Improving the sound of Ai traffic

DCA996

I fly with DC3 Airways using the MJ C47 v3.1.6.

However, in multiplayer with other C47's they all sound like single engine Cessna's etc. which sound awful anyway.

Is there a relatively straight forward means to rename some sound files in the sound folder etc. and replace them with others from the MJ C47 so that the other multiplayer or Ai DC3's and C47's use the same sound set as my C47?

I believe it may be possible though an alias, though I'm not sure. Let me check on my desktop latter tonight and see what I can come up with. I know that my F-22 used the Lear 45 for sound which was dumb a s all hell. So I added my own sounds form a twin engine Mitsubishi jet of some sort and it sounds beautiful now. You can hear it in my video under the videos sections here in the forum.

Probably the simplest thing is to copy the sound folder under the aircraft folder and call it soundai. Then in the new folder, change sound.cfg to soundai.cfg. There are aliasing mechanisms that can reduce the storage space and do other things, but try this first to be sure it does what you want. You may have to restart the sim after this change.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Okay, here's what you do to alias the sound.

Open the sound folder for the aircraft you want to change its sounds. In there there is a sound.cfg file. You can rename it a .txt or right click it an open with Notepad ++ providing you have it installed.

An alias looks like this:

[fltsim]
alias=Lear45\sound

So that obviously would alias to the Lear 45. I think you can understand now how to alias to another aircraft.

This works fine for individual aircraft sound, but the OP was talking about AI sound, so the aliasing, though similar, would need to be done to the soundai.cfg file in the soundai folder.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Not the same syntax. It would have to be something like:

alias=..\..\..\airplanes\lear45\soundai

the extra ..\ (plural) because the ai planes are probably not in the simobjects folder. And it needs to link to a soundai folder (that has a soundai.cfg of it's own.

As most planes don't have such a folder, instead of adding those to default planes and linking, it is easier to just add a working soundai folder to the ai aircraft themselves directly.

Easier to do, and easier to keep track of.

Also, you probably have to change

sound_lod=1

to

sound_lod=0

in the p3d.cfg file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The lear you showed can, indeed, use the same line (syntax is same in all, but details differ), since the lear is in the simobjects/airplanes folder, as are the default ai aircraft (P3D V2.5). If it's add-on AI, then details may, indeed, differ, depending on the respective details, and may need that parental construction.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Not the same syntax.

Looks like each AI aircraft or any aircraft can have a soundai folder and within it a soundai.cfg with about the same syntax I posted on.

[uh-bout]

See more synonyms for about on Thesaurus.com

preposition

of; concerning; in regard to: instructions about the work; a book about the Civil War.

connected or associated with: There was an air of mystery about him.

near; close to: a man about my height; about six o'clock.

Also, you probably have to change

sound_lod=1

to

sound_lod=0

in the p3d.cfg file.

I could have sworn I was in the FSX subforum. Now I'm not even sure what I posted makes sense for P3D or not. I was looking at FSX, specifically my install of FSX Deluxe boxed.

It's actually the same syntax, syntax being the rules, rather than the actual "words," the "words" being somewhat different.

Now I'm not even sure what I posted makes sense for P3D or not.

It does, at least through V2.5 -- FSX and P3D V2.5 are the same for that part of it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Archived