Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fs9 sound problem

1. Default fs9 sound problem

I don't have sound of my plane from exterior. And no sound for ATC. Do I have to reinstall and try again? I've had to reinstall so many times now, but it is still worth it to me. fs9 has put out so many freeware addons, fsx to me, doesn't seem to measure up. I hope I don't offend anybody with that comment. Not meant to.

Look in Options/Settings/Sound and made sure the sliders for everything is set at least to 1/2. I have my ATC slider set to 100%.

Also, go to Options/Settings/ATC and make sure that Use a Pilot Voice is checked, and a pilot voice is selected.
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

3. Default

Thank you for your response. I've already done those things and still no joy. I even tried to change pilot voices, and sound quality from high to medium, but no change.

Hi Steeltrap,

I have an idea that may do the trick because it solved an identical problem I had many years ago. Your problem is very likely caused by corrupted audio CODECs. The solution is to uninstall and reinstall the original Windows CODECs. These files are not a part of FS9.

As I look over my old notes, there's a reference to Microsoft Knowledge Base KB177252. This all happened about 12 years ago, but KB177252 should still be available to help you. The subject relates to a Flight Simulator with no pilot voices, ATC voices and problems with engine sounds. This KB is for older versions of Windows but it may give you a clue about how to proceed.

I know virtually nothing about CODECs, so that's about all I can do at this time. Good luck.

Regards,
    JerryH

I would not suspect a codec issue as that would affect all sounds. Are the missing exterior sounds only for one aircraft? If so, check the sound.cfg for that plane and note the path to the EXT sounds; check that they are present, and double click one to see if windows will play it.

jgf --- What you said about the CODECs is very logical. But in my case, the CODEC issue affected only the ATC and jet engine sound. All other FS sounds were okay.

So I still believe reinstalling the CODECs is worth a try.

Regards,
    JerryH

7. Default

Two things you can try:

1) Try deleting your FS9.cfg file. Back it up first to your desktop. If you have no idea where in the world that file is at, then run the best damn little fast search program ever called Everything.exe In Everything just search for fs9.cfg and you'll find it. From there you can copy then paste it to your desktop and then delete it. Mind you there may be more than one variant like a backup fs9.cfg, etc. You just want fs9.cfg.

2) Go into your Windows audio properties and mess around in there. Make sure your default audio device is indeed set for your speakers. If you see more than one audio device, that could pose a problem.

The KB177252 article shows a 404 in typical Micosucks fashion. Yet it's mentioned all over the Internet in reference to this exact FS sound problem. I couldn't even pull up a cached web page. I'll try the wayback machine next and see what I come up with. EDIT- And the damn wayback machine doesn't have it.

In the mean time, if it is a bad CODEC you might be able to repair it with a sfc /scannow command.

To do that go to Windows search. Type in cmd. Right click cmd and open as Admin. In the black DOS box enter sfc /scannow

Note the space between sfc and the /. There's a space there. You can simply copy/paste this command into the DOS/terminal/black box thing. What ever Winblows calls there's. LOL

Download link for Everything.exe

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 12-30-2018 at 05:29 PM.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    jgf --- What you said about the CODECs is very logical. But in my case, the CODEC issue affected only the ATC and jet engine sound. All other FS sounds were okay.

So I still believe reinstalling the CODECs is worth a try.

Regards,
    JerryH

That's more than likely due to the fact the audio files used in the Sim are coded in a certain way and only played/understood by a certain CODEC. I'll have to look at my FS2004 backup and FSX install and see what format and bit rate the audio files are encoded in. Then I may be able to ascertain what CODEC is used exactly.

OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

9. Default

Hello, I have no idea about these codecs. I'll have to consult with my computer guy. Thanks for your input. I've been at this for a while, but all I"ve learned to do so far, is installing scenery and airplane zips. Not much to say for myself.

10. Default

Most of the audio files are played with a PCM CODEC. Try this once. In the program Everything.exe, find the file c172_rpm1.wav. Open it. Does it play in Windows Media Player? If so, no CODEC problem. Read what I said about deleting your FS9.cfg file.

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

Edit-

I see that the ATC WAV files are encoded with the ADPCM CODEC. Can you play this file with Windows Media Player? https://app.box.com/s/muulaa17zi6nrkmma9e07lbhrfipty33

Don't play it in the browser. Download the audio file and play it on your computer.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 01-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.

OOM errors? Read this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast