Here's to FS9

richiemo

Just a general statement - no offense meant. I just downloaded X-plane 11 demo. Popped around a bit. Sorry, but much like FSX did, X-Plane makes me appreciate FS9 even more. Our planes are more realistic, our sounds are better, and our frame rates are better. I operate at 60 fps in FS9 even with add-on airports, no stutters no nothing. How can it be that in this day and age, software like X-Plane can't have same FPS as 14 year old technology. It blows my mind. And I have i7 with strong graphics cards. Anyway, here's a toast to FS9....ol' reliable. I don' think I'll ever leave it.

Hi.

It is very likely that FS9, and FSX, P3D, will be around for quite a while. XP11 has made some progress but if you want to use it as a tool, for VFR navigation using ground references, and have a system that is not the ultimate in throughput those are still best to use.

To use XP11, in particular the later versions like 11.30, you will need a very powerful system, and most of the load is due to some obscure features that are useless, for all practical purpose, in my opinion. Many of the ground references are missing, and some airports also, but if you like to use it as a visual stimulator, and can put up with expanded time below 20FPS, it does OK.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to agree about FS9 - it's still the benchmark I use to rate later/modern flight sims. The only thing more modern sims have over FS9 in my opinion is cloud shadows - if cloud shadows could be added to FS9, it would be the perfect modern flight sim in terms of the balance between graphics and performance.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have to agree about FS9 - it's still the benchmark I use to rate later/modern flight sims. The only thing more modern sims have over FS9 in my opinion is cloud shadows - if cloud shadows could be added to FS9, it would be the perfect modern flight sim in terms of the balance between graphics and performance.

Agree. Hard to beat FS9 at all. I see no reason to change.

Yes, cloud shadows and maybe internal cockpit shadows. Sloping runways are one of the biggest selling points of X11 for me.

We actually do have sloping runways in FS2004.

The late Garry Smith gave us sloping runways and ramps in his Ford Tri-Motor scenery. There's even a sloping runway down a mountain slope, so you can ski down it, nd even do an Evil Kanieval type vehicle jump. There's even a circular runway.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived