

If the PC was brand new it should have come with a warranty - the length of the warranty and what is covered will depend on the make of the PC and specific country and, where applicable seeing as your in the USA, State requirements/laws.

If it was second hand then, again depending on specific country and/or State requirements/laws, it may be that the shop should have provided a limited warranty.

Either way, based on what you have said, it is clear that the PC was sold with some faulty part(s) and that the shop should have considered offering a like for like replacement or replacement of the failed items free of charge.

Regards

Brian

Damn - what kind of a dealer is that? Not fixing the customer's issue? This is someplace you should avoid doing business with.

Jorgen

it was Dell. but I had nothing but trouble with the computer since it had gotten to my house. about 2 days after I had it had a start menu error and had o be reformatted because of corrupt system files. then after that it wasn't running for anything and then finally I just went back to my XPS 8500. I got to fly on that for a little bit yesterday. never had any problems with it. but I am not so sure if I will get another Alienware computer or not?

If that was a new Dell computer that you bought, then I would certainly complain to Dell themselves. If it is their product, even if sold by a reseller, then their service department should be able to do something about it. But call Alienware HQ customer service first to give them a chance (keep a record of all calls and correspondence, even of the talks (or emails) you have had in person with the Alienware personnel).

Michael Dell (yes, the founder and president of the company) has been known to answer customer service calls himself for quality assurance. He is proud of Dell's reputation and will do something about it.

Please let us know about the developments.

Jorgen

If that was a new Dell computer that you bought, then I would certainly complain to Dell themselves. If it is their product, even if sold by a reseller, then their service department should be able to do something about it. But call Alienware HQ customer service first to give them a chance (keep a record of all calls and correspondence, even of the talks (or emails) you have had in person with the Alienware personnel).

Michael Dell (yes, the founder and president of the company) has been known to answer customer service calls himself for quality assurance. He is proud of Dell's reputation and will do something about it.

Please let us know about the developments.

Jorgen

I tried to but they only gave it a 90 day warranty. and guess what? it fried the hard drive and power supply after the warranty so they told me I would have to pay for the hard drive power supply and OS out of pocket. and it had a 2TB hard drive in it so those are not cheap then the power supply was probably a couple hundred bucks to. so I scrapped the thing. that's why I'm back to the XPS 8500. I don't know if I will get another new computer Just for my flight simulator or not? I did like how it handled the flight simulator though.

Only 90 days of warranty? If this computer was new, it should come with more than that, or do I remember the warranty laws in the States wrong?

Jorgen

Everything I see advertised for new Dell Alienware computers come with a full 1 year hardware warranty. He may have bought it from a "fly by night" computer shop?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Only 90 days of warranty? If this computer was new, it should come with more than that, or do I remember the warranty laws in the States wrong?

Jorgen

well the thing was a lemon since I got it. cause they sold it to me with out the cd rom drive. and then it was having nothing but errors and had been reformatted about 3 or 4 times. I'm glad I am back to my old trusty computer. it's been working faithfully ever since I got rid of the Alienware. and yes it was brand new. 2,449.89$ is what I have to get paid off.

…….. 2,449.89$ is what I have to get paid off...…..

As I stated in my earlier post (post #30) check your consumer rights....it may save you having to pay.....

Here in the UK we have a number of organisations (one example being the Citizens Advice Bureau) that give free advice on your legal rights, info on official organisations (both civil and government based) that can help and a suitable course of action. We also have a dedicated government organisation called Trading Standards whose role is to enforce trading standards and law. The organisation has regional offices that will also give advice on your rights and, if appropriate, investigate.

A quick Google search for US equivalents throws up a number of options:

Using the search phrase us equivalent of trading standards throws up this LINK - check the website to find a local office that you can contact.

Using the search phrase usa free legal advice - it appears to mainly give links to lawyers but this LINK may be of use.....

Regards

Brian

As I stated in my earlier post (post #30) check your consumer rights....it may save you having to pay.....

Here in the UK we have a number of organisations (one example being the Citizens Advice Bureau) that give free advice on your legal rights, info on official organisations (both civil and government based) that can help and a suitable course of action. We also have a dedicated government organisation called Trading Standards whose role is to enforce trading standards and law. The organisation has regional offices that will also give advice on your rights and, if appropriate, investigate.

A quick Google search for US equivalents throws up a number of options:

Using the search phrase us equivalent of trading standards throws up this LINK - check the website to find a local office that you can contact.

Using the search phrase usa free legal advice - it appears to mainly give links to lawyers but this LINK may be of use.....

thank you sir. that's fine I will start from scratch eventually any how. I want to customize a computer for what I need not what some one thinks I need.

• 1 month later...
i have another gaming computer coming NOT alien ware though. but I learned what I did wrong with the last computer when trying to install FSX lesson #1 I didn't install Microsoft visual c++ first. that was why I was not getting the scenery pictures or airplane pictures when installing it. when I installed the visual c++ first in the old one I had no problem. so I am going to take my time and do it right. lol. I will try and stay on the old computer if I can till the new one is up and running. the old computer is showing it's age:(

It may not just be the missing Visual C++ library - see my post (#4) in this THREAD…..

nice thanks. I will make a not of that. there also needs to be a change in the registry for windows 10 for FSX to work correctly as well. and I have that in my favorites so when the computer comes next week I can work on it when I have the time.