Which Orbx Sceneries Should I Buy?

LTCSZ

Where do you want to fly? For me, the west coast or the Rockies works best, but I suggest you decide what you want it to do. The various global pieces affect the world, but the regional sceneries add life to the sim affecting terrain, populating airports with aircraft, people, cars, flagpoles, dumpsters and more, even putting an occasional tractor or combine in a farm field. Even a few of the unpaved airports have been improved with sloping runways. Individual airports do a beautiful job at the airport, sometimes a couple more in the area, and with the immediately surrounding town, but don't work well if you don't have one of the globals or the region in which the airport resides.

So you need to decide what you expect out of the ORBX stuff, then you can narrow it down to which piece(s).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Where do you want to fly? For me, the west coast or the Rockies works best, but I suggest you decide what you want it to do. The various global pieces affect the world, but the regional sceneries add life to the sim affecting terrain, populating airports with aircraft, people, cars, flagpoles, dumpsters and more, even putting an occasional tractor or combine in a farm field. Even a few of the unpaved airports have been improved with sloping runways. Individual airports do a beautiful job at the airport, sometimes a couple more in the area, and with the immediately surrounding town, but don't work well if you don't have one of the globals or the region in which the airport resides.

So you need to decide what you expect out of the ORBX stuff, then you can narrow it down to which piece(s).

Top Gun has it right on the money … pick the places you want to fly and match the orbx areas as they are all excellent sceneries … if you are mostly IFR pilot, I would say mostly stick to the global range products, but VFR, you have many choices to pick from, any are a great choice and I believe their extended 24hr sale may still be going on 45% off

As they said, where are your personal flying interests? ORBX has a huge selection of areas from various places in the world.

Last year there was a round-the-world in 80 days rally for simmers. The concept was to it the spots portrayed in the book during a 80 day period. I entered and bought a ton of ORBX scenery for places on the route. I found the trip much more enjoyable using the ORBX scenery that applied at any given time.:cool::cool:

They don't cover the world yet, but they're getting there. If you want, they also offer a ton of freeware to go along with the payware. Being as they're from Australia the Oceania segment seems to have the most freeware. You might try that area with payware and freeware as a first step.

Be advised, ORBX can become very addictive and it certainly isn't cheap!! Having said that, as a low and slow former RW pilot I still prefer that style of flying with a sim. IMHO ORBX covers the world low and slow better than anyone else.

BTW: An old friend flyies England a lot and prefers photo-real scenery so everything looks as you expect to find it using his Ordinance Survey maps. YOU MIGHT WANT TO BUY AT LEAST ONE PIECE OF PHOTO-REAL SCENERY OF AN AREA YOU KNOW WELL, THEN COMPARE THAT SAME AREA TO ORBX TO SEE WHICH YOU PREFER, BEFORE YOU BUT A TON OF ORBYX!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Anywhere you like, and any mixture you want - Prioritise Regions as they come with a fairly full gamut of amended airfields and airports, then add a couple of addon detailed fields or ports depending on your preferences.

It's your sim, YOUR choice...

Archived