fs9 sound problem

Steeltrap007

I don't have sound of my plane from exterior. And no sound for ATC. Do I have to reinstall and try again? I've had to reinstall so many times now, but it is still worth it to me. fs9 has put out so many freeware addons, fsx to me, doesn't seem to measure up. I hope I don't offend anybody with that comment. Not meant to.

Hi Steeltrap,

I have an idea that may do the trick because it solved an identical problem I had many years ago. Your problem is very likely caused by corrupted audio CODECs. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall the original Windows CODECs. These files are not a part of FS9.

As I look over my old notes, there's a reference to Microsoft Knowledge Base KB177252. This all happened about 12 years ago, but KB177252 should still be available to help you. The subject relates to a Flight Simulator with no pilot voices, ATC voices and problems with engine sounds. This KB is for older versions of Windows but it may give you a clue about how to proceed.

I know virtually nothing about CODECs, so that's about all I can do at this time. Good luck.

Regards,

JerryH

I would not suspect a codec issue as that would affect all sounds. Are the missing exterior sounds only for one aircraft? If so, check the sound.cfg for that plane and note the path to the EXT sounds; check that they are present, and double click one to see if windows will play it.

jgf --- What you said about the CODECs is very logical. But in my case, the CODEC issue affected only the ATC and jet engine sound. All other FS sounds were okay.

So I still believe reinstalling the CODECs is worth a try.

Regards,

JerryH

Two things you can try:

1) Try deleting your FS9.cfg file. Back it up first to your desktop. If you have no idea where in the world that file is at, then run the best damn little fast search program ever called Everything.exe In Everything just search for fs9.cfg and you'll find it. From there you can copy then paste it to your desktop and then delete it. Mind you there may be more than one variant like a backup fs9.cfg, etc. You just want fs9.cfg.

2) Go into your Windows audio properties and mess around in there. Make sure your default audio device is indeed set for your speakers. If you see more than one audio device, that could pose a problem.

The KB177252 article shows a 404 in typical Micosucks fashion. Yet it's mentioned all over the Internet in reference to this exact FS sound problem. I couldn't even pull up a cached web page. I'll try the wayback machine next and see what I come up with. EDIT- And the damn wayback machine doesn't have it.

In the mean time, if it is a bad CODEC you might be able to repair it with a sfc /scannow command.

To do that go to Windows search. Type in cmd. Right click cmd and open as Admin. In the black DOS box enter sfc /scannow

Note the space between sfc and the /. There's a space there. You can simply copy/paste this command into the DOS/terminal/black box thing. What ever Winblows calls there's. LOL

Download link for Everything.exe

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

jgf --- What you said about the CODECs is very logical. But in my case, the CODEC issue affected only the ATC and jet engine sound. All other FS sounds were okay.

So I still believe reinstalling the CODECs is worth a try.

Regards,

JerryH

That's more than likely due to the fact the audio files used in the Sim are coded in a certain way and only played/understood by a certain CODEC. I'll have to look at my FS2004 backup and FSX install and see what format and bit rate the audio files are encoded in. Then I may be able to ascertain what CODEC is used exactly.

Most of the audio files are played with a PCM CODEC. Try this once. In the program Everything.exe, find the file c172_rpm1.wav. Open it. Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, no CODEC problem. Read what I said about deleting your FS9.cfg file.

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Edit-

I see that the ATC WAV files are encoded with the ADPCM CODEC. Can you play this file with Windows Media Player? https://app.box.com/s/muulaa17zi6nrkmma9e07lbhrfipty33

Don't play it in the browser. Download the audio file and play it on your computer.

Hi, I just installed the Maule, with 7 versions. I loaded it up, went outside the plane and there was my exterior engine sound. I then went to my Cessna 337, which I use regularly, and no exterior engine sound.only the sound of where the rubber meets the road on taxiing. Why the Maule was different, I don't understand. I need to tell you that I'm still a baby chick with all this. codecs are just foreign to me. I can just fly the Maules for a while. They are a very good model. I've also discovered the same problem with exterior engine sounds in my FSX.

Hi CRJ. I played your soundfile forADPCM and no sound. It also seems to be a lot of concern about Everything.exe having or being a dangerous virus. Am skiddish about that install. I also checked exterior sounds on some default aircraft, and no sound. Thank you. I really appreciate your help. I just played from my c182 sound config file 4 rpm waves on my windows media player. and they all sounded terrific. Like the exterior sound that I am looking for.

So you downloaded the sound file I gave you and played it on your computer and it didn't play? The download button is top left.

Everything.exe is not a virus. You can upload it to Virus Total to be sure. I think your anti-virus is creating a false positive. What anti-virus do you use?

Use everything.exe and search for the audio file c172_rpm1.wav. Try to play it. Does it play?

So the sound file I gave you to download did not play? No audio?

If true you have a codec problem.

Try this:

Go to the Search under the Windows Start orb. Type in CMD. Right click CMD and run as Admin.

In the black DOS box enter the following:

sfc /scannow

sc337.zip I don't remember where I got it. But all the default planes, including the c172 have no wxterior sounds in the simulator. I only went into the c172 sound config to listen to and I heard it. I also discovered that I have the same problem in fsx, no exterior sound.

I also did the CMD and it said that there were no violations. I'm sorry, I don't know what the protocol is for this site. How long should I figure to wait before checking for a response. I've never done a forum before. I just want to find others with similar interests but I have very little knowledge of computers or even much experience with sim. I have been at it sincee 5.1, but haven't learned a lot about nav. and my friends that I used to interact with have both died of old age.I'm still only 68.Please excuse my inexperience. Or, I could just get back to myself.

Do you get an error playing the audio file? If so, read this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926373/you-receive-a-codec-error-message-or-audio-plays-but-video-does-not-pl

What operating system are you using?

Go to cmd again and enter dxdiag. Are there any issues? Go through each tab. Then at the bottom chose the 64 bit option and go through each tab again.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Do you have audio that comes out of your monitor?

No audio from the monitor. No issues from the new cmd procedure. AMD Athlon x4 760k Quadcore 3.8ghz 64 bit DX12 oper sys on 100g solid state, other int mem 1ter. 1 ext mem 1 ter. external speaker sys w/boombox. My first comp w/ability to run fsx since I first bought it when it first came out. It's been a long time coming. But my fav is still fs9.

Archived