Under attack and landing. Should you continue landing?

il2crashesnfails

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!

If it were me, I think the choice I would make would be to keep duckin'-and-dodgin' at the best speed I could until near "Home Base", and then hit the silk.

The Brits didn't shoot fellow aviators out of the shroud lines. They were after the machine, not the men in it.

On the other hand, if you bail out, the machine is a total loss, whereas when you brought it down, there were parts that could be salvaged. Maybe an advantage to a total loss.

Those are just my thoughts. I get so few of them any more...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

An aircraft - and its crew - are at the most risk during take-off and landing.

What kind of pilot would risk both by attempting a landing in the presence of enemy fighters?

Seems like more naivety that real warfighters don't suffer from. For long...

If there are enemy aircraft around, go somewhere else.

Yeah!

If it were me, I think the choice I would make would be to keep duckin'-and-dodgin' at the best speed I could until near "Home Base", and then hit the silk.

The Brits didn't shoot fellow aviators out of the shroud lines. They were after the machine, not the men in it.

On the other hand, if you bail out, the machine is a total loss, whereas when you brought it down, there were parts that could be salvaged. Maybe an advantage to a total loss.

Those are just my thoughts. I get so few of them any more...

Pat☺

I think you would find that was true of pilots of unoccupied countries. Poles and Greeks and other escaped pilots of the Nazi and Axis took a different view...

Archived